International Magazine Co / False Information/Lack of Information

MAMelrose, MA, United States Review updated:
I originally signed up for a magazine subscription offered to me by International Magazine Co. over the phone. One of the only questions I asked was "Can I cancel at any time?". The response to my question was vague; along the lines of "We don't encourage our subscribers to cancel." About a week after signing up for the subscriptions, I was informed that I was going to be studying abroad, so I called to cancel, to little avail.
The woman who took my call, was snide and condescending to my situation; "Didn't you initially know you were going to be leaving the country for 6-8 months?!". In the end, after much frustration, and having her inform me that I was obligated to pay for the 7 year subscription (an obnoxious sum of close to $800), I agreed to pay the "lowest cancellation fee" available (approx $180) for magazines I may never get because their system appears fraudulent. This happened almost 8 weeks ago and I have yet to receive any magazines promised to me for the year. To say the least, I will never accept any over-the-phone offers ever again and am disappointed in the dishonesty and obscurity presented by International Magazine Company.
Le

Comments

Ex
  26th of Dec, 2008
I too was victimized by these folks just a few weeks ago, never got any magazines so I just called my bank after no one at the company answered when I tried to cancel my subscription. I changed my credit card and my bank is filing a dispute as to whether I need to pay for what I never got. They only got me for 53.16 so far. I hope they don't try anything else...they do not know who they are messing with...

National Magazine Logo National Magazine