Hillary's Blinds / what's happened to good service?

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I placed an order for shutters with Hillary's on 17th April. I was informed by the rep that they would be 6-8 weeks. After 16 weeks of not hearing anything I contacted the Customer Care line (26th July) to be told that they had "they have just arrived in the country today". When I asked what had taken so long the adviser who I must add was very nice (Sherry-Anne) said that she didn't know.

I asked why had I not been contacted about the delay and she said that she had no idea as they wasn't anything on the screen. The adviser also informed me that me order had been changed by the manufacturer as it wasn't practical (I had ordered what the sales rep had suggested). I then left two messages on the sales reps phone, one on his land-line and one on his mobile, this was on the 26th July. I also sent an e-mail to shutters team via the e-mail address given on the order form. As I hadn't received a reply by yesterday the 31st July I rang customer service again and spoke to the same adviser (who again was very good). I explain that the shutters were now 10 weeks over due and I was seriously concerned about the lack of contact from Hillary's and she informed me that she would leave a message on the sales reps phone. Sherry-Anne came back to me to inform me that his answer machine was on, so the sales rep "may be away on holiday" (a little surprised that the organization doesn't know when staff are on holiday) I then asked for an e-mail address to register a complaint. The adviser kindly gave me a different e-mail address which I sent an e-mail to. My e-mail was deleted today without being read. Tomorrow I will take this further. What's happened to good service?

Ki

Comments

• Ro
      10th of Jul, 2008

This is an almost identical experience to mine; is there anything more we can do to make them more accountable? There service is simply unnacceptable.

• Rh
      28th of Aug, 2008

I too have had terrible service from Hillarys blinds. I ordered 5 blinds 8 weeks ago and after much chasing on my behalf arranged to have them fitted 3 weeks ago.
    The sales rep (aka fitter) turned up in his driving instructors car and spent 3 hours on a Friday afternoon fitting 2 blinds (2 of the 5 were 'misplaced' and the other was completely the wrong size).
    On inspecting the blinds after he left we discovered that one was manufactured incorrectly (mechanism not cabled correctly).
    The fitter tried to resolve the fault on the blinds by cutting the string / cable on site but to no avail and advised he would fit the remaining blinds within a week or so. This was 3 weeks ago and have not heard anything.
    Eventually I got tired of waiting and rang them and told them we would not be paying and for them to collect their product from our home. I was told the advisor would ring me within the hour (I rang the next day to chase this up AGAIN) and he showed up unannounced. He did not utter a word to me, simply removed the blinds and exited leaving the front door wide open - not a word of apology even though I was more than courteous in our dealings with him throughout this affair.

My opinion is - if you want blinds professionally manufactured and fitted, go to a specialist company, not franchised part-timers!

• Fr
      18th of Oct, 2008

Hillarys are an awful company. After having some verticals fitted incorrectly and finally giving up I contacted another local company called Bob The Blindman which incidently is run by a bloke called Bob. He sent a fitter called Alan out the next day, who sorted the problem out in 20 minutes and charged me nothing. I ordered more blinds there and then with the fitter. They arrived in 10 days were fitted perfectly and the blinds were cheaper too!.
    If you want good blinds try www.bobtheblindman.co.uk they are brilliant

• Rc
      23rd of Oct, 2008

Hilarys blinds fitted me a conservatory roof blind. Not only was the blind fitted shoddily by the so called advisor/fitter, it was by their own admission measured wrongly and fitted in the wrong order .
    Trying to get Hilarys to rectify the problems was a complete and utter waste of time and energy.
    Customer services not retuning calls, adisors not turning up for appointments with no notification time after time, having waited in up to 4 hours on more than one occasion.
    The final straw came after requesting to speak to area manager, and guess what, yeh you got it, true to form, no response.
    Anybody looking for blinds would be well advised to use your local blind shop and give this shower a miss.
    Once they've got your money you'r ...ered

• Da
      7th of Jan, 2009

Totally agree with the comments here.

We placed and order and hilarys took a deposit of £80 on the 10th of Novemeber. Since then we've heard nothing and have no blinds.

Phone calls are unreturned. shabby and shoddy beyond belief. This company really smacks of being a spiv organisation. The total absence of any means of complaining on there web site speaks volumes.

No directors or customer service managers names are listed anywhere on the site.

6th of May, 2009

I am relieved to hear that I am not the only person who has had a bad experience.

I ordered 2 velux blinds last August. They have both been replaced twice and I am waiting for them to be replaced again. They either have the wrong tension or they just snap and the material just hangs.

I have experienced all that has been described above. I have had advisors not turning up or returning my call, head office saying they would call back and one advisor shouting at me in my own home saying it was my fault that the blinds kept breaking and that he refused to help me.

Regardless of the bad after care that I have received ( I ordered the blinds in August 2008 and it is now May 2009) there must be something basically wrong with this specific velux blind fitting.

The advisor I am dealing with now is has been very helpful but even he can see that there is no point fitting new blinds if they are just going to fall apart after a month.

This whole experience has been very frustrating, and I really don`t know how to proceed. At the very least I should be offered a refund so that I can get decent blind elsewhere.

• Bu
      12th of Aug, 2009

I too have just experienced the 'customer service experience' of Hilary's blinds.
    I order a roman blind for my lounge and one for my kitchen. I paid a deposit and sat back to wait the 2 weeks needed to make etc.
    On the day of the fitting...noone arrived! I rang Hilary's and explained I wasnt happy, they transfered me to the fitter. He apologised and arranged another date a week later. So I wait in another full day only to have a no show!
    I ring again! Lots of apologies but I want to cancel my order...turns out I can't! So I said I want some kind of discount for my inconveinance! I was given £13 off and told they weren't going to 'throw money at me'.
    Excuse me?! I am a customer and when I asked to speak to the advisor's manager he refused!
    Is it me but when you're paying nearly £300 and have been messed about shouldn't there be some sense of customer care. A sense of being a valued customer! I was made to feel money grabbing and the advisor's tone was so awful that after the phone call I was really upset.
    The advisor made me feel horrible and it was like talking to a brick wall. As yet no blinds!
    I would not recommend Hilary's blinds EVER and as yet my issue with them is not resolved.

• Ku
      19th of Aug, 2009

I have had much the same experiance. I refuse to give up and this letter is STEP 1 TO MY MASTER PLAN! THE CUSTOMER MUST BE TREATED RIGHT AND FAIRLY!

Hilarys Blinds

Essex
    SS15 6TH

To whom it may concern,

RE: Account number _______ Complaint

This is a letter of complaint. My compliant is not with the product itself, I am incredibly impressed with the quality of the blinds, my qualm is with the installation and your Hilary blind fitter. In summary, the blinds are currently not fitted to the length of the windows; they are uneven with one another and blinds which are lopsided.

Your Hilary blind adviser arrived on 7th August 2009 to provide us with a quote of our 5 bay window. He showed us an array of different blinds, measured up and inspected the bay. We agreed to the wooden Venetian and paid a £200 deposit from my debit card given his assurance that would be no problems with the installation. An appointment was made and the blinds were fitted on 17th August 2009. The fitter arrived at 9am. After he fitted the blinds, I paid the remaining £210.

Unfortunately, by inspection, both close and far, the blinds were not in line with one another, they were uneven with the windows and did not look like ‘custom fitted’ blinds. The fitter returned the next day (18th August 2009) and I expressed my concerns regarding the length of the blinds (they sit on the window sill with too many slats) and the fact that the blinds “look wonky”. He dismissed the issue regarding the fit of the blinds saying they should look like that and dismissed the fact the blinds were not level. I naively believed what your ‘experienced’ fitter deemed correct in terms of fit, but could not accept the latter. I reiterated that they were uneven, but he continued to disbelieve it. When I opened the blinds to reveal the horizontal (and level) window panes he finally agreed that they were not level and said “you won’t notice it in two weeks time”. This was an insensitive and unprofessional response, given that I am the one living day-in-day-out with this unacceptable installation. The fitter then continued to say it was due to my uneven ceiling that the blinds “look wonky”. This infuriated me. It was not brought to my attention during the quote nor during/before the installation that my ceiling is uneven. Your advisor inspected the bay for a lengthy period of time, measuring and inspecting, before giving his assurance that there would be no problem with installation. If I was told prior to the, I would have rectified the ceiling level before getting the blinds fitted. I now have paid £400 for 5 bay blinds which all out of line with one another and look unacceptable.
    On 18th August 2009 at approximately 5pm, I contacted your customer services on 0800 916 1094 and eventually spoke to a customer relations advisor, Sylvia . I explained the situation. I had checked images of Venetian blinds from Hilarys websites, brochures and leaflets (and compared with other reputable companies) and found that the length of the blinds are incorrect. During the conversation, I was told: it is not the fitters responsibility to ensure the ceiling is level; the length of the blinds are correct and it is upto the customer if additional slats would like to be removed (at an extra charge of £20 per blind); and finally, she would speak to her manager and the fitter and call me back.

Approximately 30 minutes later she called me back, whereby she said there is nothing the company can do. I could not get a refund with a return of the product; the length of the blinds are correct and if I wanted them ‘fitted’ then that would be at a charge; and finally repeated that it is not the responsibility of the fitter to check if the ceiling is level.
    During the conversation, I regularly posed the questions “What is the point of paying £400 for fitted blinds which are not fitted (I will have to pay extra for that!)? What is the point of paying for blinds which are not straight (because your experienced and trained fitter does not ensure that the surface at which the product is attached is appropriate)?” In response, I was told “it’s not our fault that the blinds don’t meet your expectations!”. This was outrageous! I simply expect “quality, value and outstanding service, all in the comfort of my own home” (sound familiar? ) and, of course, blinds that sit straight with one another.

To quote the Sales of Goods act 1979:-
    “Satisfactory quality is defined as what a ‘reasonable person’ would regard as acceptable, and takes into account factors such as price paid, fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability. If it becomes apparent that an item is not of the quality you were led to expect, you were not aware of any such defect when you bought it, and you bought from a seller acting ‘in the course of a business”, you are quite within your rights to go back to the retailer, even after some months of use.”

I hope to hear from you within the next 14 days regarding this matter with offers of reconciliation, whether it be in the form of rectifying, refunding (with a full return of your product), replacement or reduction.

Yours sincerely,

• Fa
      22nd of Sep, 2009

I had arranged 2 reps to call at my home for a price on conservatory blinds luckily for me and my wife the Thomas Sanderson rep came first.When I informed her that Hillary blinds were coming the following day all she did was ask me to Google complaints and Im glad I did.I ordered my blinds with Thomas Sanderson 21in all (11 top 11 for bottom)+2 for the French doors). They were fitted as promised 2 weeks after measuring and took approx 1hour 30 minutes.. a wonderful firm to deal with.

• Ne
      5th of Jan, 2010

I wish I searched for complaint before putting an order with Hilary's! They have no customer service! They get your money and run as fast and as far as they can! Could anyone please tell me how can I get my money back from them as they assured me I have the blinds but nothing have arrived at home so far and when I finally desided to cancel my order I was told I can't!

• Ti
      28th of Jun, 2010

Oh dear...if only I had read these comments before I went ahead and ordered. Nearly £2, 000 and some very robotic 'can't help you' people at 'Customer Service' later, I'm absolutely regretting this purchase. You can't cancel your order even though it's only company policy that you have 7 days to cancel. They are immoveable. I was told very patronisingly, that it's not as simple as calling the factory in China to modify or cancel orders. Obviously it's MUCH more complicated than that and I just a mere PhD wouldn't be able to understand this!

The message is clear as many have posted above - get a friendly local tradesman to do it for you.

• P1
      30th of Jun, 2010

I am a Hillarys advisor, unfortunately not all the "fitters" within the company are competant at doing there jobs, I have even had to sort some of them out myself... I strive on giving good service as this is how I generate most of my work (through recomendation) and it doesn't matter where in the country the problem has happened, it could affect me and my business. This is something I have no contol over. If anyone would like to ask me any questions or get some help please feel free to drop me an e-mail. Paul.Hillarysblinds@hotmail.com if you would like to talk via the telephone attach your contact number and ask me to call you. I am very busy and do find it hard to create time but i will do my best to give back the service you all want and need.

• Ro
      15th of Nov, 2010

Did anyone contact Paul as requested and did they sort out your problem? They are all very nice human beings and I am sure they are trying to help us. Except that they are totally inefficient or make excuses. 20 months is a long time to fit blinds; yet after more than dozen visits they are still at it. Now the conservatory is damaged and the conservatory company doesnt want to get involved. We regret the day we placed the order. Hillarys must be employing the rejects from other leading companies?

robertm1944

• Su
      14th of Feb, 2011

I purchased from hillarys roof blinds after 2 days they fell down could not use my conservatory, until the blinds were refitted.

not sure if any other customers have same problem the weights and the lugs that hold the white plastic chains have become brittle thus leaving the blinds not hangine correctly and unsightly.

11th of Apr, 2011

We ordered roof blinds for our conservatory in June 2009 - they were fitted in August 2009 and by Sep 2009 the strings were starting to sag. (O/N: CNE281 - Invoice: 95519726 - £3, 012.00). We complained by phone and eventually in October (after 5 phone calls) a technician arrived to retension the blinds. He said they would need further retensioning "later". In Jan this year (2010) I noticed that the strings were sagging again and that the connections of ythe blinds to the top of the conservatory walls was pulling the plastic covers away from the ring beam around the top of the conservatory.

We contacted Hillarys again and they eventually (after a further 5 phone calls and an agreement that we would pay the costs of the technician) sent a technician on 4-Mar-11. He said that the installation was very poor and that he would be back to fix it. Nothing materialised and after further calls to Hillarys we were informed that the technicioan had been terminated and that they would be in touch - since then - nothing.

Don't go anywhere near these people - their after sales service is terrible, their installation is shoddy and their customer care is non-exisitent.

• To
      22nd of May, 2011

I had a Hilarys fitter, he was most abnoxious & poked about asked personal questions & quite upset me, blinds are OK but if I had not been rushed by the fitter to choose I would have had others. The extra price he charged was exhorbitant & he eventually dropped the cost by £1000, it was still very expensve. They were fitted on the wrong top level & now hang too long. There should be a standard charge for fitting which I may add was described as free fitting! The fitter charges at will & fitting is over 10 times the cost of the blind.
    Try Tuiss on line & fit your self theres nothing to it!! The fitter is independant not Hilary's & my 2 neighbours felt as I do, the fitter made us uncomfortable & is not suited to coming into peoples homes.

• P1
      4th of Jul, 2011

Tell Hillarys... For one we DO NOT charge for fitting, the price we give is the price Hillarys give us. If you were charged seperately for fitting then you need to take that up with them, also if you would like a fair, non biased review site, Hillarys are now on feefo.com. What people don't realise is that other competitors also write on here. Go to feefo only our customers can comment.

• Pe
      31st of Oct, 2013

I have also had poor service from Hillary's Blinds. Also no call back from Complaints - Leane or Kim as yet. Bought expensive shutters still waiting for bits 2 years on and now they tell me i have to pay for the visit to fix them!!

• Pe
      31st of Oct, 2013

Disappointing company - I have similar problems

17th of Dec, 2013

My mum bought me a lovely pairs of curtains for Christmas from Hillary Blinds as I feel in love with the ones she had done in her front room. I really thought I would have the same services that she did and thought my curtains would like a lovely as my mums. I was wrong they were fitted on Saturday 14th December 2013 and look awful there are creased and have not been hung property at all she was in such a rush to get them done and they are not pulled right on the top and all so bought some man with her and parked on my drive and all so used my step ladder she just did not have a clue I have emailed and phone and just keep getting fob of they said manger would phone me today no one did I am very upset and so is my mum this was my Christmas present been ruled by Hillarys what can I do many thanks Amanda