HP Recovery Disk / I feel like I have been ripped off!

I had a complete hard drive failure on a three year old HP model Pavilion 7905 and needed to replace it. Unfortunately, I cannot find my set of Recovery disks, so I called HP to get a copy. HP informed me that they no longer support my PC (I never received an end of support notice), copies are not available and that I needed to purchase (excuse me, purchase again!) the Windows XP Home edition (retail) version.

When I called Microsoft they informed me that they couldn't help either since this was an OEM copy of their software and even if they sent me a cd they would have to supply a new key. They asked if I
have contacted HP to purchased the replacement drive from them since the OEM key applies to the installed drive only. WOW! I must be really naive, stupid or both. How many consumers know this? HP never informed me that I was purchasing an OEM version and that the license applies to the hard drive. So much for customer satisfaction.

I feel like I have been ripped off. I paid for the Windows XP Home Edition software, I have the official sticker on my computer with my activation key but I am being told it isn't worth a dime. I will never buy, ever, another HP product. As a matter of fact, I recently ran out of ink in my HP Printer and I went out and purchased a new printer (non HP) rather then buying another cartridge from that company. BTW, I took great pleasure in smashing the HP printer to pieces :). I can't help but think there is something illegal here.

Fortunately, there are folks out there that saw a money making opportunity and supply these cds for a price. I am, however, researching them to verify they are not connected to Microsoft or
HP. If they are, I will get a lawyer!!!!

Comments

• Ri
      16th of Apr, 2007

I had the same problem with the hp 7905. It must be endemic on that series. No wonder they don't support it anymore.

• Mi
      28th of Jun, 2007

I have an absolute carbon copy of this problem. On my presario 6400 model. HP complaint reference IDs 2212601823, 2212972274 are here for reference.

I have developed a feeling that these big banner companies are just fleecing the consumers. Their site in India does not even have a link to order these recovery cds.

I also got the same response from Microsoft when I asked them about procuring these cds from them - following is the last mail I received from them...

Hello Milind,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Online Technical Support.
    My name is Muneer and I will be assisting you with this service request.
    For your reference, the Case ID of this service request is SRZ070502000720.

First of all let me apologize for the delay in responding to your request.

Milind, from your issue description I understand that Help Center (Help Software of XP) seems to be incomplete. You cannot see the topic which helps you to manage the startup items.

Can you please give me more details about the issue so that I would get a better picture about the issue?

Regarding providing the CD for Windows XP, I am sorry to say that as you have got Windows XP software from HP we would not be able to provide you the same.

The reason being that the version of Windows XP that you are using is an OEM which is not a complete version as compared to the one that you get from Microsoft.

Also please provide me with a convenient time frame so that I can arrange a call back and look into the issue that you are facing.

I will try my best to help you out to make headway towards a resolution.

Please update me at your earliest convenience.
    I am happy to be of assistance and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for using Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS).

Sincerely,

Muneer
    v-5mrazz@mssupport.microsoft.com
    Support Engineer
    Microsoft Product Support Services
    Support hours
    Monday through Friday
    9:00am - 6:00pm IST
    Microsoft Support Telephone Number: 1-800-111-100.

In the event that you are unable to contact me, please contact my bin buddy Navneet Kumar at v-5nak@mssupport.microsoft.com or my Tech Lead Somnath Deb at v-5sdeb@mssupport.microsoft.com OR call the Next Available Support Engineer at the above number.

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, I would be glad to hear from you.
    If you would feel more comfortable contacting with someone else regarding my service, Ranjith, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.
    You may reach my manager by sending an email to v-5rchak@mssupport.microsoft.com

Should you require additional support with other Microsoft Retail Products, please go to: for current support options.

I have also vouched not to buy any HP Product henceforth. I swear.