Hughes Net Satellite Internet / fap ripoff!

1 VT, United States Review updated:

We live in a rural part of the state that provides no other internet connectivity, and have been stuck with DirecWay's being swallowed by Hughes.net. Without appropriate notification, Hughes.net enabled what they call a Fair Access Policy, but there is nothing fair about it.

They SEVERELY limit downloads, and then LOCK your account to a useless trickle for TWENTY FOUR HOURS any time the restriction is exceeded -- and they count every bit of download data over a 24 hour period. So, when I needed to download a software update that was close to 300mb, not only could I not do it, but I could not do ANYTHING for the next 24 hours.

This restriction is waived between 3am and 6am - that is the ONLY time. How many legitimate users are downloading software updates or itunes music at 3am?

Calls to Tech Support are an exercise in frustration - I have NEVER spoken to a native English language speaker.

AS SOON AS a viable connectivity alternative is available in our location (I am not holding my breath, ) I can't wait to call Hughes.Net and request they remove their ugly dish from our roof.

Comments

• Ca
      29th of Apr, 2008
    Hughes Satellite Internet - Lost total access to emails

Hughes has sunk to a new low in service. They were upgrading the email this weekend. It turned into a downgrade. We still cannot send or receive emails form our Outlook accounts or from their horrible webmail account. It's now 3 days after we were to have new and improved service.
    With their technical support so bad why did they attempt anything remotely technical in nature.
    After failed attempts to fix a problem, their tech support guy told me to go to Google and see if I could find the answer myself.
    The problem was as simple as a pop up blocker interfering with accessing the Hughes satelite. A Linksys rep helped me with that bit of info even though it was a Hughes issue.

• Tr
      5th of Oct, 2008

Especially when you are paying over 70.00 a month I think it is wrong, and cheating the consumer as well. I just got hughesnet I was with aol and I do web design and alot of uploads and downloads, and wasn't aware of this FAP as they call it.

Fair Access Policy, and if I was aware of it, I would have never signed up and paid 181.00 plus another 133.87 to have the pole installed. Yes, its a bunch of unfair practices, when you are paying triple the amount for theirs when you can get the same service at aol, or netzero.

316.00 for tabbed access...really wrong and cheating ways to rip the consumer...now I cant do no work until 24 hours, boy is my husband going to be mad.

22nd of Nov, 2008

My Phone requires regular updates through iTunes. Hughes pretty much suspends my service before even one update is complete. After that, not only am I unable to finish my update, I cannot even send an email to complain; I am pretty much locked out for the next 24 hours. I certainly cannot get anywhere talking to someone in India, either.

The sales pitch was that, being the only user on my computer, I would never reach the threshhold. This a blatant lie. I would NEVER recommend Hughes to anyone. If there is any possible way to get out of this contract I will do it.

• Ya
      29th of Nov, 2008

This is a big scam ... because the first thing that I asked to ( hughes net representative ) was that if it is unlimited high speed internet ...and he said ...YES! But the next day in less than 30 minutes I had no internet... or 99% more slower than dial-up! I tried to return it ...because I pay $420 for the dish and modem and $125 for the installation ...so the total was $545 for something that does NOT WORK!! and I have to pay $59.99 each month!!! ... AND HUGHES NET SAID THAT THEY WILL NOT RETURN MY MONEY !!! THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE!!! and I will take this legally and try to sue you !!! because when you buy a home you have AT LEAST 3 days to cancel the business and get your money back!!!
    not only your lies about unlimeted high speed internet, ... also the right of the customer to return something that DOES'NT WORK!!!

• Th
      5th of Dec, 2008

I don't necessarily say Hughes is a scam. I have had satellite internet for well over 5 years and since Hughes took it over the service and quality is much reduced. I am considering changing to Wild Blue. Even though there are problems with Wild Blue as well from the feed back I ahve had from neighbors who have it as well as a couple who have changed from Hughs to Wild Blue it is a step up.

Right now my transmitter is going out on the dish and it will have to be replaced. The cost exceeds the change over so it makes sense for me now to change.

What my main compliant is Hughes FAP. Until recently I had only once or twice went into the FAP prior to Hughes taking over. I believe they lowered the threshold. I do know now when I wish to down load some packets and software the files are larger though. But in the past when I exceeded FAP at least I could continue using the internet. Now however I am essentualy out of service for 24 hours.

This is my prime interest for going to Wild blue. The FAP on Wild Blue is based on a 30 day average and from looking at my usage I will never get to their FAP limits. I average 200-250 MB down each day, yes I am an high end users. But this means about 2 to 3 t imes a mount I exceed Hughes FAP and I cannot afford to be out for a full day.

The only thing I can see from my research into the differences with Wild BLue and Hughes is the FAP issue, both have problems, each are about the same cost, each is my only alternative but the FAP issue tilts in Wild Blues favor.

• Ko
      16th of Feb, 2009

I dumped them and got an aircard from Sprint that is as fast as DSL for $59 a month!

• Gh
      10th of Oct, 2009

The aircards have limited usage too, and have their own connectivity problems and overage problems...buyer beware!!

• Mr
      24th of Aug, 2010

you folks got off easy when i had hughes net installed it was 7hundred dollars for the equipment and 175 dollars for the installation. I was forced to recently upgrade and within 1 year the system died a rep came out and repaired the dish wich then died 3 days later. I called em bk and the rep refused to even come out unless i upgraded again. So i was looking at another 125 service call 49.99 upgrade fee and an aditional 9.95 to my bill each month. So needless to say i am now waiting for dsl to become available or another sattelite company to take hughes place no i will not recomend hughes to anyone even if i dislike the person i wont lol