HP Recovery Disk / I feel like I have been ripped off!
I had a complete hard drive failure on a three year old HP model Pavilion 7905 and needed to replace it. Unfortunately, I cannot find my set of Recovery disks, so I called HP to get a copy. HP informed me that they no longer support my PC (I never received an end of support notice), copies are not available and that I needed to purchase (excuse me, purchase again!) the Windows XP Home edition (retail) version.
When I called Microsoft they informed me that they couldn't help either since this was an OEM copy of their software and even if they sent me a cd they would have to supply a new key. They asked if I
have contacted HP to purchased the replacement drive from them since the OEM key applies to the installed drive only. WOW! I must be really naive, stupid or both. How many consumers know this? HP never informed me that I was purchasing an OEM version and that the license applies to the hard drive. So much for customer satisfaction.
I feel like I have been ripped off. I paid for the Windows XP Home Edition software, I have the official sticker on my computer with my activation key but I am being told it isn't worth a dime. I will never buy, ever, another HP product. As a matter of fact, I recently ran out of ink in my HP Printer and I went out and purchased a new printer (non HP) rather then buying another cartridge from that company. BTW, I took great pleasure in smashing the HP printer to pieces :). I can't help but think there is something illegal here.
Fortunately, there are folks out there that saw a money making opportunity and supply these cds for a price. I am, however, researching them to verify they are not connected to Microsoft or
HP. If they are, I will get a lawyer!!!!
More HP Recovery Disk Complaints & Reviews
- Hp Pavilion Slimline - motherboard failures on new computers 
- Hp Pavilion Dv2000 - laptop problems 
- Hp Officejet Pro K550 - printer is hopeless! 
- Hp Dv6000 - privacy violation and poor product! 
- HP Customer Service - extremely disappointed with hp customer service! 
- Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company - officejet pro 6968
- Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company - warranty repair & customer service
- Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company - tech support, cheaply built product, ripping me off, worst customer service ever
- Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company - hp service 
- Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company - product out of specification