Heritage Web Design / Ripped off!

United States Review updated:
3.6

I paid Heritage Web Design $700 last February to create a NEW site for my candle business. They are in the "top 1%" so I figured they must be good, right? NOT!!! Once they have your money, forget it. For $700 I got a copy of the site that I myself created with some pink background and a candle graphic. I sent them a box, yes mailed them information, including pamphlets, brochures, pictures, candles, soaps, etc., (approximately $50 worth of product) hoping it would help create the mood for my site. Well, the receptionist 'supposedly' stole the samples because my designer never received it. Since she never received the box she built a site that had a black background and flowers? I emailed my 'account manager' and he just switched designers. So, in MAY my site was finally up and running and I was SUPER disappointed. It was nothing like what I had explained to them. I felt powerless because from that point on they have been so rude to me. Anyway, I built my own site and have one more month with this company stealing my $30 to host a site I haven't used since last July. BEWARE! They will steal your hard earned money and treat you like crap.

Comments

25th of Jan, 2008
Heritage Web Solutions values all of its customers, especially those who have voiced complaints. It is in our best interest to work with these customers to reach a reasonable and fair resolution. In most cases Heritage tries to go beyond what is fair for the company and errors on the side of the upset customer.

Words cannot express how truly sorry we are for some customers who, no matter what we do, are never truly satisfied. This is especially disheartening, as Heritage has the solid reputation of providing excellent customer service.

Some customers, as illustrated on this complaint website, have resorted to airing their grievances on the public Internet, in hopes of resolving their particular complaint. We do all that we can to help meet a fair resolution to their satisfaction.

However what becomes unfair to us, are those customers who we feel have received everything they have asked for, and more, but then take it upon themselves to have an ongoing vindication against Heritage. To us, there is nothing more we can do to satisfy them. They are who they are. Vindictive and angry people do more harm to themselves than they think they are doing against a company. It is sad but true.

Heritage Web Solutions, with a customer base of over 10,000, receives less than one half of one percent in complaints. That is an impressively low number compared to the standards of today. We certainly would like to have zero complaints, but that is just not realistically possible. There will always be those people who cry foul, no matter what.

What you don’t see on this complaint website are all the positive emails and letters we receive daily from customers who are extremely happy with the service and work we have provided for them.

Heritage Web Solutions is a good, solid custom web design and hosting company that has an excellent rating with the Better Business Bureau and the Utah State Department of Commerce. We are ranked in the top 1% of web hosting companies in the United States and have recently been recognized by Inc 500.

If you feel that Heritage Web Solutions is not taking care of you, I would invite you to contact me at my personal email address at ceo@hwsinet.com, and I will personally follow up on your issue.

Warmest Regards,

Brad Stone
CEO/Heritage Web Solutions.
Ti
  30th of Jan, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Just wanted to update anyone reading this that Heritage Web released the content of my site which prompted me to leave the above warning. So, the problem has been resolved. I'm not going to add anything negative to my comment, but I, personally, would not use their service again.
Tina Kachmar
www.SmellaMiaBellaCandle.com
Co
  3rd of Jun, 2008
Well whatever your Heritage website was like, it can't have been worse than the thing you've now proudly done yourself.

What did you expect for $700 anyway? It's small change. You get what you pay for. Caveat emptor.

There's no point paying practically nothing and expecting the moon. Life just doesn't work like that.

Sounds more like a case of Difficult Customer than Substandard Web Design Company.
Ri

Provo
Utah
Phone: 1886 2110743
heritagewebdeign.com

I payed $440 for a website with Heritage Web Design. They agreed to do the work with flash animation, before the work could start i had to pay 50% upfront and sign an online agreement. As soon as i payed and agreed the company decided to change the pricing for the work and increase the total desisng amount. I discussed witht hem that they couldnt do the work as agreed and couldnt f=provide the work in time so we both agreed to cancel and i was offered a full refund. I was very impressed by there manner and deiced that i would use them again the next the few months for a different project so they kept the 50% ($220) and froze my details..or so i thought. Within 2 weeks the called and emailed to tel lme they would bill my account a monthly amount of $20 for hosting. I called to enquire what they were hosting as the account didnt exist. After many calls and exchanges they acknowledged that it was wrong and no billing would occur. Within a week or so they took the 2nd 50% (another $220) unautherised from my account. They now held $440 of my funds. I called them to ask why and could i speak to someone in accounts to get the full 100% refunded to minimalise any future monetory mistakes on their part. For 4 days i spke to a memeber of staff who kept passing on messages to a superviser named Josh who refused to contact me. Eventually i got through to someon in Accounts who told me Jason was a supervisor who was on the same level and he could refund the moneys owed. Jason was contentious and refused to deal wtih the account issue only passing me back to Josh who i had already stated i was not happy dealing with. Prior to Jason handing me back he told me he was only going to refund me the 2nd unauthorised deduction from my account ($220). His reason was that i had agreed online to wortk being done. I discussed and reported to them that there had been absolutely no work undertaken by the company for them to keep my money.. No servies had been exchanged and they had already agreed to refund the initial money held. They refused to give me my moeny back. I requested a contact name or direct private email for the CEO of the company which they refused to give me. I threatened them with legal action, the response i got was an email asking me to go to BBB arbitration. I couldnt believe the hostility and unprofessional manner in which they had conducted themselves. They knew initially that i had planned to do several projects with them and as an act of good faith i had kept monees with them to return but there actions now would lose a customer and several projects. The two supervisors i spoke with told me they were the topline of management and the opnly person they answered to was the CEO.. I was stunned! To date i havent had any money returned. These two guys who say they are supervisors are hostile idiots who shouldnt be in a position of management or authority, they have no idea how strategy and busioness work and seem tot hink that good customer service is applying a 'mormon' like tone of voice with the customer. I strongly suggest caution in doing business with this company and would definately withhodl any funds until work is done and agreed.
  15th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I invite you to please communicate with me personally so we can resolve your concerns.

Warm Regards,

Brad Stone
  3rd of Sep, 2008
What is a 'mormon-like' tone?
To
  11th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Heritage Web design is a complete waste of money. All their work sucks!!! They mislead you every step of the way. If you want a low cost website solution I would reccomend godaddy.com.
Cl
  12th of Jan, 2009
I have the same exact complaint as the candle person. Heritage customer service once they have your money changes drastically. The designer of my website did not listed to one word I said. I constantly had to keep telling him what I wanted over and over and over again. I made him totally redo the website until I had something livable. I think people should really shop around and see what else is out there before hiring HWS. I paid close to a grand before everything was said and done. They'll give you one price and then say another 150 to do this another 50 to do that. And if you have a problem, there is a huge language barrier with many members they contract out for tech support, and I guarantee you they will almost never be able to answer your question.
Cl
  26th of Jan, 2009
After reading the ceo statement I decided to give him a try to personally solve my issue. It's now going on week 3 with no response to my complaint. I haven't heard from you yet Mr. Ceo. This company should be rated 4 on a scale of 1-10. I honestly don't see how they keep customers.
St
  8th of Feb, 2009
I'm very surprised at the CEO's well constructed response to the complaint. It was more of an excuse than taking responsibility. Not the type of character I am looking for in a company I do business with. Glad I saw that. Now I am moving on.
Fa
  26th of Feb, 2009

Heritage Web Design - web site
Heritage web design
Provo
Utah
heritagewebdesign.com

I was talking with a guy named Tom at heritage web designs and we had an agreement and I sent the deposit of 280.00 and after they received the money I got a link from them and I clicked on the link to get on the website, and I called the web designer ( Randy) to go over some stuff that I had no idea what it was so, I got to talking with randy about the design and he told me they were going to charge me an extra 300.00 to put my pics on the site, when I already had an agreement with the salesman that called me like 200 times in 1 week his name was tom. Anyway all I can say is that they are not sending my 280.00 deposit back. I called them like 10 times in 1 week and with no responce I finally called them and they comfirmed that I was not getting the money. Be careful and do not use this company they are a scam.
Sa
  16th of Mar, 2009
I agree with this complaint. I am in the same situation with Heritage Web Design. They are very quick at taking your money and no real service. I am currently extremely disappointed with their service that I am not even getting and yet they charge my credit card every month. I will make sure they are all over the Internet as SCAM ARTISTS. I will take on myself to write on every blog and scam sites so that they can be known. Paying a penny to then is just the first step to bad business. Please run as fast as you can if you see their logo or name in your search result. It's just BAD MOJO and bad luck. They are bunch of crooks and vultures just waiting to suck up your money. They have hidden cost all the way. Please be aware of that as well. I will rate them 1 on the scale of 10.
Ro
  20th of Mar, 2009
Prices are low so is the quality, there seems to be no creativity, you get what you pay for.
Qu
  20th of Mar, 2009
"SCAM ARTISTS, CROOKS AND ROBBERS!!!"

THESE GUYS TAKE THEIVERY TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL!!! SIGNED US WITH THEM WAS PROMISED THE MOON AND GOT THE PIT!!! PHONE REP LIED ABOUT WEB SITE DESIGN, DID A SERIOUS BAIT AND SWITCH, WEBSITE WENT FROM $199 TO OVER $700 IN 3 MINUTES. ASSIGNED ME A WEBSITE DESIGNER WHO MY 7 YEAR OLD COULD HAVE TAUGHT BETTER WEB DESIGN SKILLS. AFTER 6 WEEKS OF NOTHING WHEN I DEMANDED MY MONEY BACK, THEY SWEETLY INFORMED ME THAT THE INVOICE (THAT I NEVER RECEIVED) SOME WHERE IN THE FINE PRINT STATED THAT IF YOU CANCEL AN ORDER THEY AUTOMATICALLY POCKET 50% OF WHAT IT WOULD HAVE COST THEM IF THEY HAD DONE WHAT THEY ACTUALLY PROMISED... BY THE WAY, NOT TO MENTION THAT THEY'VE ALREAD CHARGED YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR THE DEPOSIT AND THE BALANCE WITHIN 5 DAYS FOR A JOB THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE 4 WEEKS TO COMPLETE. I COULD GO ON AND ON AND ON ... THIS COMPANY IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP I HAVE HAD THE DISPLEASURE TO COME ACROSS... "DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY" OR YOU WILL BE SORRY. GO TO A LEGITIMATE SITE WITH WITH REAL WEB SITE DESIGNERS AND NOT CON-ARTISTS... SORRY ABOUT THE SCREAMING! BUT IF YOU WENT THRU WHAT I WENT THRU THESE BUTT-HEADS YOU WOULD BE SCREAMING TOO!!!
  2nd of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Well I was considering doing some freelance work for their company. I sent them an email asking for clarification on their $20 a page payment for designers as that didn't seem right. A rep got back to me but said for me to call to explain their payscale. So I did a little search and find this treasure trove of hate mail.

Needless to say I don't think I'll be getting back with Jessica. I do encourage people who are new to websites and design in general to do your research. Typical costs for a website can be from $500 on up depending on the designer's skill level and competance. Anything less than 500$ would usually be done by someone fresh out of college or something with a similiar skill level. Which might not be bad, but remember you get what you pay for. Ad agency rates will typically be 3 times that, around 1500$ or more. That though usually comes with a whole new level of service and competance.

Remember, you will not get anything for worthwhile quality at $199. It is possible you will get a decent 1 to 2 page site, but that is pushing it. Personally, I would steer clear of Heritage Web Design as there is no way they can treat their people right at $20 bucks a page.

If anyone got burned by this company and is looking for some help getting things done right, check out my website brianm.cc and review some of my work. My rates are competitive and my work is quality. You can get my contact info on my site.
Ni
  2nd of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Heritage Web is an excellent company for small businesses. I have worked with them for over two years. You cannot possibly please everyone all the time in any vein of life. When a small business is paying $300 for a website, they cannot expect it to look like a $5, 000 website. Nor can they call in and say this is my business, make it look good. You must offer feedback to the designer, they are not familiar with your website, you are.

Every experience that I have had with Heritage has been excellent. I would reccomend them 100%.
An
  22nd of Apr, 2009
Many times, potential customers do not know what quality they will be receiving. That is why our company has decided to offer free draft designs.

Please visit www.avanixweb.com and fill out our simple form if you are interested. We have created many websites for small business and we start from $299.
Da
  1st of May, 2009
Heritage has built 2 websites for my company and they are in the process of creating 2 more for associates. The prices they charge are very low compared to everyone else. If you want, they will build a high end site for you or if you just want an informational site for your customers at a low price they will do that also. You get what you pay for.

As far as their web designers - I believe they sub the work out to freelance designers. To keep the prices low, they have to use subs. I'm a General contractor that uses sub contractors and I feel their pain.

I've had problems with my sites and they have always worked hard to rectify the problems. Feel free to walk a mile in their shoes before submitting a "ripoff" report.

After my sites went live - I recieved a flurry of phone calls from other designers to "fix" my sites -out of curiosity I asked what they would charge and most said that it would be about $1200 - $1500 to redo what Heritage did. I also asked what guarantees they could give me that their work would improve my business and the reponse is always "no guarantees - but they will really be better!"

So, Ease up on those boys in Utah - if they were perfect - they would change their name to "The United States of America Web Designs and Hosting" because we "know' our govenment is perfect.
Vi
  20th of May, 2009

Heritage Web Design - failure to deliver
Heritage Web Design aka Hit Web Design
Colorado

Run away!! please do not sign anything with them, read all the complaints, I wish I had seen all the comments before I signed with them. Heritage Web Solutions has been so bad and carries such a bad rep that the only solution was to change their name to Hit Web Design. the problems are still there, my site never made it off the ground, and they kept trying to get me to purchase more add ons to make it "better".
Don't waste your money go somewhere else..

CAN WE FIGURE OUT HOW TO FILE A LAWSUIT AS A GROUP?
Al
  20th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had the worst experience with this company. Person after person lying to me over and over. I decided to find a company that cares about my business and goal. I found Kerstin Fossen her website is www.kerstinfossen.com

Our website went seamless and she is just a peach to work with.
With the bad you also find the good.

Alexa Winchester