HomeServe / boiler service

31 Ellenbrook Lane Hatfield, England, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

A man came to service the boiler on Friday, on the Monday morning we complained to HomeServe that it would not ignite and had no hot water.
Putting us through to the service dept we were told that 24 hours had elapsed and to make a fresh claim.
The trick they had up their sleeve was to charge £50 excess.
We are now at the mercy of this bad company over £153 worse off for a boiler that was working fine.
Their second trick was to put a fault on during service - the igniter was misaligned, also it keeps reseting and switching off.
Don't touch this company they are crooks.

Mi

Comments

• Mr
      Aug 15, 2012

I have two bad experiences of Homeserve - the only times I have ever had contact with them. First, they came to service my boiler under the maintenance contract I had with them. The engineer said the water in the system was dirty and I needed a powerflush. The boiler was replaced three years ago and of course the system fluid was replaced then. Unless I was prepared to have a powerflush - £800, my contract would be cancelled he told me. I immediately cancelled the direct debit to Homeserve and took out alternative cover with the AA. They have serviced the boiler since and made no mention of contaminated water.
    No 2 - in the flat above my mother's there was a bathroom leak - water coming through into my mother's bathroom below. The woman above had a specific insurance policy with Homeserve for water leaks in flats. I called them for her and they said a plumber would attend that afternoon between i and 6pm. He did not show up until two days later. He then removed bathroom cabinet covers and discovered three water leaks (so he said). He fixed two of them and then said he would have to phone his office as the insurance policy only covered "two claims". He would not fix the third until an extra payment had been made. The policyholder told him to go and called her daughter's plumber who came and fixed the leak without a problem. Homeserve clearly have a policy of "upselling" any routine service or claim, which is scandalous.