G4S AVIATION SECURITY / Male operative searching female passenger's hand luggage

1 Bournemouth airport, England, Hampshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

H/W self-explanatory e-mails of complaint and reply from Bournemouth airport security management.

Dear Mr Brogden,

Thankyou for replying at length to my complaint regarding the actions of your security staff...I would hesitate to call it "poor customer service" as that would be to indicate that I agree to being called a "customer". I am a British traveller, citizen, person or member of the public, but I am not your customer. If I were your customer I would have the choice of accepting or rejecting your service which I cannot...except by taking the option by not travelling by air.

I am not satisfied with your reply regarding the matter of the male operative searching the hand luggage of my wife...He examined a tube of vaginal cream and other feminine hygeine products, underpants and bra, stockings. Our possessions are personal, and when they are searched by a member of the opposite sex this can cause devastating embarrassment and annoyance. I had great difficuly in not remonstrating loudly against such an outrageous lack of management in not having a female operative available for the task, and I intend to take this matter to a higher authority. In no way do you directly address this incident in your reply.

It would appear that the public in Britain have very little say or choice in this matter of a) the neccessity for such rigid security checks, nor b) the fact that they are run by a profit-needing-motivated privatised company viz: G4S Aviation Security. (the "G4S" being unfathomably mysterious)...That you also tag "national airport security provider" to it's title does little to alleviate my feelings that it is still a private company making a lot of money without any substantial arguement as to the actual need for it. Precautionary measures are all well and good, but the zealous need to check every bottle, jar, tube or container that might contain whatever H.M. Government could consider dangerous would appear to this citizen as quibbling and time wasting, causing tactless behavior in operatives as our experience so well illustrates. If there are any indications that I am wrong in thinking this, I welcome being informed to the contrary.

As I cannot forsee that the rigours of passing through airport security in Britain will be made any less of an embarrassment in the foreseeable future, I must again reiterate our preference, from now on, for "jumping on the train" when visiting my country. It would also appear to be far less polluting I believe, and more relaxing.

Yours sincerely,

Cc: Wendy.Jones@bournemouthairport.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:30 AM
Subject: Bournemouth Airport Feedback

Dear Mr John

Thank you for your email dated 21st June 2009, in regard to your recent travel experience through Bournemouth Airport. Your email has been passed to me as the security function falls within my remit. All feedback from our customers is welcomed and where possible actions are taken to improve the passenger experience through Bournemouth Airport.

I would firstly like to apologies on behalf of Bournemouth Airport for what you felt was poor customer service due to the actions of security staff. The security function at Bournemouth Airport is provided under contract by G4S Aviation Security, a national airport security provider. We are working closely with the contract provider to ensure that all security staff conduct themselves in a manner commensurate with the high quality of customer service that we aspire to.

In response to the points covered in your email we are directed by the Department For Transport regarding the baggage search compliance standards that are applied by security staff. The UK retains a high security threat level, therefore standards and methodology of security performance are monitored and tested on a regular basis both internally and externally, unfortunately the directions give very little latitude of flexibility to airports or security.

We are currently undergoing a significant redevelopment programme which has already included the up-grading to existing equipment. The Archway Metal Detectors are an advanced generation therefore the technology selects the passenger for body search rather than the security operative placed in front.

You have my assurance that I will be monitoring the security staff training and the subsequent maintenance of good customer skills to ensure they are practised with courtesy at all times to ensure we strive to meet the expectations of our passengers.

Once again I am sorry that your recent travel experience did not meet with your aspirations and I do hope you will consider using Bournemouth Airport for your travel needs in the future. Should you have any difficulties, you now have my contact details and our duty manager is always on hand to support and help.

Regards

Tony Brogden
Security, Safety & PRM Manager
Bournemouth Airport

T [protected]
M [protected]
F [protected]Disclaimer

This E-mail transmission is confidential and intended for the addressee only.
It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the person or organisation to whom it is addressed, you must not look at its contents, copy or distribute or take any action in reliance upon it.

Accordingly, MAG (The Manchester Airports Group) disclaims all responsibility and accept no liability ( including in negligence ) for the consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written confirmation.

If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify IS Service Desk immediately by telephoning [protected]. Please also delete the message from your computer.

Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and or publication of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited.

www.bournemouthairport.com

Bournemouth International Airport Ltd, Registered Office Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 6SE. Registered in England and Wales with company number 2078270.

Comments

Dj
  29th of Sep, 2009

I also have a complaint i left bournemoth airport on friday last week, my bag was 6 kg over the security guard told me that i had to reduce this so i was taken outside and gave my wife some of my belongings, on my return i was 2kg over of which i told him, his reply was that HE have the right to stop you flying today he told me that ryanair only allow 10kg and that HE would inforce that rule to me by stopping me flying. in my eyes i did not or could not believe that a company that are employed by bournemouth airport are that concerned about ryanair it looks to me that he is on the payrole of ryanair, i no this is not the case i could not believe his attitude.
i understand that we have rules and have no problem with that i think the person was way above his station and would like to see some thing done to make traveling a pleasure not a worry.
i spoke to a number of people they also said that that they treat you like criminals, i hope you send someone there undercover. and see for yourself with they attitude on arrival i had a computer in a separate bag the operator said the bag should go in the case i told hom it would but when i go in the computor woud have to come out of the case to save time i put it in the bag he told me to put it in the case and leave it there again he have on sence as this again holds up the proccess of transfer my computor would and did go into my flight bag.look forward to your reply

david vickery age 61

my e-mail djv1@hotmail.co.uk

Dj
  30th of Sep, 2009

I also have a complaint I left Bournemouth airport on Friday last week, my bag was 6 kg over the security guard told me that I had to reduce this, so I was taken outside and gave my wife some of my belongings, on my return I was 2kg over of which I told him, his reply was that HE have the right to stop you flying today he told me that ryanair only allow 10kg and that HE would enforce that rule to me. in my eyes I did not or could not believe that a company that are employed by Bournemouth airport are that concerned about ryanair it looks to me that he is on the payroll of ryanair I no this is not the case I could not believe his attitude.
I understand that we have rules and have no problem with this I think the person was way above his station and would like to see something done to make travelling a pleasure not a worry.
I spoke to a number of people they also said that that they treat you like criminals, I hope you send someone there undercover. and see for yourself what is happening to the travellers at the beginning of there holidays.

On my arrival at the airport I had my computer in a separate bag knowing full well that it had to go in my hand luggage once thought customs trying to save time unfortunately the check in person told me that the computer had to be in hand luggage I explained the reason for this, he then told me to put in in my hand luggage and leave it there, (a great attitude) once in the custom hall guest what I had to remove it from my luggage.
I feel that some people have no or little sense to be in a job of so much importance to be totally mindless it would be better to employ a robot. Look forward to your reply.

David Vickery