Hughesnet / not 30 day free trial - rip off

1 Washington, MO, United States Review updated:

I can only echo the other complaints already stated and warn people to stay away from Hughesnet! Not only is it SLOW for highspeed (dial up is at times faster), but they completely disregard complaints and refused a refund.

Within 2 days of signing up, I realized this was NOT going to work. After calling tech support and being on the phone over an hour, I was finally walked through a series of steps on the computer to determine the "problem". There was a "red flag" on our usage, which we "discovered" and I was informed that we had gone over our limit of time. I was never aware there was a limit, since our cheap dialup had no limit! It is on their website, but unless you are a computer guru, it probably goes over most people's heads (and it's in the fine print). I was told we have about an hour of download time per day, and my sons gaming was out of the question as was Youtube and much time on Facebook. With 3 teenagers, that's ridiculous. I was told there is a free time that you can download all you want - between 3 - 5 A.M.! I was then told the high speed would return after 24 hours.

At the 30 day "satisfaction" time, I called to cancel the service. I was transferred to someone who talked me into trying an additional 30 days at a higher speed. I was told that all "free trial" offers would be extended to the 60 day period, including the $472. I was charged for installation and activation. I was also told that would not cause me to have a cancellation fee. I asked for clarification on the refund 3 times, and was always told that it would be credited back if I should choose to cancel before the 60 day time period. KNowing I would probably still have to cancel, but not having a better alternative yet, I accepted the deal and documented it with numbers and dates, etc.

After finding a much better, and faster highspeed service locally - with NO cancellation fees ever and only $200. up front cost (yhti - if you live in the St. Louis area), I called to cancel Hughesnet before the now 60 day trial expired. I was told that I couldn't cancel without an early termination fee, even after explaining the last conversation to them. I was also told I would not be refunded the $472., but could receive $200. if I returned the equipment. AFter an hour on the phone explaining the earlier conversation, I was told that it was there policy to not refund the installation fee, and they were sorry for any "misunderstanding". I told them I would be filing a report with the Better Business Bureau (which I have done) and calling my credit card company to dispute the charges. I also told them I will be telling everyone I know to avoid Hughesnet, which is why I am posting this as well!

2 days later, I noticed my credit card was charge for $300. from Hughesnet! When I called to check on it, they had charged me the early termination fee afterall. After explaining AGAIN the situation, and providing the reference numbers, the did refund that amount - or said that they will.

Bottom line: Avoid Hughesnet! Look into local options, and if those aren't available, you are better off with dial up!

2 days later,

Bk

Comments

• Bu
      6th of Sep, 2009

Here is information regarding a Class Action Lawsuit against HughesNet:

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

5th of Oct, 2016

I will be contacting. This has been a NIGHTMARE thus far!!! Hushnet needs to be held accountable to the public