Hotwire.comtravel insurance

We feel we were misled when we purchased travel insurance through Hotwire's 'Access America'. Make sure you read the fine print! Even though our airline canceled our flight, and Hotwire verified it by making contact with the airline, they wouldn't offer a refund of the $600 hotel reservation we booked through Hotwire. The reason for the flight cancellation didn't fit their ridiculously stringent criteria, so we were out of luck.
The front page of the 21 page document specifies coverage for trip cancellation 'before you get started' . . . but the only way one is covered is if the airline has monetary problems . . . when you read the exclusions it is clear that the insurance really doesn't cover anything at all!
WE WILL NEVER USE HOTWIRE.COM AGAIN! And we will certainly advise all friends and acquaintances to avoid them as well.

Comments

May 09, 2011

My lesson was not as costly as yours, but angered me just the same. I purchased Hotwire's flight insurance for the sole purpose of being able to change my flight. Because I didn't read the fine print, I thought the insurance covered ANY changes in the flight. I was wrong. I wanted to change my flight and depart two days sooner. I thought the insurance would cover the cost. It does NOT. The change would cost me an additional $150, plus the difference in the cost of the flight. The insurance company told me I could file a claim for the additional charge, but didn't tell me until I asked them that routine changes are not covered so my claim would be denied anyway.