Glow.com / Deceptive advertising

1 TX, United States Review updated:

Glow.com is deceptive in its offer. They offered trial products with brushes for ONLY "shipping charges $1.95". I assumed they would follow up with an email questionnaire or options to buy more etc. But the next month I found a $90 charge on my credit card, non-refundable. The product is similar to Bare Minerals, but the company is without integrety. If you return the product you will only get a voucher for more product. I won't buy from them again.

Comments

• Sw
      26th of May, 2009

I 'm a retired woman who responded to Glow's online ad
    for free trial makeup for 4.95 in shipping charges. Only after I received and opened the box did an email arrive telling me that I would be charged $90 unless the unopened box was returned by a date that had already passed and that I was enrolled in their "program" for automated shipping monthly. I emailed them accusing them of fraudulent advertising and instructed them to remove me from any further shipping, etc. However, 2 weeks ago I received another shipment which I immediately returned unopened and yet found another charge to my credit card.HELP!!!

• Cl
      27th of May, 2009

I had the same experience and called, but they refused to remove the charges from my credit card. This is a big sham. I did not read all the info and do not remember ever receiving an e-mail telling me I would be charged over $90 unless the product was returned. When I called them the first time, there were over 48 calls waiting ahead of me and the wait time was estimated to be over 40 minutes. The second time I called only 15 calls were in front of mine, and my wait was 15 minutes. When I asked to talk to a supevisor, they said they could not do that. I told them to cancel my account and not to send anything further. Since I do not think I can trust them to do that, I guess I will have to cancel my credit card so they cannot charge my account anymore. I am also going to report them to the BBB.

• Da
      30th of May, 2009

I actually read the terms and conditions, that were indeed in small print, and decided to give the hair care products (Kronos) a try. I did try them for about a week and decided to send them back within the time limit. I emailed and called customer service and the rep was actually very nice and he canceled all future orders and gave me the RMA # needed to return the products. I had until 5/22/2009 and mailed them out of my local post office and have a receipt to prove it and low and behold, I was charged $98.00 yesterday, one week after the date that the items were to be returned. If I had any idea as to what was going to happen, I would have closed my account but 5/22 came and went so I assumed that they received the package, which by the way had a label printed from their email to me with the RMA#. They are closed today but I did email and will follow up with probably many phone calls on Monday. I have absolutely nothing to show for $98.00. This is unfair and fraudulent.

• Et
      2nd of Jun, 2009

I have just had a similar experience with Glow.com. I thought I had signed up for a "free" sample of their skin care, & their cosmetics. They only asked for postage for this sample.

To my horror, I discovered that I was charged $96.35 when I looked at my account yesterday!! I also discovered that they had also taken $90 from my account in April.

These people are running an illegal scam. Does anyone know how to contact the director of Glow? When I called, I only managed to reach the "floor supervisor", who just repeated the same can't help you mantra.

Also, has anyone contacted the FCC about this company? They should be shut down. I'm anxious to hear about others who have been victims of this fraud.

3rd of Jun, 2009

YES, I WAS A VICTIM OF ALL OF THE ABOVE AND I ALMOST HAD A HERAT ATTACK WHEN I SAW 98 DOLLARS CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT AND I GOT AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO THEIR PRODUCTS. MY EMAIL IS AEDEARRIBA@HOTMAIL.COM

• Da
      4th of Jun, 2009

This is an update to my complaint. I made one phone call and was on hold no longer than 5 minutes and within 24 hours my $98.50 was back into my account. The rep was very nice and professional and did exactly what she promised.

HI DANNY,
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT DID YOU DO TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK? MY EMAIL IS AEDEARRIBA@HOTMAIL.COM

• Cl
      4th of Jun, 2009

I could not believe I just received an e-mail from Glow informing me that they had credited my credit card $96.35. I don't know if it was my complaint to Complaint Board or to the BBB that helped get the refund. I will let be checking my credit card to see if they actually did give me the credit. CLJ

• Dr
      9th of Jun, 2009

Someone needs to contact the US Attorney Generals office. I returned the product by the deadline, never recvd any additional products from them, it did not work like stated, and now I have a $90 charge against my card and to boot, has placed my cc overlimit. There are "several hundred companies practicing this type of "fraud". We all need to complain to the highest powers to get companies like this out of business.

Also, I stayed on the phone almost an hour trying to get through to their csr to cancel. I stayed the course, abided by their return rules, and still they are charging me.

• Am
      10th of Jun, 2009

SCAM - SCAM - SCAM!

It's a scam. I thought I was getting a free trial of the product and only paying $4.95 for the shipping. The box arrived with an invoice notice. The notice states that I will be automatically billed $98.50 for the product unless I return it within 30 days. The company will also automatically send me new shipments every 60 days and charge my credit card for $98.50 each time.

I called customer service 866-548-2906 and was told that in order to cancel being charged $98.50, that I need to send the package back and pay for that shipping cost too. So then I'd be out of about $10.

I am going to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the FCC on Glow for fraud and deceptive advertising.

SCAM!

• Am
      10th of Jun, 2009

False Adertising & Theft by Deception – SCAM!

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at
    www.bbb.org

File a complaint wth the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) Bureau of Consumer Protection at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

Contact your state Attorny General’s Office.

It’s a total scam. Glow and its parent company is named Intelligent Beauty. According the Better Business Bureau the following businesses are all the same organization running a scam business under different names. Hundreds of complaints have been filled against them – all for the same deceptive scheme of offering something for FREE and then automatically charging customers for the products and autaomatically senting more of the product every 30-60 days. All of the following companies have the same VP, Mike Shay, listed with the BBB and have headquarters in the same office at 2301 Rosecrans Ave., El Segundo, CA.

The contact for all of the companies is:
    Mike Shay, VP

Address for all of the companites is:
    2301 Rosecrans Ave., El Segundo, CA 90266
    866-381-4204

Names they do business under (all have the same address, executives, and SCAMS):

Intelligent Beauty (Parent Company)
    www.ibinc.com

Raw Natural Beauty
    www.rawnaturalbeauty.com

Redpoint Beauty
    www.redpointbeauty.com

What Intelligent Beauty, LLC is doing (and under the business names listed above) is automatically creating accounts that will sent customers products every 30-60 days and automatically charging the customers’ credit cards is called a “Negative Rule Option”. There there is a federal law to protect consumers from companies like Glow (Intelligent Beauty, LLC) that are deceptive and don’t make it the “Negative Rule Option” obvious to readers.

Reference information on the Federal Law of Negative Option Plans is as follows and can be read in full at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=16&PART=425&SECTION=1&TYPE=TEXT

[Code of Federal Regulations]
    TITLE 16--COMMERCIAL PRACTICES
    CHAPTER I--FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
    PART 425_USE OF PRENOTIFICATION NEGATIVE OPTION PLANS--Table of Contents

17th of Jun, 2009

Be sure you start counting the 30 day trial period from the date you place your order...I received my order 7 days after I sent it online and exactly 30 days from the date I ordered guess what? my trial period was over even though I'd only had the stuff 3 weeks!

17th of Jun, 2009

STUNNED IN CLEVELAND-GLOW needs an ethics committee to view their outrageous business practices, none of which any conscientious company would employ.

NO ONE in their bloody mind would pay 90.00 for a 'membership'- for Glow cosmetics. I like so many others, were lured by promise of a fabulous finish for my face for a mere 4.95 - such a bargain!
    I am livid with this unscrupulous company, and perhaps the best thing maybe to mount a civil suit against the company but until then I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and additional avenues.
    As soon as I saw the debit in my account I e-mailed the bank, and flagged the company name,
    I have boxed and sent back the ridiculous costing powders, which be known cost as little as five dollars (less) for the ingredients and packaging-
    For 4.95 a nice way to try a new cosmetic, for 90.00 we can purchase the materials, facial powders are abundant on line with corresponding color additives to match our lovely skin and packaging to extol the naturalness of the cosmetics...
    I will keep fighting until I receive my money back, it was illegal what they did, and I will continue to write about them...oh did I mention the removal of the money from my account over drafted three items@ 36.00 per item.
    It's difficult not to feel like a fool, but for five minutes I will let this effect me, curse a bit and resume writing about GLOW.

• Ca
      17th of Jun, 2009

Glow.com IS A SCAM SCAM. I just had a similar experience with Glow.com am going to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the FCC on Glow for fraud and deceptive advertising.
    They offered trial products with brushes for ONLY "shipping charges $1.95". I assumed they would follow up with an email questionnaire or options to buy more O SONTHING But I found a $90 charge on my credit card, non-refundable. The product is similar to Bare Minerals, but the company is without integrity. If you return the product you will only get a voucher for more products. I won't buy from them again. !!!THE SOLUTION IS CANCELING THA CREDIT CARD AND TELLS YOUR BANK THE SEND A NEW ONE... OK...SO THEY CAN’T GET YOUR MONEY!!!

6th of Jul, 2009

My experience with glow is a little different. I have received a package from them that I didn't order at all!. I didn't even know of their existence!
    So I have called the bank and informed them about the fraudulent transaction on my card then requested to close the account not to have other unauthorized charges. Next I have called glow to let them know about the fraud and added that I didn't want to spend my time and money to send back something that I didn't order from the beginning. The customer service representative was very polite, listened to the whole story, put me on hold for about 1 min and when he came back on the phone, he told me not to worry about it, that he had taken note of everything and that I will be reimbursed for what was charged on the card ($3.95) that there will be not extra charges and that I could do whatever I wanted with the products.
    Reading all of the above, I will keep an eye on it. I will also keep the products unopened and see what happens. Hopefully this will be it and never hear from them again :)

I'll keep you posted!

• Ms
      6th of Jul, 2009

I do so hope people are reading this BEFORE ordering anything from Glow! I sent them an email asking if the 30 days was from the date I placed the order, the date they shipped it, or the date I received it. No response. Evidently it starts counting from the day you place the order, as I had the $96.35 taken out of my account easily within 30 days that date. There was also a #29 charge from them and I never did figure out what that was for. I called and complained, also sent another email that went unanswered, and got a RMA # and mailed the products back to them. My account was credited both the $96.35 and the mysterious $29, I am happy to say, but never never never again will I fall for any "free trial" offer...from anybody!

• Lr
      21st of Jul, 2009

I am experiencing the same thing as everyone else. I called to get the free trial of Raw Minerals. That same day I realized that they automatically add you to a regular shipping schedule and charge your account monthly. I called them and told them to take me off of their monthly plan. I let them know I was not interested in that. The representative was pleasant and did what I asked (so I thought). Yet, I discovered a month later that my checking account was charged $90. I went to their website and saw that my acccount was not active, so I wondered why my account was charged. Also, I did not have any shipping confirmation indicating that something was coming. I am furious. I plan on calling this morning as soon as they open, however I am fearful that they will not credit my account from reading all of the above complaints. I plan on calling my bank this morning to see about getting a new debit card to prevent this from happening again. I am furious!!

• Tk
      21st of Jul, 2009

I too got ripped off by Glow but I did get my money back I filed a complaint with the FTC and BBB, they tell you trial offer for only 9.95 nothin else to buy then u get billed 95.70 a month for things that cannot cost that much at all.

• Ck
      24th of Jul, 2009

I have had similar experiences as all of you. I ordered a skin care line from Glow.com's IQ Derma line. I paid initial shipping and was told that if I didn't like the product, even if I used all of it, to return within 30 days and I would not be charged the $90. I didn't like the product within a week, notified them via their website, got the needed RMA return number and received an email telling me the product had to be received by the company in the Valencia California address by July 3. I mailed the package priority mail on June 24 and thankfully purchased a delivery confirmation from the post office. The delivery confirmation confirms that the package was received by the company on June 26th, which is days before the deadline. I have just now checked my credit card statement, and discovered that Glow.com has billed my credit card for the full $90 twenty days AFTER they received my package. I am calling the company once their office opens and I will NOT be paying for this fraudulent transaction. I am also going to report this to the BBB. I am furious and heads are gonna roll with this company. DO NOT buy anything from this company!!!

• Th
      1st of Aug, 2009

This is a horrible company, the same thing happened to me, I contacted my bank immediatly, within 5 days my account was credited and so where all my overcharges on my account, I also got the initial 4.95 back from the company. I consider myself very lucky. I reported the company to everyone I could, got the names of people I talked to at glow.com. My advice is NOT TO BUY anything from this company or their other companies. Talk about a scam...