Ikea Credit Card / ikea credit card is a drama!

I am new to IKEA credit card my 1st payment was due 1/4/07 and I made payment over the phone 1/3/2007. Not only they charge you $10.00 to make the payment BUT I get a phone call 1/18/07 from Ikea saying I have a past due balance!!! So I go online to view my account and they charged me $29.00 late fee.

So I called customer service and they say they never got the payment!!! I respond to them I made the payment over the phone on 1/3 and they say oh yeah but we couldn't withdraw the money and they make it clear that it was NOT because there were no funds but maybe because they got the information WRONG!!! Which is not my fault!!!! The person couldn't even tell me why and wont waive the $29.00 LATE FEE!!!! and was SO RUDE!!!! I wouldn't recommend getting this card to anyone if you are going to go through this drama!!! So by the time you add all of their late fess and over the phone fees you will be paying twice as much for something that was supposed to be affordable when you could use all this money to probably buy more items from their store! BEWARE!

Va

Comments

• Da
      28th of Jan, 2007

Last year I signed up for an IKEA credit card with the understanding that I would receive 6 months free of interest and no payments with a minimum purchase of $500.00. What was not explained by the sales representative or within the actual agreement distributed by the store was that the $500.00 purchase had to be performed with one transaction. For example, you cannot buy $250.00 one day and come back the next and spend $250.00 to make up the $500.00. The actual advertisement within the store reads as follows: "Hurry! No payments, no interest and no fees for 6 months* when you spend $500.00 or more (before taxes) on your IKEA Credit Card. * see a coworker for details. In this case the sales representative failed to notify us this pertinent detail and as it was not mentioned anywhere within the contract, I am now on the hook for interest.

Caveat emptor........

• Pr
      26th of Sep, 2009

i have perfect credit, i bought a no payments no interest sofa, 1 yr later when i went to pay the balance in full ikea had added a $100 insurance bill to the balance, i battled w them threatened them w legal action and it was removed. next problem they would change the monthly payment due date each month, i missed it got slammed $39 each time, this month i pay off the card and CANCEL it. i was going to buy ome $4000 of furniture but now i'll go elsewhere... DO NOT GET A IKEA CHARGE, ITS BAD NEWS.
    they are simply not honest at their credit dept in INDIA or AFGHANISTAN

i really like IKEA but their credit dept is bad news, dont invite problems by accepting their credit card and get your credit rating ruined

• Bl
      26th of Oct, 2009

Wow...I should have realized the minute I bought something from IKEA that was inexpensive that I'd be paying for inexpensive or crappy customer service. I made my payment the day it was due, but it didn't post until the next day. Both representatives I spoke to yelled at me and told me I was wrong when I told them I have an email showing the date/time of payment. They cut the late fee in half...they were so generous...they met me "half way". Oh please. I can't wait until this is paid off, then I am closing this account.

• Af
      16th of Nov, 2009

In June of 2009, I opened an Ikea credit card account. I was told the terms would be 9 mos/ no interest if I spent $1000 or more. I spent $1200.

However...the credit card company said the terms were 3 months no interest. I did not catch that I was paying interest until the 5th payment. Because I did not pay off the account within three months, I was charged back interest to the original payment...at a high 21% interest rate.

The credit card company said to call Ikea, and that if Ikea could document that they had that deal, they would credit back the interest and honor that arrangement. When I called Ikea...no one had ever heard of that deal.

I am not stupid. I am working on a doctoral degree and was at Ikea with another high level person. We are credit conscious, and there is no way either of us would have agreed to 3 mos no interest because we could not pay off 1200 in 3 months.

I don't know what happened. It's hard to believe that we were lied to. Perhaps we were just "helped" by a clueless sales associate...but the result is that I was hit with high interest and now have to pay off the bill in full to prevent further interest from accruing, or settle for this crappy deal.

I would have to say Ikea was at fault here for not giving us correct information or knowing the true sales terms for their credit cards. I definitely feel ripped off and angry...Make sure you get whatever they tell you in writing. If I could have produced that written agreement I could have forced the credit company to honor the deal that I was sold.

• 22
      7th of Jan, 2010

Just a thought... maybe the people above should actually READ what they are signing BEFORE they get the IKEA credit card. That way, they would be better informed of the EXACT terms and conditions! The problems stated about could be easily resolved that way and/or by holding onto the documents they had signed and using them as proof. Also, it is not someone else's fault that you cannot make a payment on time. It is not the company's problem to change the date of your payment so that it more convenient for you. It is a BUSINESS. If you REALLY don't have the money... maybe you shouldn't be buying furniture. I came on here looking to see what people were saying about this credit card as I will soon be getting one. Some of the excuses are actually funny. You guys blame everyone else except your own mistakes that you made in not reading the fine print and/or being pro-active and asking specific questions about the terms and conditions of the contract. It's the same thing as when you are buying a house, opening a bank account, getting another credit card, etc.

Simple... Take some ownership/responsibility and use it as a learning experience of how to look out for yourselves better.

That's all.

• Vt
      26th of Jan, 2010

WOW!! I am so annoyed with the comment posted by 22384tb!! We signed up for the credit card September 14, 2009 with the promotion of 12 months no interest on purchases of $1000 or more. We did get the PROOF of this promotion and it said that it was good thru Sept 20, 2009 and it was NOT EASY TO RESOLVE!!! Each month we got our bill I called in saying they were charging interest and each month they said they would fix and credit the interest back! On the 3rd and 4th month I spoke to the supervisors and they assured us that they would have it fixed. But then we got a letter after the 4th call, from the promotions department, saying that they were not able to fix it! I called again...of course could not get the same supervisor even though she said she could be reach if we gave her ID, but that didn't help. I explained many, many times that I had IKEA's "buckslip" (which is what gives the financing terms) in my hand and that they would HAVE TO honor that but they just said that their promotions department said NO therefore nothing could be done. I called the Ikea store and spoke to 2 managers but the both said they had nothing to do with the credit card company, therefore they can' t make them follow their POSTED PROMOTION!! Finally, I had to contact the Better Business Bureau. Just yesterday we got a letter saying they will change our promotion to zero %, like it was supposed to be but we still have to fight to get our back interest credited!!
    So, having the proof stilllllll doesn't mean that you aren't going to have to fight like hell to make them honor their own promotion!!
    DO NOT GET THIS CREDIT CARD!!!

• Co
      22nd of Jun, 2010

which credit bureau does the ikea credit card check?

• Th
      18th of May, 2011

I went to IKEA to use my credit account only to be told after ringing up all my items that the Ikea credit card no longer existed! IKEA nor GE Money never sent out mail or email notifications. Then I looked at my account online to discover that not only did the lower my credit limit (which affects your credit score) but they had in big bold red letters that the card was no longer with no explanations as to why. GE Money is a terrible company and IKEA behaved very unprofessionally.

• Kg
      19th of Jun, 2011

I work for a company that also has a credit line through GE money and I completely understand the issues I'm reading. I started researching the IKEA credit card because I need to furnish a new townhouse in a small amount of time and thought it might be helpful for the bigger purchases, but I was skeptical when I saw GE money's name slapped on the website. I'm certainly glad I kept reading. I deal with the issues at my company day in and day out with GE money and it's good to know it's not just us. They are the KINGS of screwing people out of money and sadly, whatever company uses them just continues to make themselves look bad because they leave the associates to deal with the customers who are upset that their promotions are not being honored.
    I probably wouldn't have added to the complaints and angry rants if it hadn't been for the sympathy I feel for IKEA in these situations. GE Money gives NO power to the companies that utilize their services. NONE. It's ridiculous. There is literally nothing that IKEA could do for their customers except make payments, adjust payments, and make a quick call to GE Money during an issue, only to be told "no" to whatever question they were asking.
    I just had to put my 2 cents in. Blame GE Money. They're the sharks in this situation.

• Ik
      20th of Sep, 2011

LOL you people are ###ed. If you're unsure how a credit card works, do not sign-up for one.

• 12
      26th of Feb, 2013

First off, I've never had any problems when the credit card was available.
    Second, Ikea does not provide the credit, it is a bank... in most cases it was GE Money.
    Third, credit card payments that are being paid via electronic check, usually take about 3 business days to clear... So even if you pay the night before, it will still take 3 days to clear.
    I always pay my credit cards, 2 weeks before the due date. Never had a problem.
    Learn to read the terms and agreements, it says a lot in that tiny print...
    I hope the credit card comes back... hopefully not through GE Money...