IKEA / buyer, beware

My husband and I purchased several items from Ikea and one of them was a bed. We then paid to have it delivered to our home.

When we went to assemble to bed we discovered the mid beam had not been delivered and without this beam the bed was not usable. I called the store we made the purchase at and explained the situation hoping we could just come and pick up the missing part.

The customer service rep that I spoke to informed me that we would have to purchase the part again even though we had the receipt proving that we had paid for it already !! When I asked to speak to a manager I was informed there was no one available and if I wanted to leave my name and number I would be called back but it would be at least a 48 hour wait and the manager would only tell me what the customer service person had already said.

My husband drove down to the store (a forty minute drive) and even then he was still refused the part unless he paid for it again!

I work in retail myself and understand the importance of quality customer service and I can safely say my experience with Ikea is definitely the worst I have ever had !!

I will not be doing any further business with Ikea and I would like to warn everyone else out there, if you do choose to shop at Ikea BUYER BEWARE !!

Va

Comments

• Ka
      25th of Jul, 2008

I have a similar experience. I bought 2 beds from the Covina CA. An employee retrieved the beds from the self serve area for me as I only have use of one of my hands. He "forgot" the midbeams. I drove them to my home in Missouri. When I assembled the beds they are both worthless without that one part. I called customer service and was promptly made to feel stupid for not picking up those parts. Then I was told I had to buy the items and pay for handling but not shipping. The website clearly states this midbeam is included in the price of the beds.

Ikea has the the "we have your money so you can kiss our ###" attitude. The jerk customer service person asked me if she could do anything else for me. She wouldn't give me money to drive 40 mile round trip to the hardware store to buy something to hold the mattress off the floor. Then she told me to have a fantastic day. Felt like a hard slap in the face. Not a nice feeling after I spent over a grand in their store.