Hughesnet / terrible service

1 5485 windy lnJohnson Valley, United States Review updated:
Phone: 760-917-5671

Hughesnet---Don't Do It! I've been a customer of this satellite internet provider for five years. Like you probably, I have no other internet access choices other than dial up. Rather than restate what the good people have taken the time to say here let me just add that every complaint is 100% valid and true. Congratulate yourself on taking the time to do some research before making the same mistake we did. I would just like to add some specific examples of what you will not be able to do on the internet using Hughesnet. Take your time. There are better satellite services out there and Howard Hughes would have nothing to do with this company today.

First, the Fair Access Policy is nothing more than a scam to get more money from you. It has nothing to do with making sure the light downloader has the same amount of access as the heavy downloader. There is no shortage. Obviously if there was you would not be able to increase your download threshold by simply paying more money per month. It bleeds the people who rely on the internet to make a living, as a single source for entertainment or as a main source for communication... no exemptions for emergency use included.

Second, even when limits have not been exceeded Hughesnet speed is marginal at best and of course it's always your fault. The results of my "speed test" say my download speed is somewhere between 700 and 750 kb/sec. In reality I've never topped 120 kb/sec and that number spirals downward each second. If it's not your fault it's the weather or something else beyond their control. They try to convince you that a signal strength of 65 out of a possible 100 is good reception. But how does all this relate to the user? All versions of Windows have crucial service packs provided at a later date by Microsoft. But, for example, you can't download SP2 for Windows XP without exceeding the Fair Access Policy's (or FAP) threshold and then discovering it's going to take 50+ hours or so to download the rest at a speed less than half that of dialup! All satellite providers use an FAP but Hughes' is by far the most restrictive.

You want to download movies from Netflix or anywhere? You can't do it. You want to buy and download a game for your computer or Xbox? You can't do it. You want to play a game online against others on the internet? Forget it. The latency is even worse that of dial up. To be concise, with Hughesnet you miss out on half of what the internet offers.

As a teaser they give you the hours between 12 and 3 a.m. eastern time as "recess" when you can gorge on downloading without penalty. But still, the slow service does not allow you to finish downloading in 3 hours and the final 1/4 of the program will come at a speed that will take days to complete. One more thing, streaming videos will also put you over the threshold. You must limit your You Tube browsing to just one or two at a time. You also will not be able to catch up on any of your favorite TV show episodes now offered on the net for free. Even at full speed they start/stop at a rate that will have you tearing your fingernails out one by one. Hit 'em where it hurts. Don't subscribe to terrible service with non-understandable support and drop them if you did.

This is what I get for a "premium" subscription costing $80 per month.

Stephen Johnson
Johnson Valley, Ca.
Praying for cable or DSL soon.

Comments

• Be
      10th of Jul, 2008

I have had to reboot my computer recently, I called hughes net to get a service tech out to my house to reinstall the hughesnet service page. They still have not come and i have had NO one contact me to let me know how to do it myself. I live in a rural area with no trees around my house and my computer is slower now than when I had dial up in the city. I am very disappointed in Hughesnet. I also found out if I want to cancel my contract with them it will cost me $700.00. Is there anything else I can do?

• Ry
      30th of Aug, 2008

I have to agree. HughesNet blows. I currently have it and am getting rid of it soon. Sure is a waste of $70 a month for limited use and Slow speeds. Toobad, its the only thing I can get out here. No other highspeed cable internet services reach out by where I live.

• Pl
      24th of Nov, 2008

I have been a Hughesnet customer for a little over 2 weeks and i wish i had never heard of them ! First, when the installer (a guy in a mazda minivan with no signs or id ) shows up and after a brief site evaluation tells me i need a metal pole to mount the dish on, even though i have a existing pole already in the ground from a previous dish. I asked him why and his response was simply "i'm not allowed to use that one, and you will have to pay me $125.oo to install it." I then explained to him that no one at Screwsnet explained that to me or even mentioned any extra charge as i was supposed to be getting 'free' installation. After about 3 hours when the service was activated and i was $125.00 lighter i logged on and had a web page not found message. I called the customer support line and could not understand the tech at all, got frustrated and eventually figured it out on my own. Ever since the day i had this service installed it has been locking up, tons of pop ups through 2 pop up blockers, can't check my work email at all, a 'buffer overrun' error message everytime us it and anti virus and spyware offers galore. I have called customer service and gotten nowhere, they laugh and act like i am an idoit. one of them asked me if i knew where the F8 key was on the keyboard !!! Another so called tech pulled the 'safemode' trick' and mysteriously my connection got better, and this fair access policy that they don't tell you about until it happens, SUCKS !!!. I only browse and check email as a rule and maybe spend 1 hour a day on my PC at home, so how could i be downloading 200MB of data ! Overall i give this company and 'F ' and if i had another option i would take it. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THESE CONS !!! THEY NEED TO CHANGE THE NAME TO SCREWSNET !

3rd of Dec, 2008

I have to give my most steadfast agreement that Hughesnet does indeed suck. I began service when they were Direcway, and it wasn't bad. Then gradually it got slower and slower, then I went to check the site to see if my signal was faded. That's when I discovered the FAP. If anyone says it doesn't suck, they are probably Hughesnet damage-control agents. The only constant is that their service sucks, and if I had an option faster than dial-up (rural subscriber), I would drop these ###s like a steaming turd.

• Pa
      6th of Jan, 2009

Well said! I am in the same sinking boat, living in the boonies with no other option. Being an online instructor and graphic designer, I get very stressed out at not being able to complete my work despite paying a premium monthly like you. I saw someone suggested filing a complaint with ftc.gov and I intend to do just that. Perhaps if everyone did the same thing we might see some progress. It is unlikely we will ever get cable where we live. We do intend to move in the future and cable will be top of my list when looking for a new home. Its a disrgace and they should be held accountable. (Side note: almost 3 hours and still waiting for a product upload of 9 mb in size to complete and its only 44% there).

• Ri
      14th of Jan, 2009

I've had this 'service' for several years. Living way down a dirt road, my only other option is dial up.
    When it was direcway I didn't have any problems. When Hughes took over the service got slower, sporadic, and the ridiculous Fair Access Policy plays havoc with my time on the computer.
    I do not download movies or even music. The most I do is update programs and play a few youtube videos now and then.
    So, I get punished for using the internet too much.. punishment is even slower service. You wait around 24-36 hrs. for them to let you out of the corner.
    When you call it is hell. Neither of us can understand what the other is saying.. and bottom line, they just tell me that I am downloading hundreds of MB during the middle of the night. I turn off and UNPLUG my computer and my modem every night.
    It is a rip off and we who live in the country are being held hostage by these money mongers. 64.99 a month for a lousy connection. I cannot wait til the next innovation comes along and shoots hughes out of the sky!

24th of Mar, 2009

Well the repairman just left here from trying to 'fix' my Hughesnet satellite system AGAIN. According to them there is nothing wrong with my equipment. I was also just on the phone with customer support asking about the terrible upload and download speeds I have been having. The speeds I am getting right now at this moment are LESS than HALF of what was advertised/promised when I began this nightmare over a year ago. The customer service technician tried to make an analogy comparing the horrible speeds to many cars traveling down a busy road; meaning when there's a lot of traffic it is congested and the speed is slow. My response to that was well if it is that congested why don't you build a BIGGER ROAD? Since i got up this morning at 6 a.m. (when the speed was good but unfortunately I was busy getting the kids off to school) I have watched the speed drop in half by 8 am and drop by HALF AGAIN by 10 a.m. According to their 'parameters' this is acceptable. What a load of crap. Something that doesn't work as it was advertised is of no use to me, especially something costing this much!

I might add this is not the only trouble I have had with them; 2 days after the original installation my modem went out and i had service only about half the time. They sent me a new modem but it was the wrong model and would not work with the dish I have. Then they got mad at me when I asked for a call tag to return the equipment. They actually expected me to return the modem at my cost. Ugh. Many phone calls later I finally got a repairman to come out. Not only did the modem need replacing, but the radio arm too.

Once the system was 'fixed' that time I then tried to recoup some of the money I had been shoveling their way, since i had sporadic or no service for about 6 months while they had me foolishly undoing cables and looking outside to see how the weather was, NOT WANTING to send a repairman although I had asked them to do so repeatedly in that 6 month period. Well, they didn't want to give us ANY credit on the bill, because I had stopped calling them every day. Go figure. I finally got a supervisor and asked her why in the world would I want to continue to call when they obviously weren't going to DO anything? I finally got one month free service for 6 months of B.S.

So now we are on the speed issue. If I quit my day job, and stay up all night in the middle of the night I guess it would be O.K. to use the computer then, but gee, I can't do that. The speeds are fine in the (late) night time and right when I get up to go to work, at 5 am. After that it all goes down the tubes. I can actually get a better connection speed on DIAL-Up!!

The last call to customer service really got me steamed. I can get a better speed they tell me (now) if I upgrade my plan for another 10 or 20 dollars a month, and go to the 'pro' or 'business' service plan. I think they have already gotten enough of my money, and I am not going to upgrade.

On a side note, they are launching a new satellite, and the speeds are supposed to be wonderful as it won't be bouncing your signal back and forth twice before it gets to it's destination. Too bad this privelige is going to be for NEW customers and not for the ones who are already pulling their hair out.

If you live in the boondocks like I do, for goodness sakes don't get a HughesNet system, go with another provider or you will be sorry.

• Dc
      8th of Jul, 2009
    Hughesnet - no service, liars
    hughesnet
    Waller

it does not work

they will not help

they overcharge and stop service as they wish
    their rebagte is a lie
    and i am not allowed to send emails

why is this company still allowed to lie and cheat the people of america.
    gthey change their name and continue to cheat and rob us.

somone help me break this contract.

they lied to me of the type of service i would have.

do not under any circumstances get hughes net.

• As
      3rd of Aug, 2009

Hughesnet publishes (see FAQ 03-Connection speeds) that a Pro Plan subscribeer will geet up to 1.0 Mbps, with typical speeds of about 650-750 Kbps during peak times. They are right about the speed of 650-750, but its all day long! Peak hours are 24 hrs to them, not just a cuple of hours when everyone is checking email or whatever. I have been fighting with them for seven months to no avail. I can't even get them to cancel my service without a fight and a penalty. This company ought to be investigated for unfair and deceptive advertising practices, breach of contract, and ailing to meet their obligations to the public for satellite services. They ought to lose thier license to operate. Perhaps a class action law suit is appropriate. If one starts, count me in!

• Bu
      6th of Sep, 2009

Here is information regarding a Class Action Lawsuit against HughesNet:

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

• Th
      19th of Oct, 2009

HAD HUGHES NET FOR 2 PAINFUL YEARS (CONTRACT).
    GOT MAYBE ONE YEARS WORTH OF SERVICE OUT OF THE TWO WE PAID FOR. VERY SLOW SPEED SERVICE IF WE HAD SERVICE SOMETIMES WE HAD NO SEVICE FOR A WEEK AT A TIME.
    TRIED CALLING THEM OR I SHOULD SAY INDIA THATS WHERE ALL THE CALLS WENT.THAT NEVER WENT WELL. FINALLY WE WENT TO A LOCAL SERVICE CALLED SKY BEAM THEY ARE WONDERFUL!
    BUT NOW WE GET A COLLECTION LETTER FROM A COLLECTION AGENCY FOR A $ 20.32 BILL WE NEVER SAW, AND THE COLLECTION AGENCY DOESNT KNOW WHAT ITS FOR EITHER, IN A RUDE MANOR I MIGHT ADD!
    NOW I REALIZE HOW PRINCIPLE CAN BE ATTACHED TO SUCH A SMALL DOLLAR AMOUNT. I WILL FIGHT THIS !

• Ve
      3rd of Nov, 2009

We live in a rural area where high speed internet is not available to us. We had HughesNet for less then a year when we were continually experiencing Satellite outage messages and very slow service - slower than dial-up. I spent alot of time on the phone with customer service reps who could barely be understood. After several conversations in which they had me continually resetting the modem, etc. they told me our equipment was out of date and needed to be upgraded. I asked them to upgrade the equipment and they told me that we owned the equipment and would have to purchase new equipment with a new 2 year agreement. We were not even a year into the first agreement. When I asked what it would cost to cancel the service, they told me $300.00. We have been paying $79.00 per month for service that at many times is slower than dial up. I have trouble sending any power point files, PDF files, JPEG files and Photos. Even if I try and send one at a time, we receive a message that the file is too large to send.

I would not recommend this service to anyone. Once our contract is up, we are definitely switching. This company needs to be held accountable for their failure to provide. If I performed in my job the way they performed, I would be guilty of negligence!