HomeServe / Paid additional on the spot charge

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

We called out Homeserve to mend a burst pipe - to an outside tap so not covered by our Homeserve Insurance. My husband was charged £103.50. Having repaired the pipe, the plumber tried to turn the stopcock on but it was broken. In order to repair the stop ### the plumber asked that I ring Homeserve to pay an additional charge. It tiurned out this was another £103.50. As I wanted the stopcock repair I authorised payment from my credit card thinking it would be cheaper than having to call out the plumber once again. My husband complained that since the plumber was already there this charge should have been less. The complaint was made on 2 Marxch 2012. I was rung yesterday on 2 May asking if this case could be closed. Having checked with my husband, I said we would like a partial refund as the additional work was actually part of the same job, as the outside tap would not have turned on if the stopcock didn't work. HomeServe claimed it was a completely separate job, refused to give a refund, said they were happy the dispute had been resolved and said they would send a letter. I said that from our point of view the dispute had not been resolved. I am not sure where to go from here.

Comments

• En
      17th of May, 2013

"Hello Marie",

Could You let Me know what was done to Repair the Stopcock - was it just replaced ?

Perhaps the Incoming Mains Water turned Off in the Road by the Plumber with a Water Key and then the Stopcock just replaced with a new one - Mains Water turned back On - ?

I am asking this because the answer would enable Me to work out whether the Charge was reasonable.

Chris