Hughesnet / fraudulent company

When we decided to move to the country, it took us nearly a month to find an Internet Service Provider who could help us. If you are outside the city limits, and surrounded by trees, you soon find that there are very few options other then satellite. We were assured by HughesNet that although there might be interruptions for weather, our speeds and downloads would be up to DSL capacity. After paying nearly $1, 000 to get hooked up (equipment and installation charges) we soon found out that there were some 'missing pieces' they left out of the sales pitch!!

The company uses Fair Access Policy act to limit the amount of download you can receive over a 24 hour period. We've never experienced the performance demonstrated in the commercials. Additionally, the service has gotten worse and worse until we have decided to just go get wireless cards.

I can't understand why the FCC or some other government agency doesn't come in and require that they tell the truth about their service. Sure, tell people 'if you live in a remote place - we are it!', but don't act like the speed will be the same as normal service.

Calling their Customer Service line gets you someone located in India at a call center. I feel badly for these people, as they probably have no idea what we are comparing our experiences to. They also have no power to issue credits or to fix anything. I've gotten through to someone in the U.S a couple of times, but only after waiting a week for a call back. It's amazing how they can get away with this!

If you are in the county and need service, go get a wireless card!

El

Comments

• Bu
      6th of Sep, 2009

Here is information regarding a Class Action Lawsuit against HughesNet:

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

• Ta
      4th of Oct, 2010

We've had Hughes for years (and Direct Way) and it's only getting worse. In May, we upgraded from a $59/mo plan to a $79/mo plan with new equipment and resetting the dish in a different location. (We are very, very rural here.) The installer convinces us that with new wireless router we'd have better connection on the laptops. So, we paid him $125 for a Net Gear router.
    We get time outs, can't connects, all the time. I have called Hughes several times; you have to go through all their hoops to get anywhere with them. (and yeah, like my guy's name was really "Eugene"--HA!) Anyway, after pulling out wires and relocating wires, he tells me it's the router, I have to call Net Gear. Well---guess what, there is NO serial number on this $125 router we bought, Net Gear won't even talk to me with no serial number. Back to Hughes, and all the hoops, AGAIN. Again, they insist it's the router and we have to go to Net Gear. I explained the issue to them, tough luck lady. I explained that we bought it from THEIR installer when he installed the dish. There was no packaging material left behind, the installer took it. There were no installation discs for the router, no manuals, nothing. I have no clue of what to do now. The installer will not get back to me via phone or email. I agree with Elmer "can't understand why the FCC or some other government agency doesn't come in and require that they tell the truth about their service. Sure, tell people 'if you live in a remote place - we are it!', but don't act like the speed will be the same as normal service." Land line phone companies and utility companies don't require service contracts. If the service is lousy, you should be able to cancel, whether it be internet, phone or whatever!