H&M / h&m accused me of creating a fake receipt

1 Hicksville, NY, United States Review updated:

I purchased items at the H&M in Elizabeth, NJ and wanted to return the items at Broadway Mall in Hicksville, NY (closer to where I live). I approached the register and the manager took my receipt and looked at it for a minute. She proceeded to scratch the receipt and went over to the cabinet to check a file. She then came back and said the receipt does not look the same as theirs and I have to go back to NJ to return the items! I was shocked! I said that I bought these items and it's a real receipt and I've never heard that before. She insinuated that I created a fake receipt! I said what do I need to do to get my money back - she said call customer service which I did. The customer service person heard my story and asked me for information on my receipt. She then tells me that at this time I cannot return the items to the store and I have to go to NJ. I was upset and annoyed and the customer service person said let me see what I can do and I'll call you back. She calls back and tells me that she spoke to her supervisor and that I am able to return the items to the store. I asked her why I couldn't do that originally and she couldn't give me a straight answer. I go back to the store, and the manager isn't even there! She makes her salesperson process the return which worked fine! I was insulted that the manager didn't even try to scan the barcode and thought it was fake. I feel discriminated against and am going to pursue legal action against the manager and H&M. DO NOT BUY H&M products - especially if you are a minority!

Sh
Jun 16, 2015

Comments

• Re
      16th of Jun, 2015

Are you aware that when you play the race card, it takes credibility away from your complaint? Also being you got to return your items why on earth would you pursue legal action or are you one of those "sue" happy people? Just because stores are in the same chain doesn't mean that all items have the same barcode, just like all stores don't have all the same products. When you travel you are better off making sure you don't buy things that you aren't positive you need or will use.