Kay Jewelers / in store treatment

1 Catskill, NY, United States

Kay Jewelers recently opened a store in Catskill, NY. A friend told me she was in there, and was treated very well by an informed young lady.
I went in, Tuesday July 10th, AM. I had seen a silver ring with a Turquoise Stone I was interested in purchasing on your website.
I have a couple of Gold Signet Rings that didn't fit on my right hand anymore. I went in to inquire about selling one or both for the gold content, and using that money for the silver ring.
The young lady at the counter was very courteous, told me Kay Jewelers didn't buy gold, but possibly I could have them appraised to see their value.
She said I would have to see the manager, who was talking to another customer.
I waited until he came over. I should add that I had on a Tee Shirt, Jean Shorts, & Moccasins with no socks.
The young lady showed him the rings, and told him about her appraisal comment. He gave her a nasty look, looked at me, and at the rings with disdain. He told me in an abrupt manner that he would charge me $150 for each ring for the appraisal & turned his back.
Maybe if was dressed in my normal attire when I worked in the Financial District of NYC, before I retired at 45 years old, I would have been treated with more respect.
Needless to say I will not enter a Kay Jewelers again. That attitude might work on Rodeo Drive, but not in a rural community in the Hudson Valley.
Albany, NY has numerous jewelers where I will receive the respect any customer deserves no matter how they are dressed.
Alan O