Grand Canyon University Online / shabby treatment by customer service

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

I've been a student at this so called online university for two years. I have a 3.9 GPU. I cannot get my advisors (academic and financial) to answer the calls I place to them. The financial counselor was supposed to have set up a book loan for me on December 22, 2009 but there is no record of it in the bookstore. The people there are very unresponsive and do not return calls. They now have in debt for tens of thousands of dollars and I'm wondering if the degree I get will be worth the paper it's written one! Unless the book loan goes through soon I will be faced with starting a class without the textbook. Are these people just crooks or what?
John Miller

Comments

• Je
      4th of Jan, 2010

I am a student there and have had no problems. My counselor and everyone I have talked to or dealt with has been extremely helpful. FYI, this is a real "boots on the ground" school whose campus is located in Phoenix, Arizona. As a matter of fact, they just started up a football program. I don't see how you can be a student for 2 years and not have contact with anyone. Sounds fishy to me. Last thing, they are regionally accredited, which, in case you don't know, is the best you can get.

• 1t
      8th of Jan, 2010

I too have been an online student at GCU for some time. I have had a couple of small issues with accounting and such but nothing I was not able to get worked out. I am quite pleased with my education overall and can tell you as a resident of Phoenix that GCU is as much a "real" school as any. If we're talking about athletics (as the previous post mentioned football), I think there are actually 18 sports teams as well as other events, a student union, housing, and not enough parking spots. Everything you'd expect at a University. My suggestion, escalate the issue to a manager. I bet it gets taken care of then. If that doesn't work, try a book rental service like Chegg.com. It's cheaper than buying new books anyhow.

• Bl
      18th of May, 2010

I am a online student at Grand Canyon University, and I have had plenty of issues with the university, however the ground students have access to their financial advisers, and the book store. The online students have to call a call center that is is Tempe or Peoria to reach their financial advisers and they never return your calls, and you have to wait on the phone for many hours to resolve any issues if they get resolved. Lucky me I only live fie hours from the university and I had to drive there to speak to the Office of The President to resolve my issues concerning the lack of communication and poor customer service issues. I am still enrolled at the university it is a great institution to receive an education but the online students suffer more than the ground students.

• Sh
      20th of Mar, 2016

I have had several issues with professors being unprofessional and down right harassing (even openly calling students liars). I cannot learn in such a hostile environment and they refuse to change my class and want me to pay for another class-even though it's their employees that are harassing students!