Hansons Windows / Terrible window/charged card w/o authorization

1 Albion, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 517.629.6035

On March 7, 2009, we invited (I know it is our own fault) a Hansons salesman in to give us a quote on a window. He was very polite, seemed knowledgeable and we choose the next to the top of the line window. We were very specific that we would authorize the $500 down that was required, but would not authorize any more until we were satisfied with the job.

On April 25, the installers were late getting here (were suppose to be here between 9-11 they showed up at 3:10 with a lot of prompting on our part). The screen had a hole in it, the screen corners did not even meet, the main window was bent, the locks didn't work, we watched them put the window in with over an inch opening left on the north side of the window (they just filled it with foam and covered it up), some of the foam was coming out around the trim in spots, it was pushing the trim out in others, the new window ledge was wobbly, and when the windows were closed, they would not close evenly. When they finished, we called the sales person - /name removed/ and told him we were not authorizing any payment until the window was done right and we wanted him to come and look at it. We continued to call and wait for return phone calls to get someone out here to fix it - On April 30, we received in the mail a receipt where they had charged out credit card the remaining $973. After many, many phone calls we finally got someone to come out on May 5, the installer came back and admitted they had done a poor job, and said he would not pay for a window like this - then he took the screens and said they would order us a new window and bring us back the screens the next Saturday. We of course have not seen our screens - but have finally found out that they are suppose to come with our new window on May 28. The worst thing is - we just keep asking for someone to come and look and tell us if they would want to pay for a job done like this. Sean one of the service managers was rude to say the least. JUST BE WARNED - BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO BUY FROM HANSON'S, COME AND LOOK AT OUR WINDOW AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

Comments

• Bi
      9th of Jun, 2009

hansons suckssss!!!

• Ha
      17th of Nov, 2009

most if not all companies would charge you for the job you signed a contract. Now 90% will not leave and return without a service charge if you were unhappy with the install you needed to let the company know not the sales rep. I can tell you this Hansons will make it right and there will be no service charge for the lifetime of the house. By the way on most remodeling contracts it states you pay the remainder upon completion so theres no doubt you were charged the remainder of what you owed only diff is Hansons will replace it and you will NEVER be charged find another company that will i dare you there isnt any.

• Pa
      18th of Nov, 2009

The reason we did not approve the remainder of the bill is because we told the installer and also call the customer service, and any supervisor that I could get to answer their phone of the issue. We took pictures and asked the supervisors to come look at the job that was done. Yes, you are right they are not suppose to ever charge you again - but that really is a mute point if you can't ever get them to come back and fix the problem!!!

They did come back and fix the loose window ledge. They did replace part of the window, but it still steams up every cool morning and the special coating that is suppose to help keep it from getting dirty faster - well I invite anyone to come and see for themselves. Through this whole thing, I have not asked anyone - not hansons, not family, not friends, not even this complaint board to take my word. Please come and see for yourself. I have never been able to get a supervisor to come here to look at the job. The installer himself admitted that the workmanship of the window was not good and that he would not accept this in his house.

So, please, until you are willing to come and look at the job that was done - don't pass judgement on my situation.

3rd of Dec, 2009

It's called condensation and I am quite sure that your windows are fine. If you feel they need to be serviced, contact the contractor and with their "Guarantee" IF there is ANYTHING wrong or defective with the product; it will be replaced. They have kept their word to me and several other of my coworkers that I have referred.

• Th
      11th of Dec, 2009

Hansons does a poor job and does not honor their "Lifetime Guarantee". I bought windows from them seven years ago. ($10, 000 worth) Immeditaly, I noticed that the windows were drafty. After several calls, a serviceman came out. He said that the latches were set incorrectly (whatever that means). Well, seven years later, they are still drafty and they are very cold to the touch. So, these can't be the "top of the line" windows I paid for. Over the years, I have placed several calls and although their messaging system says your call will be returned within 6 hours, I have heard nothing from Hansons. To keep the wind from coming through my windows, I have to put plastic on them! This makes no sense as I spent $10, 000 and have a "Lifetime Guarnatee"! My mother works for a law firm and is going to help me sue Hansons. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HANSONS! THEY LIE!

• Do
      23rd of Oct, 2010

I scheduled an estimate for windows with Hanson's before doing any research. Luckily I looked around online before they came. I called to cancel the appointment and was on the phone for 10 minutes trying to tell the lady I was not interested. I was even yelling at her and she wouldn't stop... "you're not going to get anything cheaper... we do the best work... you will get the tax credit..." Then, the guy still showed up! I was worried about this happening, so I made sure I was not home, but I drove by my house and he was there. There was a Hanson's business card jammed in my door when I got home. Ridiculous. They called me two days later asking why I wasn't there when the salesman came. I said, "I canceled the appointment. We no longer want new windows." She immediately went on about getting a free estimate at no cost and how "crazy" I was not to do it for the tax credit. What a joke. These guys are almost criminals.

A friend of mine had Hanson's at his house for new windows. The guy was there for 3 and a half hours. Then after my friend told him he wouldn't sign a contract right there because he was getting other quotes, the salesman actually told him, "You are a waste of my time. You are a liar and are pretty much stealing from me by not signing up with us right now."

There are other posts online about people threatening to call the police to get Hanson's people out of their homes. That is how they do business. Absolutely unacceptable. Never do business with Hanson's Windows or Roof or Siding or whatever.

The only way they are in business is because they throw so much money into ads and put fake posts out on forums.

• 18
      10th of Feb, 2011

Hansons Replacement Windows —

Make sure you have everything that you and your salesperson discussed written into your contract. ALL VERBAL AGREEMENTS ARE VOID! Make sure you turn your contract over and read ALL THE TERMS. There are no exit clauses. They do not price match their own deals. Good luck finding a company that meets the terms of their "price match" agreement. Read everything DO NOT TAKE A WORD OF WHAT THE SALESPERSON SAYS AS TRUTH. I was told i would get a call from my salesperson to help with a situation with one of their coupons coming out. I never got a call from him (They do not honor their own deals if you have already signed.) I yelled at one person about the lies i was told among other things, he hung up on me. (I would have hung up on me too) So then a manager calls me I told him "DO NOT MAKE THE WINDOWS YOU MEASURED FOR MY HOUSE UNTIL WE GET THIS SITUATION FIGURED OUT" The manager told me he would find out what was a better deal "the email i originally responded to or the new 60% off email" Never heard from him again. The next time i heard from them it was to set up a time to install "my" windows. I had already told them not to make them and that I had disputed the charges to my card because they breached the contract by soliciting another charge they had "forgot" to charge me. Luckily I had written into my contract that "customer will not pay any amount above contracted price" They solicited the cost of a permit so I went to my credit card company. Now they are coming after me (collection lawyer) for another $2, 600+ and I haven't heard from a manager or seen any windows or gotten any answers to my questions!!!

• Sh
      3rd of May, 2011

I was going to use Hanson windows, now I change my mind. Thank you for putting the comments out here!

• Un
      14th of May, 2012

We went with Hanson's for our new patio door and are very unhappy with the over all look, function and installation. We spoke with the manager and they will not refund us our money and said they will service the door but will not do any sort of refund or replacement of the door just because we aren't happy with the quality. In the past I have recommended Hanson's to several people because our previous door wall was excellent (they use a different manufacture now). This is no longer the case and I will be sure to tell anyone I know that is looking for a patio door to stay away from Hanson's!! Very unsatisfied customer!!! UGH!!!

• Un
      12th of Feb, 2016

We decided to go with Hansons for our home windows and we truly regret that decision. We were lucky enough to have a nice salesperson, but the installers were clearly not properly trained. Our windows leak all the time and our energy bills have hiked up 25% since the install. Everything has been properly documented.

• Va
      21st of May, 2018

I will never allow Hanson to install Windows, Doors anything ever for me again. I agree, with the unhappy Hanson's Customer the hired installer are of poor skilled. I had windows installed 1 1/2 ago and they don't close tight to lock down. I called the Customer Service at Hanson to inform them of the poor workmanship. I was directed to go online to request an order to have someone to come out to review. And, the Customer Representative told me they can't guarantee that they will do a good job. I told her but, you expect good pay. I will never recommend Hanson's Windows to anyone. Never again