Hotels.comrefund for cancelled booking

Booking Reference: [protected] and [protected]
1. I had done the hotel booking for our Budapest visit through Hotels.Com, for Continental Hotel Budapest. As per Booking [protected] (attached separately as Book1), I had booked for 4 nights and 3 rooms from April 27, 2018 to May 1, 2018., with the total payment of $2, 275.32. Since, 2 of our members, Mr & Mrs Satish Sheth, were reaching Budapest on April 26, 2018, I had done separate Booking [protected] (attached separately as Book2-Original) for 1 night and 1 room for Mr & Mrs Satish Sheth, with the total payment of $223.27. However, by oversight, the dates used for the booking were May 26, 2018 to May 27, 2018 instead of April 26, 2018 to April 27, 2018.
2. When I realized the date mismatch, contacted your Customer Representative on April 22, 2018 at [protected]. She checked the availability of the room for April 26, 2018 and offered a room at the same Hotel for $176.23, vide a revised Booking [protected] (attached separately as Book2-Revised). I requested credit for $223.27 for the earlier booking, as it was only change of dates and not the cancellation of the booking. She informed that Hotels.com has no objection for the refund but has to get the approval from Continental Hotel Budapest. After keeping me on hold, she informed that Continental Hotel Budapest refused the refund. Thus, I was additionally charged $176.23.
3. During our stay at Continental Hotel Budapest, we contacted Hotel Manager and asked about this booking. Upon arrival at the hotel in Budapest, their front desk manager, Mr. Ga'bor Horve'th advised us that he does not have problem issuing the refund if, in fact, their hotel assessed charges for the room. But he could not find any charges at all. This means that not the Continental Hotel but your company - Hotels.com has charged us although you have not made any payment to Continental. He further referred the case to his chief concierge- Mr. Attila Dorszki to follow-up the next day.
4. Mr. Dorszki confirmed that they have no problem issuing the refund, especially since they can never charge twice to their client for the same room on the same day. He called Hotels.com in front of us; but once again, Hotels.com could not verify any payment made to the Continental Hotel.
5. If there was no payment made to Continental, how can Hotels.com claim that they can not issue refund because they are not getting approval from Continental. Mr. Dorszki also felt that this is unfair on part of Hotels.com to refuse the refund.
6. Though, the Customer Service at Hotels.com was contacted vide e-mail, we failed to receive any reply!

Vi