Green Dot Corporation / return of funds

1 Monrovia, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18667957597

I set up an online bill pay through Greendot for $2000 to a private party. You can only send $1000 at a time so it was two transactions set up to be withdrawn on on 2/17/ and 2/18/2010. The person received one check for $1000 and the second check should have arrived the following day. I waited a week after it was due to be delivered before I called Greendot. On March 1st, I spoke with a representative and was told that they would have to do a stop payment and it would take 3-5 business days to be credited back to my account. I waited the 5 business days and did not receive any money, so I called them back on March 8 (Monday). First, I was told that the transaction was already reversed, and I should receive the credit some time that day. I waited and no money was deposited. So I called on Tuesday around noon, and I was told that a trouble ticket would be sent and I could check on it in 4 hours. When I got home on Tuesday I called again, this time I was told a ticket would have to be created. I explained to her that was already done early in the day and I demanded to speak to a supervisor. She put me on hold for 10 minutes then came back and said that the supervisor was busy and would have to call me back. I chose to hold, about 20 minutes later I spoke with a supervisor "Sam". Sam said they use a third party to process bill pay and they haven't recieved the funds back yet so he would need to contact them, I said he had 24 hours. I also called the person the check had been sent to find out who the third party was. The company was called Northern Trust, I contacted them and found out that the check was never sent out because it was believed to be a duplicate transaction and was stopped immediately on 2/18 (the day it was set to be sent out).When I called Greendot back exactly 24 hours later and again I was told that my case was closed and I should have already recieved a refund, I immediately asked for a supervisor. Sam/Henry answered again (He said this is "Sam" and tried to quickly change it to "Henry" ) said he needed to talk to someone in another department and I said I would be more than happy to wait while he did this he left me on hold for 40 min and then hung up. I just called again this morning and was told to give them another day. I was unable to pay a bill and I am now getting fees accrued. I have already filed my claim with the better business bureau and now I am contacting the arbitrator. I asked for a letter or statement from them explaining that the issue is on their end and I was attempting to pay on time. I want all of my fees paid by Greendot because they were the cause of them.

To

Comments

• Ca
      12th of Apr, 2010

this cartltonturner i tryed to make an appoilconion for a pre- psid cord. After i filled all the imformion the appoilcaion would not let n me put my birthday on it. I tryed to call a nuber at the botme of the appilcation .But i got no were. I am woryed about all the imformation that i put on it geting in the wroug hands.

12th of Apr, 2010

I DON'N understand what to do now i have made a comment.

12th of Apr, 2010

i don't understan what you went me to do.

12th of Apr, 2010

i made this appoilcation today 4-12=2010 i still don'n know what to do.

12th of Apr, 2010

am i talking some one ab0ut i am going though i need to know why i can't put my birth day on an appoilcation for green dot pre-paid card.can you help me with that.

3rd of Jan, 2013

I agree with the comment made by the original poster.
    I have problems with Green Dot Cards as well.
    I was helping a friend in trying to get to another state and he was having unexpected car problems, so I used my Green Dot Card to help him.
    There were a lot of transactions (loading the card) made to help him and the locations would only allow him to withdraw 100 dollars as at time.
    Green Dot Card closed my account, because they said I made too many transactions and they assumed that my intentions were up to no good, and saying that is not what the card is intended for, so they chose to lock me out from ever getting a Green Dot Card again.
    I have not gone to arbitration about this because I do not have the money to pay the arbitrator.

In addition, the assumption made by Green Dot Bank/Corporation of thinking that the multiple transactions made by a customer in loading the card so many times, were up to no good, it can easily set themselves up for actions defamation of character against a customer.

I am a college student majoring in criminal justice and I do not take to insults very kindly.
    I am majoring in criminal justice because I am tired of criminal activities and I look to be in the position to stop criminals in their tracks.

People or Corporations that assume things about others makes a person suspicious, because they have not taken the time to investigate what is really going on with a customer and why he is engaging in certain activities that are not against any laws.
    There is a term called (mens rhea) the purpose or intent that a person is doing an action or deed.
    People make assumptions about others and then acting upon them, or taking the law into their own hands can get in a lot of trouble.
    Green Dot Bank should have contacted a customer and asked him what was going on before they made their assumption about the customer's actions of loading the card so many times.
    It takes just as much time to make their decision on a matter as does to contact a customer on a matter, and maybe even less time to do so.

In addition to being a criminal justice major I believe in helping others if or when I can.
    Again, what Green Dot Bank has done can easily be classified as defamation of character because they acted without investigating, nor tried to contact a person in order to find out what is really going on.

Another thing, in Got Dot Banks implied disclosure agreement, of which, is in the package containing the card and cannot be opened until after purchasing the card.
    The customer does not have the chance to read anything printed on the card until after the purchase is made, twenty five dollars to be loaded on the card initially. That does not allow for the implied disclosure agreement to become valid, because the customer cannot read the agreement until after the purchase is made. .
    In the implied disclosure agreement, Green Dot Bank works to allow for customers to appeal the decisions made against by way of an arbitrator in determining if the customer acted in good faith or not while using the card.
    However, that does not address that fact that Green Dot Bank in their decisions can become that of defamation of character against a customer.
    Another thing, many of the clauses in implied contracts are not valid because many times the clauses themselves are not constitutional in nature, clauses that work against laws that are meant to protect consumers.

• Mr
      27th of Nov, 2013

Green dot is all about making as much money as they can, not customer service. After about 10 months of using the card every day for my daily transactions, they cancelled my card and banned me from ever getting another green dot card. I was using the card to keep my spending under control. Each week I would load my weekly expense budget ($500) on the card and only use the card for my daily expenses. I guess that was OK for 9 months, but I must have tripped a flag this week. The only reason I was using dot over paypower is I liked their website better. Next I'm trying the Western Union card.

• Da
      30th of Apr, 2014

There is no way to talk to a human none of my cards wre filledforcthe past two months march and April of 2014 which means they owe me forty dollars on each card .!!! This company should now be closed as a scam company!!! Darrel L. Perham

• Vi
      23rd of Feb, 2015

I hv been trying for almost a month to dispute two charges on my Green Dot card. I was charged TWICE by Fidelity Life for a pokicy that was cancelled in December. Every time I try to email or telephone, I have to jump through more hoops than a circus dog's act! Nobody knows anything about it--there's no record of it. I am so sick and tired of trying to reason with these people--especially when I'm not the one at fault. $89.20 might not mean much to them but it means a whole lot to me! You can rest assured that anybody everybody who will know what kind of company they're dealing with. The biggest mistake of my life was signing up with Green Dot!

• Fr
      27th of Jun, 2015

you are right they should be closed down. I have been waiting for my card for over 2 months. they keep telling me it was returned to them. in the mean time they cancelled my original card which I purchased. i cannot access my original funds now. now they say they are blamming the post office. BULL..