Gexa Energy / Unethical Billing Practices

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

GEXA ENERGY ENGAGES IN UNETHICAL BILLING PRACTICES. They have increased my rates SIXTY TWO PERCENT in 3 months, right after promising me the lowest rate in the market! In addition, I have been charged unwarranted late fees repeately on my bills, all while my bills were paid timely.

The details: First, they promised a 13 cent per Kwh rate when I signed up. Their ads they give you the impression that they are the cheapest provider in the market. Of course I signed up in response to the ads. Once I did they proceded to increase my rate more than 62% in 3 quick months! My electric bill at my condo had never been higher than $300, ever... even earlier this year with another provider. Once I went with Gexa, I saw my rate increase to MORE THAN $8OO PER MONTH!! For a condo!!! That's absolutely ABSURD.

Meanwhile, they set up their billing so that it's nearly impossible to pay on time if you pay by check. I never use auto pay services with any vendors because to do so is giving others the keys to your checking account or credit card. However, I pay all of my bills on time with a check. Most vendors give you 30 days from their billing date to pay and be considered timely. This is common business practice and is logical. Gexa's trick is that they only give you 17 DAYS from their statement date TO PAY! You don't have time to get them your check on time.

The key here is that it's from their STATEMENT DATE. The meter is running before the bill ever leaves their office, and they give you an unprecedently short period of time thereafter to pay. By the time they mail you your statement, you receive it at your mailbox, then you write a check to them, and then they finally receive it in the mail, there's a good chance that it's been slightly more than 17 days. Certainly it's been less than 30 days, so you're on time, paying before the next billing cycle closes. However, it's likely been a few more than 17 days so according to Gexa, you're late! You've paid 2 WEEKS BEFORE THE NEXT MONTH'S BILL is sent out, yet they hit you with a $35+ late fee, PLUS INTEREST.

This billing trick is especially effective if you have the audacity to go out of town on a business or pleasure trip for a few days and don't happen to get the Gexa bill the day it arrives in the mail.

TOTAL SCAM!!

I called about my SIXTY TWO PERCENT RATE INCREASE and my UNETHICAL LATE CHARGES. Gexa staff said they would change me to a fixed rate plan (for a FEE), and they also said they would reverse only one late fee as, get this, ... "a courtesy"... but they wouldn't adjust the two others they put on my account.

I have switched providers. In the end, this company loses out because I was with my former provider for more than 11 years. GEXA RIPPED ME OFF FOR FOUR MONTHS, BUT THAT'S ALL THEY'RE GOING TO GET FROM ME.

I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE. THERE ARE OTHER PROVIDERS TO CHOOSE FROM!!!

Ra

Comments

Ge
  19th of Feb, 2009

I am an affected customer, and an attorney, and am speaking with law firms who handle class actions. I have reason to believe their price increases were unlawful. Please let me know if you're interested in getting involved. gexacase@yahoo.com