Kaplan University / fraud and scam

1 1801 East Kimberly RaodDavenport, IA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-527.5268

I was about to enroll @ this University because it sounded very interesting the way that they are conducting business, very professional on the phone and convincing. Until I got to the Financial aid and loans documents. It is a truly RIPOFF. $353 per credit and in order for you to get a degree not only had you had run off of all your Financial aid, but they have gotten you into a huge debt of $40, 000 that projected with interest you would end up paying a total of some $83, 000. I am glad I read your comments. I have called the University back to cancel the loan & financial aid requested and for them to refund my $45.00 enrollment fee. It seems that everyone depend on only one person the Admissions Advisor who needs to call me back to undo everything we have done so far.

Thanks guys. If am not refund the $45.00 at least I have learned a good lesson and you can be proud of your input because you made e a one less victim.

Sa

Comments

18th of Dec, 2008

Here's the real truth about Kaplan, a private college that is only interested in collect 30, 000 from you. Don't go to this school if you want to be ripped off by financial aid, and other big wigs within the school. For those of you who didn't know it Kaplan is not an accredited school, in fact your 'degree' from them would be totally useless, in fact if you were to look closely when walking by there 'extership' room there is a sign that post the stats of there placement rate, in the last year it was at 50% which to me is a very low placement rate for a school that promises you the world and doesn't deliver... imagine if they were to try and place you in a job after you complete your degree? What is the likelihood that they would get the job done?? Look at the facts. Also be warned of financial aid and student services, they will do everything possible to withhold you financial aid that comes from the government, IT IS YOUR MONEY!!! Kaplan seems to think that just because your attendance is not good enough that they can keep your money, a fact they do not tell you when you first enroll... Oh and if you are to post on this site and their so called 'marketing' people see and attend the school you can expect to be called into the campus president's office and told to your face 'I wish you would leave' don't be surprised.

Kaplan may claim that their a business college however they have no sense of the word and probably never will, DON'T BE FOOLED.

• Di
      29th of Dec, 2008

Several years ago, when online education was becoming really popular and new "universities" were popping up on every street corner, my husband looked at Kaplan. Lou is a 64 year old surviving cancer patient with dementia and totally disabled. At the time I was working everyday and was not at home to see what he was doing. The councelor at Kaplan told Lou he could get his certificate and it would be paid for by the government because he was a veteran. The next thing I know citibank sends a bill for $4k. I called Kaplan continuously. No one would return my calls. His so called councelor was no longer with them. Funny how higher education facilities are willing to educate those that are not capable to perform everday living tasks, not able to work or make an income but can qualify for loans. Really funny a bank doesn't even do credit checks to see what the situation is but willing to dole out cash. Now we know how the banks and wall street got into the mess they are in. Now I have a $4k bill I can't pay, Kaplan has the money, the bank lost out and a scam is a scam is a scam.

• Mi
      11th of Feb, 2009

Kaplan University is a huge rip off. It is not a good school once they are claiming you owe money that you really don't and they charge you money and higher rates that you don't even know about. I do not like these type of people. They charged me over 9k in 2007 for online classes. They changed the rate in the middle of the year that I didn't even know about, and when my term was almost over, they call me to tell me I still over them over 1, 000 dollars that I didn't know anything about. I asked my financial aid adviser about, and he said it was a mistake. The financial aid adviser never answered the phone, they changed my counselor about 2 to 3 times, and they never called when they were suppose to. I never heard from the first one and the second one called only one time. That's why they've lost their contract to Citi Bank. They no longer deal with Kaplan because they can never contact them and they too probably got tired of the lies and the rip offs. They are holding my transcripts hostage and I really need them to continue my education somewhere else. I've reported them to the better business bureau, but I have another place over their heads where I'm going next! If anyone can give me some info, please let me know. And I hope whoever is fighting them, I pray you succeed, because people like them have to be stopped. That's why our great country that is no longer great is in ruins as we speak because of greedy incompetents like those people who call themselves a place for higher learning!!!

• Ta
      14th of Nov, 2009
    Kaplan University - Staff
    Cedar Rapids
    Iowa

I went to Kaplan planning completeing the MA program & thinking it was a great school with very nice staff..Shew I was wrong...I went in there on 11.13.09 and was cornered and insulted by the Admissions director, and a few others that I cant really remember what they were. They talked to me like I was being questioned by police. I felt so disrespected. This honestly is the worst school anyone could ever go to.

8th of Dec, 2009
    Kaplan University - Depoist refund
    angela smith
    Florida

I made a depoist for school and changed mind because i did not want 2 student loans hang over my head. I found another school where I would not have to come out of my pocket. I explain this to the advisor and he waited 2 weeks to withdraw me for classes now i am unable to receive my depoist back corporation will not approve my money to return to me. It has been 30 days since I was withdrawn from school

• Ap
      8th of Dec, 2009

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE UNIVERSITIES! They have found their way into my checking account three times simplying by stating I would like information on continuing education. They pull your account info off the loan application and begin charging small miscellaneous fees.

• Fu
      23rd of Dec, 2009

KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN KU KLUX KAPLAN

• Je
      16th of Jan, 2010

hey lets get together and fight this!

kaplanuniversityrippedmeoff.webs.com

Kaplan university ripped me off SPREAD IT!

Many people don't know they can do something about this!

• Tu
      25th of Mar, 2010

Hi,
    I feel the same way as you do. Please contact me. It is not too late to do something about this. If you are interested in handling this matter legally please contact me at Tuckersmommy2008@yahoo.com or call me personally so I can give you all the information needed! 3373239098 (Any time is great)

Jessica

7th of May, 2010
    Kaplan University - Ignorant service
    Kaplan University

I have been requesting for about a 1/2 year for a statement of all bills and the amount that has been paid. They ignore me like I don't even exist.

20th of May, 2010

I went to kaplan in cincinnati ohio, they were very unprofessional at the time was a medical assistant student. Some of the students I saw cheating on their exams. The so call electrical tech students or whatever they wanted to call themselves would stand in the hall ways cussing, being sexually harrassing half the times not in uniforms. The turn over was so much never knew what staff member would be there the next day. The only students that looked and acted professional was the criminal justice students. They would smoke weed in the parking lot, instructors smoking in right in front of the door it was a mess! Finally left for another school Daymar which was 20 times better.

• Pa
      6th of Jul, 2010

Kaplan University has taken thousands of dollars from me and now I am in depth with private loan companies, Gov loans, and charges that they are trying to charge me and they don’t seem to know what that dollar amount is. When I ask about why I owe them so much or were did that particular charge come from, they don’t know. Any time I call the financial aide department at Kaplan University and someone actually answers, I inevitably “will” get transferred about 4 or 5 times and every person I am transfer to don’t know either. I have spent at time 5 or six hours on the phone in a single day trying to resolve my financial issues, and to my frustration nothing will ever get resolved. I have collections personnel from Kaplan University calling my house all hours of the day everyday since I have graduated in May of 2010. I've tried so many times to find out my financial situation now and in the past, and instead of help I’ve gotten the run-a-round. I have never in my 51 years of life ever seen such a situation. I can say with honesty that Kaplan University is one of the biggest frauds/scammers in the United States of America. I don't know what to do, but I am sure of this, Kaplan University is scamming me, and it is apparent that Kaplan University is also scamming other people too. Patricia Tausworthe
    Jordan@tausworthe.com

• Pa
      27th of Jul, 2010

My name is Patricia Tausworthe and I will talk to lawyer and find out what we can do at this point.
    I will have more in-depth complaints of my own experiences soon. While trusting Kaplan to help me fulfill my dream of earning a Bachelors degree I ended up being used, deceived and scammed by Kaplan University. I am truly embarrassed to tell anyone that I got a degree at Kaplan University.
    I hope someone can help us! Let us all stand together and we will be strong.

Kaplan sent this to me today in my e-mail:

• To
      11th of Nov, 2010

My name is Tony C. Kaplan is a University in business for profit just like any other university. A prestigious University like Devry charges more than $353 per credit hour. Make sure that you receive names of financial aide advisers as well as financial statements. I have had some of the best Instructors that money can buy. These instructors are well qualified for their positions. This is an accredited university. If it were a scam, then they would not be recognized by the Department of Education. It is important to keep track of all financial aide information, thus making sure that everything is accurate with the Department of Education and the lender. Having said this, you will have minimal or no problems. You get a good education at kaplan only if you apply yourself.

• Ho
      16th of Nov, 2010
    Kaplan University - kaplan university
    kaplan

Beware Students----I was just informed that i have to start taking 3 classes at kaplan because i dont have enough hours in at kaplan and that I have to pay an extra $800. I am homeless and working in new york and am having a hard time in keeping up with the extra scams kaplan is putting on me.. It is worth finding a new and non corrupt university to attend

• To
      1st of Feb, 2011
    Kaplan University - Financial Fraud
    Davenport
    Iowa

I have paid off a balance with Kaplan and all of a sudden, I am being harassed for more money and threat of collection agencies. I have proof that Ihave a ZERO balance... however Kaplan is deaf and they cannot explain what the additional charges are for. How can I stop this corrupt university from ruining my credit.

• Tr
      13th of Apr, 2011

I just signed the petition "Tell Kaplan & The Washington Post: Stop Cashing In On Low-Income Students" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 50, 000 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

Thanks!

• Su
      10th of May, 2011
    Kaplan University - Financial aid dispersement
    Florida

Kaplan which has many, complaints listed already, has qustionable financial aid policies. Stipends are promised to be dispersed on a certain date and fail to be. They hold back stipends for weeks past the date that they list on the student's account. There needs to be some kind of class action put on them for their handling of student finances.

• Bi
      25th of Jan, 2012

I agree totally with you something needs to be done here because of the way Kaplan does I am taking my third term over again because they never dispersed my money the way it was set up on my lat term and now this term they told me as early as this morning it could be another ten days before I receive my strip-end this term so it could come down to failing another term because I am unable to meet my expenses because they hold the checks as long as they possibly can before disperses them its sad that a school can do this to so many people and get away with it

• Ia
      13th of Jan, 2013

I am a third year student at Kaplan and what you said about them forcing you to take on a third class is all bull. They don't make that decision, you do IF your grants and loans will cover the cost. Also if you choose to go with just one class versus two classes, there is the possibility that you could lose your student funding. They only ask that you attend full time if you have grants and loans, which is classes and it is your responsibility to keep an eye on all of your FAFSA information and any forms that you need to turn in. Their responsibility is to provide you with professors, books and classes and that is it. What you do with it from there is no one's fault but your own. Like I said, I am currently in my 9th term at Kaplan and have NEVER had a problem, because I make sure I am informed and take care of all my own priorities in a timely and efficient manner.