JC Whitney / false advertising/shipping issues

1 VT, United States

I purchased a pair of Pyramid subwoofer speakers directly from the JC Whitney website on Feruary 10th, 2009. At the time of the purchase the availability of that particular item was "in stock, ships within 24 hrs.". I eagerly awaited my order. I was rather disappointed to discover backorder notice emails in April and another in May. By this time 60 days had passed and my original order was automatically cancelled from the JC Whitney system however, I was never officially notified. Luckily, I was made aware of the actual status of my order when I called to complain to a customer service representative. She apologized and then proceeded to assist me in re-ordering the speakers after telling me that the reason for the backorder was that the manufacturer was waiting for a specific component required to complete construction. She also said that she spoke directly to someone at Pyramid who assured her that the component was definitely coming in shortly and that the product would be shipped out within the week. Another week passed and I received a new backorder notice. I called Pyramid myself and discovered that that particular speaker was indeed in stock and could be shipped out to any supplier that needed orders filled, including JC Whitney. I called customer service again and was then told that Pyramid would only ship the speakers to JC Whitney once a certain quota was filled. I asked if that was a good way of doing business and got no satisfactory response from the representative. I also inquired as to why I could currently go online to the JC Whitney website and pull up the item to discover that its availability is supposedly still "in stock, ships within 24 hrs."??? Again, I got no satisfactory response. I contacted Pyramid again and was told that JC Whitney could do a "drop order" to fill my order but apparently someone in their operation is clueless. Nonetheless, I cancelled my order with JC Whitney and found another website that sold the speakers for a comparable price. I expect them any day now.