Gamestop / new open product

1 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

I read an older complaint regarding gamestop's practice of opening a new game, filing away the game that is within a sleeve, slapping a price on the box and selling it as new. I am a former Gamestop employee and say that this practice is tried and true but here is something that most customer's are not aware of and Gamestop does not allow their employees from revealing this fact: Employees are allowed to "rent" these open new games from inventory, take them home to try and return and can in turn be sold later on. I have seen that employees have in some cases returned these games with some or more damage and return them back into the drawer without reporting the damage. So in essence, gamestop customers are purchasing game that are reported as new but in fact have already been tried out by an employee at one point or another and I have personally witnessed customers that do not like to buy opened product while being sold as new.

I have also heard of cases of employees bringing in their used damaged system and switching them out with a better conditioned used system. So you never know when you maybe be purchasing a damaged 360.

New systems are kept mostly in the bathroom in the back office and can sometimes be splashed on by faucet water or even bodily fluids.

I once had a customer come to me and say that his 360 had given him the 3 rings of death. Now, as some of you may be aware Microsoft did implement a 3 year warranty for anyone with this problem. As I was about to inquire how long ago he purchased his 360 so that he may contact Microsoft since it may still be in warranty for this problem, my store manager quietly stood behind me and knudged me and shook her head so as to explain now to tell the customer of this so that he can bring his damaged system for a trade in so that he can put in more money as the difference to get a used one, if not new. Gamestop does instruct their employees to go through anything to get customers to trade in their used games, accessories, systems so as to maximize their profits.

Comments

• La
      11th of May, 2009

I can collaborate CONCERN's story regarding the "rental" process of new games. It's put in place because, instead of GameStop simply giving their employees more money/hours or a bigger discount in order to play new games (so they can talk about them to the customers) they simply let them take the games from the sleeves. Convenient, I guess, that they'd put games in these sleeves (they're nothing special, usually just yellow/off-white CD sleeves) for "security purposes" even though the GameStop I worked at had numerous cameras and an electronic security system.

The end result? You may buy a "new" game that /could/ have scratches or damage on it. Your best bet, then, is to buy USED, because then you can return the game for ANY REASON (DO NOT let them tell you otherwise, this IS policy) up to 7 days after purchase. If they don't let you do that at a particular store, take it to Corporate, take it to the District Manager, and in one case I had to go even higher than that jerk off.

• Ye
      30th of May, 2009

Putting the games in sleeves decreases theft, security cameras are great until the robbers steal the dvr and the backup like they did in the store that I work at. Yes new games can be checked out by employees, but that doesn't mean that every new game in the store has been played. The chances of you buying a new game that has been played by an employee is slimmer than you may think it is. While not every Gamestop is the same you have to realize that there are only so many employees at the store, and tons of games. Besides Gamestop offers warranties on all products that for either 1 or 3 bucks will guarantee a return for any reason for up to a year.

That's better than what you are going to get anywhere else. You should be asked when you are making a purchase if you would like to place a warranty on your item. Your answer should always be yes. Because, lets say 6 months down the road you get friction burn on your game from playing with your 360 vertical instead of horizontal, you can take it back to Gamestop and still get your money back.

Quit complaining about possibly of playing a new game that may have been played once. You buy it for the condition it is in. If you are buying a new game and there are scratches on it, raise hell about it. It's just like buying a new car, you buy it for the condition, your not going to tell them to sell it to you at a used price because somebody drove it already.

• Cy
      9th of Aug, 2009

Right, 1 or 3 extra dollars above and beyond retail to ensure that open-box game you've sold us as new doesn't crap out on us. Get real yepyep. Besides, that practice is totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand, and would be even if it wasn't almost completely nonsensical.

The issue at hand is that Gamestop opens games and sells them as new. We don't want to hear excuses for it. It's an inexcusable practice no matter how Gamestop corporate wants you to spin it to us. The simple fact is that on the surface, it appears that Gamestop has absolutely no qualms with circumventing its own policies when it benefits them, while the rest of us are stuck with a game as soon as we open it.

Consider this; I buy a game and take it home. I open it up and play it once, and find out that it's an utterly ### waste of sixty bucks. So I bring it back to you in pristine condition. Now what happens? You folks tell me that you can't give me my cash back since I've opened it, and that you can only give me a small fraction of what I paid for it in store credit as a trade-in, and something like 20 percent less if I want cash for it. Now see, therein lies the issue. It's apparently alright for you folks to open a game for various reasons and resell it to me for the full price of an unopened copy, and it's your assertion that this practice is okay as long as the game is in pristine condition, but apparently what's good for the Gamestop goose isn't good for the gander. If you can't see why that would put some people's dander up, then you're drinking too much of the Gamestop Kool-Aid.

Now I know why this is. Folks brought a class-action suit against Gamestop sometime in either the late 90's or the early 2000's, because they were allowing folks to return games and then reselling them as new. Your policies aren't about combating piracy, or any other heavy-handed justification. It's simply a case of a vocal minority ruining things for the rest of us. However, being that the suit was never about the condition of the games, but was predicated on the very issue that's being addressed now; that you folks were selling open-box items as brand new, then it would seem to me that it would be in Gamestop's best interest to find a new way to display games, and to discontinue their employee check-out perk lest it find itself in the same boat once again. If the rumblings from a few months back have anything to say about it, these practices may very well be found to be in violation of that class action suit.*

Anyway, I don't think that any of us really give a ### about the condition of the disks we're being fraudulently sold as new, especially when the same schpiel wouldn't work in reverse, so you can drop that worthless defense. If I'm buying something new, I want it unopened, and free of the possibility that one of you took it home and played it. You can bring the games back in pristine condition, but that you opened it and took it home is the very definition of pre-played no matter what the condition it's returned in, and if that ### doesn't fly for us, it shouldn't fly for you.

Oh, and the car analogy? That doesn't apply. Buying a new car is hardly the same as buying videogames, and besides, the car industry has provisions in place to account for miles accrued during test-drives. You don't have those same provisions in place. In fact Gamestop doesn't have any provisions in place to account for its practices at all.

As an aside, I don't know why a company that treats its work-force so poorly has such overzealous employees. Yet every single time I read a complaint against Gamestop, it's invariably accompanied by a response by one of you, and you always defend the company like it's the best thing to ever grace the Earth with its existence. It's mystifying to me why you folks would go out of your way to speak in favor of policies you know to be complete ### at all, much less do it so zealously for a company that only treats you as well as your numbers. Yet you do. All the damned time. It's amazing.

Now what's really sort of pathetic is that almost none of you have any grasp of how to speak to people amiably. In fact many of you straight-up trash-talk your customers. Hell, look at you. Instead of simply pointing out policy and being done with it, you go on to tell folks to quit complaining. Forget for a moment that it's their right to complain about it, it's highly inappropriate of you as a representative of Gamestop to speak to your customers that way, whether you're on the clock or not. That you feel that it's appropriate to go online and treat them so poorly is highly indicative of just how ill suited many of you are to a retail position. Which is all that it is. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Gamestop isn't a foot in the door to the videogame industry. I wish Gamestop would stop hiring kids fresh out of highschool and start employing people who not only have a working knowledge about videogames, but who also know what it takes to work in retail, but I digress.

Now I don't know what Gamestop's policies are about representing the company online these days, but in my time as a Gamestop employee back before they went downhill, they were very adamant about making sure we watched what we said and did as a representative of the company. For all it's faults since, I can't imagine that the company would like to hear that its work-force is being uncouth douche-bags online, and contributing to the public's negative image of them. If you weren't hiding behind a screen-name, they just may have had the opportunity to address this case of it.

* http://kotaku.com/5254827/gamestop-class-action-attorney-investigating-latest-used-as-new-claims