Geek Squad Home Services / unrelated charges, misinformation

1 1375 Kenyon St., NWDC, WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 203-815-3525

The agent came to my place of business and received a list of items that I wanted him to perform (which included a starred item — the original reason I requested their service). At the end of four hours, he submitted an invoice to me that included three different items, including a min. 159 dollar "diagnosis" fee. He also informed me at that time that he was not capable of doing the operation I originally requested and that I would need to contact the BTC (business tech. center) to assess that particular problem. He mentioned that the operator that originally took my apt. must have misunderstood me when I requested the service because they are sometimes not educated about these issues. However, when he reread the communication that was sent to him, it clearly stated the original issue. Why then is he charging me for work that was not originally requested upon making the call? And if in fact these subsidiary issues were asked of him, why did he not mention the costs of these until after the service was completed? I have spoken with their "mission control" over three times and confirmed that they are to inform their clients of additional fees before completing them. When the agent was later contacted to confirm my dispute, he said that he did in fact inform me beforehand. He did not. I explained the situation at the time of service and eventually paid the minimum labor fee of 159 dollars. Later, after 15 mins of him leaving, the two things extra that were being charged for were not done correctly and were even in worse condition than before. The owner of the company had to trouble shoot the issue himself and now still wonders why he should pay the 159 dollars at all! After being transferred to Best Buy Customer Care three times (I was told Geek squad doesnt have a cust. care department), I was finally referred back to Geed Squad to resolve this matter as Best Buy "cannot do anything to adjust these fees". All this time, the Geek Squad said they could do nothing until the agent called back again to make his claim. Finally, I just spoke with someone at Geek Squad to see if he had called in by 515 pm (I gave ample time for him to do so according to the original 12 pm time they said to call today). The agent still hadn't called. Finally, the gentleman on the phone said he was able to "escalate the case" in order for the Geek Squad's customer care department to review the case. As much as I am shocked to hear about this new department that has been there all along, I now await "24-48 hrs" for them to contact me with their resolution to this matter.in either case, I would not suggest using this service unless you are VERY clear to what you want done and what the cost will be. Be sure to reiterated your needs to the operator to avoid this confusion. As well, be sure they have logged your appointment as my first one was never made in their system, and by chance I called back to confirm the appointment when they were able to make one for the original date. All in all, I've never been so bewildered by the attempts of customer care to resolve this matter (ie. Best Buy AND the aloof Geek Squad cust. care), as well the poor service of the Geek Squad agent to charge for services w/o giving the fee beforehand, which might I add, still need to be addressed.

Comments

St
  21st of Jan, 2008

As another customer with a poor service situation from the Geek Squad, I am appalled with their system of service. A year ago I bought a computer and ordered in home setup. Appointment and time is setup then the "agent" never shows nor do I receive a phone call. I called their 800 number and found that I wasn't in the system. Local Best Buy got involved and covered the problem - the next day. Again I buy another computer several weeks ago from another Best Buy store, they setup a home visit with appointment, time, etc. Exactly the same - never showed, never called. I contacted the 800 Geeks, gave them my order number and again, I'm not in the system. This was Saturday. Best they could do was Wednesday. I contacted the local store, explained my experiences and simply said what I've been told is unexceptable. Overall I've wasted a whole lot of hours with these people. The store sent out one of their counter people to do the setup the next day.

I cannot conceive how a company (Geek Sqaud) based on service can function in this capacity let alone last. I have not recieved any explanations or apologies from corporate Geeks. I am personally in the transportation business and dispatch trucks from the midwest to the west coast at 2000 miles. We are consistantly 99% on time year after year. We deal with driver hours, logs, weather, traffic, machinery (tractor/trailers) etc. Far greater complexities than scheduling Geeks in a local environment. Perhaps they need OUR system software. Also being in the service business, we ALWAYS call if running behind or need to reschedule.

Although their agents do a good job once they arrive, I would never use them again because of the inconvenience of their service - saying it nicely. Oh yes, no way yet that I found where I can send a complaint to corporate Geeks.