Kansas City Power & Light / auto

Olathe, KS, United States Review updated:

I was on autodraft with KCPL. This month I had some unexpected expenses come up so I called in before the draft date to see about holding it until Friday when I got paid (2 days). When customer service answered I was informed they send the payment drafts to the bank 3 days prior to the draft date and there was nothing they could do. They wouldn't even go to billing to ask if it could be held. They wouldn't connect me to the billing department either. They just said, "There is nothing I can do." The Customer Service Supervisor even went as far as to say, "I don't know why you don't get it." What I didn't get is why I was being strong-armed and why a couple of days is like asking for the moon. I do not believe there is absolutely nothing they an do. Autopay is sold to the consumer as a convenience but in reality it is just a way for KCPL to have direct access to your bank account and remove the consumer from the picture. If I were paying my bill with them manually I would have had the convenience of paying the bill a couple days after the due date to accomodate my budget if needed. When I signed up for autopay I didn't realize I was going to be pushed out of the way so they could just dip into my account regardless of what I, the consumer, have going on. I was under the impression I still had some control. I guess that isn't the case. Now I get to pay the bill and the extra charges from the bank.

Jh

Comments

• Do
      26th of Apr, 2012

I THINK IT IS A SCAM I RECIEVE THE SAME LETTER AND SENT IT OFF THEN LOOKED UP THE ADDRESS AND THIS POPPED UP WHAT A RIPOFF

• Tr
      31st of Jul, 2013

When you give any company access to your bank account by automatic withdrawal you have given over control of your money. They can make a mistake and wipe out your entire account. Then it's up to you to fight for your money back. NEVER give control of your money to anyone. Pay your bills yourself online. Don't trust anyone. Learn that lesson and you will not be taken advantage of or screwed over by any company.
    Second, automatic payments cannot be stopped quickly. You should not be upset with KCPL. Be upset with yourself for having unreasonable expectations. That is why you pay your own bills and never allow any company access to your accounts. Got it? It takes around thirty days to make a change to automatic payments. Weeks at the least. Now you know this. You agreed to let payments be taken out yet you get angry when a company can't rearrange the world at the last minute to suit you.
    I don't work for KCPL. I'm just a responsible adult who is tired of having other "adults" blame their problems and poor decisions on others. You are responsible for you. The world does not revolve around you or your "unexpected expenses". Get an emergency fund together so "unexpected expenses" will not become a life altering event.