Guardsman / Deined claim

1 Fort Wayne, IN, United States Review updated:

We purchased a leather sofa set in 2004. We also were sold a five year gold guardsman furniture protection plan for $380.00. This plan was to cover all accidental rips, tears and stains. After a large family Christmas party, I noticed a small area on our sofa that was stratched and starting to rip. I contacted the company and sent in all required paperwork. I was informed that our claim was denied because of wear & tear. Our sofa shows no other wear and this rip just appeared . I don't know how this happened but, I do know it is not a wear issue. The furniture company, Klopfensteins Home Rooms gave us the guardsman rep's number but, didn't help us either.So learn from my experience and don't waste your money on guardsman's protection plan. They will deny your claim and the furniture store that convinced you to purchase plan won't take any responsiblity either. So don't throw your money away on a protection plan that won't pay out and buy furniture from a store that won't take any responsiblity for the warranties that they sell you!

Comments

• He
      15th of Mar, 2009

i too purchased guardsman furniture protection for burns, tears, rips. i'm a smoker and i just knew i'd screw up or one day a friend or visitor would accidently drop a hot ash on the furniture. It happens, i knew i needed it.
    I myself ended up being the culpret. I had five small circle burn holes in my sectional or reclyner sofa. I dredded calling guardsman, so i waited. When i did go to call i read the policy. It clearly states all claims must be reported within three days of incident. So, i had to lie. When i made me claim a person who was leather repair tech did come out, he came as expected too. Nice guy, he looked at the furniture and said it was not repairable. suprised isnt the word, i love my sofa and hoped it was repairable. I think the guy just didnt feel like dealing with it so he put it back on guardsman. I had to wait for him to file his paperwork and then i was to expect a call. I was told to go to the original store to find a replacement. (the store had little to no furniture due to a fire next door smoking out their place, it took a yr before they restocked) my problem is with a LASTICK FURNITURE ON
    HIGH STREET
    POTTSTOWN, PA.

The owner was miserable and seemed agrivated with me not being able to find any couch or chair to replace my old ones with. If i dont like her tast and what was in her store, then i am not choosing someting until i do see something i like. Well the owner was so miserable and made me feel so uncomfortable that i just dropped it all together.
    Now, Guardsman did say that if i could not find anything at lastick then i was not allowed to shop elsewhere. THAT is one stipulation, you must choose replacements at the same store name. If you shop at a chain store you can go to any of those store which usually provides more variety. But the end result is i get something at lastick or i take the monitary in place. well five hundred dollars for a reclyner sofa with two end reclyners and a big man reclyner is definetly more than five hundred dollars. So i denied both and dropped it all together. if i take the money they take the furniture. it was to my advantage to keep it. But guardsman was more than fair with me.
    So, now you have heard both sides of the story.
    YOU DECIDE

• Jb
      6th of May, 2009

I will spare you the details and simply tell you (and as many others as possible )that Guardsman's contract has so many loop holes that it is almost impossible for you to get satisfaction. The only thing that didn't fall through their contract was my $300. for the Gold-in-home plan.

• Sc
      22nd of Jul, 2009

Dont buy this warranty! RIP OFF!! I was sold the guardsman plan by our sales person. I was told how great it is and how it covers everything and anything, I thought wow with a toddler its great to have because accidents happen. My toddler spilled milk, took off his diaper and had a pee accident and several other accidents on the sofa within a couple of months. They would come out and clean it and it would look brand new. One day he figured how to take the lid off his sippy cup and spilled grape juice all over my sofa. No biggie right the guy came out and cleaned it. Well a couple days later I noticed the stain resurface. I called them to tell guardsman it resurfaced. They told me that due to an "accumulation" of stains it wouldnt be covered. In the fine print it does say accidents from accumulation of stains not pertaining to a single incident wouldnt be covered. I kept telling the guardsman manager that it was from a single incident that the grape juice spillage had occured. That he didnt keep spilling grape juice over and over it was the first time he had a grape juice spill. The woman wanted to argue with me saying due to an accumulation of stains and the overall condition of your sofa (based on pictures she saw of the grape juice stain) the service tech. shouldnt have cleaned the stains to begin with?! My couch was spot free before the grape juice but she didnt want to listen to me. Each time the guy came out say 5 times in a 7 month period which is how old the sofa is it was always clean and no stains resurfaced after he cleaned the stains. This manager with guardsman wanted to debate with me "based on the appearance of your sofa and the accumulation of stains we will further be unable to clean your sofa?!!!" Regardless of new spills and stains she was telling me I pretty much used up my warranty. She said based on pictures she had that the tech. had taken before he cleaned my couch there were several stains. ( I told her yes that is true he took pictures of the stains he was there to clean what she was looking at was the current new stains) She wanted to argue that same line due to the accumulation of stains we can no further assist your claims. No matter how many times I told her she had no evidence of what my sofa looked like prior to this particular spill accident how could she comment on the overall condition of my sofa? They find anyway possible to try and deny your claims. Waste of money dont buy. Now I have to write a letter to the appeals comity to see if they will actually listen to my side. INSANELY HORRIBLE CUSTOMER CARE

• Rb
      13th of Nov, 2009

Guardsman aka Valspar is a scam. The do not cover anything!!! Three months after purchasing this "protection plan" we tried using it and found out they do not cover really anything, we tried to cancel it. We could not get a refund. It a a huge scam!!!

23rd of Dec, 2009

Totally agree that the Guardsman Furniture Protection Plan is worthless. They do everything possible to deny your claim. I have been denied every time.According to salesman at Ashley, everthing is covered. Save your money!

23rd of Dec, 2009

Totally agree that the Guardsman Protection Plan is worthless. They deny all claims. Save your money and do not purchase!

• St
      21st of Jul, 2010

Another disatisfied customer. What a waste of money.

• St
      21st of Jul, 2010

What a waste of money. These people deserve to be in court

25th of Apr, 2011

I've just had the same experience. There is a tear in a chair just purchased and it clearly states tears are covered. They denied the claim and said it was a manufacterers defect. Unbelievable.

11th of May, 2011

Same experience here .Guardsman is a scam. j brook must work for guardsman.but either way 1 happy cust. out of everybody still qualifies as a scam

• Ph
      13th of May, 2011

Same story they refuse to fix damage to leater after kids party, Bob's Furniture who I bought the guardsman Elite (goof proof) policy from said that Guardsman should replace the leather panels under the policy. They are abusive, stalling, unhelpful I sent them pictures three times of the damage which they say they never recieved, they refused to send someone to look at the damage, and denied my claim after some heated conversation with a female Guardsman supervisor. Reason not cut through or torn so it was not covered.. I look foward to a Class Action Law suit to stop this abuse. Phil Gerety claim #10666891

• Ro
      17th of May, 2011

You are all so right, they cover nothing, and the salesman at Bob's Furniture tells you it covers everything. Big scam, Guardsman denys every claim I have put in. I mean stains being denied, really, total rip off. How do we start a class action suit?

• Li
      9th of Aug, 2017

@RoxP I agree. Big scam

• Mo
      29th of Jun, 2011

This company is HORRIBLE. We placed a claim last year and the service person never showed. Being Military, we have moved several times in the past year and we made another claim only to be denied this time because the claim was outside the "ten day" notification policy. They will not repair the furniture! NEVER EVER will I purchase a plan from them again and if a furniture store tries to sell me one I may tell them to forget the purchase overall. Any store that uses Guardsman HAS to know how crappy their customer service is!

6th of Jul, 2011

GUARDSMAN SUCKS!

• Al
      29th of Aug, 2011

I agree they are a SCAM - Shame on these people cheating people. They are Theives

• Ca
      25th of Oct, 2011

When questioning the sales rep. at Goffena Furniture in Sidney, Oh about my concerns on purchasing nearly a $4000.00 sectional, she guaranteed me that The 5 yr Protection Plus Plan from Guardsman, any stains, tears, burns, ect.. would cover, repair, clean, even replace the item if necessary; I found out in the worst way that I was doomed. When Guardsman replaced a console, the console was merely a cheap made box with vey cheap material. Then when I had a stain which they came & cleaned, all these other spots begin appearing. On top of that when a service person came to inspect another stain, along with a small burn hole, I later received a call from Guardsman stating that they would offer me $700.00 & my warranty would no longer be in effect due to the fact that it was my fault & misuse of the product. REDICULOUS!! Or.., I had the option of Goffena Furntiure to replace a portion of the sectional & again, THE WARRANTY would No Longer be in effect. BE WARE of Shady Protection Plans as well as Shady Furniture Stores.. Caristine2010@gmail.com

6th of Dec, 2011

I also brought the 5 year plan. DON'T DO IT! My puppy peed on the cushion, so I call expecting them to send someone out to fix it. No, they sent me an email where I have to fill out paper work, and find my receipt where I purchased their plan. Should they not already have this information. So many loopholes. Someone was already suppose to come out and look at the furniture, but a week later and I am still waiting. Save the $400-500!

20th of Dec, 2011

Same here.
    I bought three pieces of furniture; a double recliner sofa, a double recliner love seat and a single recliner. They fixed one very small stain in the chair, but when we had a major rip in the love seat that needed repair, they dropped my service plan and sent me a check for the cost of the plan!
    They said that the store I bought it from had closed since I purchased the agreement, and that since the couch needed 'parts to repair it', they would be unable to obtain the parts. They will not carry ANY of the furniture that I bought under the plan now. I am not cashing that check! Bunch of junk! I am reporting this to the BBB in New York AND Indiana, and the FTC, and I am sending a letter to the Board, and the complaint dept. at Valspar. I am also contacting the manufacturer to find out if the parts can be obtained there, and then I am going to keep on until I get a better answer here!

• Li
      9th of Aug, 2017

@MaMa Bear145 Reporting them to the BBB in Florida as well

• Aj
      21st of Apr, 2012

I too called about a problem on my lazy boy recliner, and was given the 5 day rule, had I known that I would have lied. Big waste, called lazy boy and was told I could buy a new back for 399 only paid 599 for the chair lol.

• Dr
      2nd of Jun, 2012

I have the Guardsman plan and have had not problems. If you take the time to read the plan they cover exactly what they say they will. As long as you use the planas it is intended there are no problems.