Guardsman / Fraud and cheating

We are a retailer and stopped using their fabric protection program after hearing of the difficulties customers had in filing claims, too many hoops to jump through, unresponsive customer service, etc, etc.

Ed

Comments

• Al
      21st of Jul, 2009

Thank you for taking a stand. They are a rip off and use unethical tactics to trick you into saying something that they can then use to deny your claim. They called & spoke with my husband asking him to verify something on the form I'd filled out that he had never seen. Then used what he said to deny the claim. When I asked them to provide the transcript of the phone call that they were using to deny my claim, the supervisor replied that my attorney would have to request that through their legal dept.

• Mr
      7th of Aug, 2009

Shame on Sears Canada and Guardsman!!!

I started to wonder about the fraudulent nature of Guardsman, after running into a problem with our expensive leather furniture we bought in 2006 at Sears Canada store - (My Bill number 01110-246-1852) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

When I called for service we were requested to go online and print a request form complete it and send it by "mail only", no faxing, no email scanning etc. Very fishy at this day and age.

Of course on doing a follow up, our mailed request form was not received. Upon several subsequent phone follow-ups, and while waiting online the v-message gives a fax number to send service requests??...When a customer rep. finally answered, I asked if I can send the request again by fax and they said no, and denied that such information is being communicated on their standby message??, so we resent the information again, and upon follow-up, they said it has not been received...this has taken 7 months so far!! and I called Sears Customer Service at 1-800-664-1888 for the fourth time regarding what is their responsibility having sold us the furniture and the protection, and I was told on Aug. 7, 2009 by the customer service rep. - Malissa - that they will escalate it...and the waiting still goes on. I am not confident that we will get any satisfaction based on the evidence.

In summary, shame on Sears Canada first and far most for dealing with an unverified service provider - Guardsman and exposing their customers to such fraudulent service providers!!!

Mrs. FK., Scarborough Ontario

• Wi
      1st of Dec, 2009

To sum it up...

Guardsman improperly refuses to repair or replace furniture that is under a Guardsman warranty.

Guardsman sells furniture warranties to consumers primarily though third party dealers. These third party dealers are often times furniture stores and other retail outlets.

Consumers have complained that Guardsman, Inc.

marketed, sold, distributed and issued warranties that contain open-ended, illusory terms that effectively nullify the existence of any coverage at all, and even if coverage did exist, the terms effectively allow Guardsman to exclude coverage for warranty claims for any reason at all.

Guardsman routinely excludes coverage for warranty claims for reasons that are not specifically outlined in the terms of their furniture warranties. Guardsman unilaterally creates standard-form reasons to deny warranty claims. These standard-form reasons to deny warranty claims, include, but are not limited to, that the furniture damages to be repaired (or replaced, if repair is not feasible) “cannot be attributed to any single occurrence or accident, ” “were the result of normal wear from customer usage, ” and that “were not reported when they occurred, but when they were discovered” by the consumer.

As a result, Guardsman has engaged in deceptive, unfair and fraudulent practices causing damage to consumers throughout the United States who have purchased the “Furniture Protection Warranties”, submitted claims, and subsequently had them denied.

TAKE ACTION!

I applaud retailers for taking a stand and terminating their service contracts with Guardsman as well as the victims who have been robbed by Guardsman Furniture Care to disclose their experiences.

Shame on Valspar for financing and backing such an unethical / corrupt company and allow them to continue with their immoral business practices.

Asking for knowledgeable and experienced lawyers to arrange a class action lawsuit.

• Dj
      10th of Jan, 2010

I was also victim of their scam. We received a letter from Guardsman (after 3 months) stating not only will they not cover the damage fo our sofa, they will not cover any future damage (yet they plan to keep funds for the policy)?
    I plan to sue Bobs furniture AND Guardsman this coming week.
    Its a TOTAL SCAM.

• Dw
      12th of Jul, 2010

I am having the same problem with this unethical company I bought the protection plan and it is a total FRAUDE what they tell you and what they do are 2 different things the gentleman from Ram Co in st. Louis, Mo told me he recommended that they replace the couch and he told gardsman what they wanted to hear and it seems that they always say wear and it was not wear my friend and her kids were here and ran the hot wheels on the leather and tore the leather - - but as usual they will try and LIE and CHEAT not to pay for the plan that you bought in good faith.
    Deb

• Kh
      4th of Apr, 2011

this is true they are scam. I bought a dining table and bought an insurance from guardsman. I been denied twice 2 different complain 1st was scratches and the second one the leather was tore on the side of the bench. Why do we have to pay insurance and they won't fix it. They are just getting free $90.00 money. I buy from best buy a tv on 2008 and during 2010 the tv wont turn on. We called they they fix it... Why can't be like this we are paying for the insurance. This is not a good company... Hope people will be aware of not buying guardsman insurance...IT A SCAM...

• Ca
      30th of Aug, 2011

i've been a victim as well and plan to sue them and ashleys furniture. i see the same complaint all over the place. TOTAL SCAM

• Kr
      4th of Oct, 2011

I have the same case as carloselvaggi above. Ashleys Furniture and Guardsman have declined to repair my sofa. They said normal wear and tear is not covered by Sofa. I wonder if anybody had sued Guardsman before and if so what was the outcome? Did the court side with Guardsman because the consumers did not read the contract? [censored]ing greedy merchants. SCAM written all over Ashleys and Guardsman.

• Ci
      12th of Oct, 2011

Guardsman is a scam they do not warranty anything. On the brocuhure it clearly stated that part of the warranty was nail polish. My daughter accidently spilled nail polish on the new dresser 3 days after it was delivered and I called the same day to report it. They sent me a denial letter stating that it wasnt covered under the warranty where it clearly states that it does. When i called them they where rude & also kept saying you have to call within 5 days I told them i called the same day! Then she went on to say well there is acumiltive damage I told her i had had the furniture for 3 days before it happened. She said it didnt matter that it was done in 1 day that it was to much damage to cover. They are liars & it is a SCAM. I bought over 7k in furniure and paid a ton to have the coverage and they dont cover anything. I wish us as consumer could do something about this other than just complaint. This is wrong and furniture companies should not be selling thier product.

• Fr
      26th of Nov, 2012

I bought insurance thru SEAR and was given the run around about timing of claim, the same as above I was told that the claim was reported 10 days after he incident so it was not valid. I spent 20 dollars on registered mail and still I was told that scratches are not covered, opposite to what Sears sales people told me...what a scam.

• Di
      26th of Dec, 2012

if everyone here can get together be a part of a lawsuite and take them down, this is not what america is about we are better then this, its a set back to everyone that such a thing can happened to us. All they are here to do is screw us and take advantage. When i bought my furniture i bought a peace of mind when i called them i felt like a victim and i feel this way for all of you. Its a shame to us and every one doing nothing about it. I am not a lawyer who can teach them a lesson on how your hard money is made, which is free money from them. Thanks i am just going to shut up and rest my case like all of you. amanjasdillon@yahoo.com

• Au
      14th of Jan, 2013

i too was scammed by Guardsman on 12/29/2012, i purchased 5 yr warranty on 4k worth of furniture from Ashley in Kissimmee, Fl. my niece spilled finger nail polish on the sofa, , sent letter asap within 5 days and uploaded pics, , got email back saying not covered.. Going to hire lawyer to sue Guardsman and Ashley for selling a bogus policy. anyone want to join the suit ?

10th of Oct, 2014

I was just denied on a claim also. i bought my furniture at Snows in Tulsa, BOTH should be held accountable. Guardsman insurance is a scam. i paid 100 bucks for a 10 years warranty. it states any holes punctures or rips. THEY LIE !!! Refused to do anything.
    we should all pool together and sue the crooks for damages and all legal fees involved. DO NOT BUY THIS INSURANCE !!!

• Da
      28th of Oct, 2016

So sad that companies like this still get away with these scams in this day and age. I have had the same exact issues and will never purchase from a company again that attempts to sell Guardsman protection plans. I'm also in the process of filing a BBB claim. I advise everyone to do the same.

15th of Dec, 2016

The comments above are true. I bought a dining table and queen size bed through Ashley Furniture with Guardsman 5-year elite protection plan. The reason why I think Guardsman service is a scam is because the process of filing a service repair takes over 1+ hours. They require you to fill out an online form, print it out, scan 4 pages of your sales receipt, print out the 4 pages, and then mail this all the way to Michigan, which could take several days, if not weeks. If I ever meet a Guardsman CEO, I will chop off his/her fingers and break his/her teeth with a hammer for being so misleading.