Frontier Communicationsfalse advertising or bait-and-switch

I received a flyer yesterday (January 8) with the message "Thank You-A really big gift for our most valued customers." Inside was a message that said " Renew your existing Frontier plan today and we'll give you a $100 Apple Gift Card as our special way of saying 'Thanks" for your loyalty." They also say they will increase the gift to a $150 Apple Gift Card if you upgrade your plan. My existing plan is an internet only plan without a two-year contract that costs me about $50 a month. When I called the number on the flyer, I was told that to receive the $100 gift card I will have to sign a two-year contract, not just renew my existing plan. To me that is either Bait-and-Switch, or at least false advertising. Shabby marketing. Attached is a copy of the flyer I received.

Frontier Communications

By
Jan 09, 2013

Comments

• Ga
      Jan 10, 2013

Renewing usually means signing a contract. There's no incentive to give away free stuff when you're month to month. Seems pretty obvious to me. I don't see any bait and switch here.

• Jc
      Jan 14, 2013

Same thing happened to me. I have internet AND local service. I was told that I did not have the "right plan" but I could sign up for a new one. The gift was for existing Frontier cusotmers and not "Thank you for becoming aa new or upgraded customer". It smells and feels like a Bait and Switch. Free or not GailOrchard, this gift was for existing customers - - we qualified by the information letter given - - and we should be recognized. They knew who they were sending these Thank You's to. If there were exclusions, they could have easily excluded those that did not qualify.

• Pa
      Jan 16, 2013

Frontier is famous for the fine print, to the point of being misleading. I only do business with them because I have and have no other choice. I would never choose to do business with them simply because of their openly misleading advertising and promotion year after year are dishonest. Trust and respect are paramount to how a business treats its customers, this advertising is not. I pay more per month for my dsl so I do not have be in contract. I went to great lengths to make sure that they understood this and I understood the terms and conditions to my month to month dsl. After a year they automatically enrolled me into a contract without my consent. Only after I saw the changes in my bill and complained. If I had not notice the change in my bill that month I would have been bound to the terms of a two year contract I did not consent or agree to. But there it was in the fine print in that monthly bill read that if i did not respond and cancel that it was binding. All I can say be careful when you do any business with Frontier Communications

• Dm
      Jan 23, 2013

This advertisement was EXTREMELY misleading. I am a current Frontier customer & received the flyer in the mail. When I called, I was informed that to be eligible for the $100 gift card offer I had to sign a new contract under their current prices, and that I could not receive the card if I renewed my current contract. That speaks for itself: HELLO FALSE ADVERTISING!

FYI, the increase to my bill would have been an additional $9/month, offsetting the gift card value in less than a year... No thanks Frontier.

• Sh
      Mar 05, 2013

It seemed obvious to me, especially since it says right on the flyer, "to frontier customers who renew with a new two-year qualifying package" for the $100 card and "upgrade to a new two year qualifying package" for the $150. Not sure how it is misleading when it says it right on the flyer. I actually got it the flyer in the mail the same day that I had planned to call and upgrade to a faster DSL plan, so it worked out very well for me. With the current price promotion on the higher speed plan, I am paying a little over a dollar less on the new contract per month than on the old contract before taxes. (Part of this is because with the higher plan, the wifi modem is included free of charge and I currently pay 6.99 a month for it).

As with everything, read the entire flyer. Save yourself some disappointment!

• Sh
      May 03, 2013

Something need to be done about Frontier and their misleading and false advertising of services they have available. I was considering switching to Frontier for my highspeed because the only other alternatives are cable and satellite internet in the area I am in. I went to their site to see what was available and typed in my address and zip code and I get a page that says "Internet Plans in Elizabeth Wv" and it gives three starting at 39.99 for 6mbps going to $49 for 12 mbps and finally 25mbps for 59.99. I decided to go ahead and Add to Car t the 59.99. when I do I get a box that says "We cannot verify that Frontier Service is available in your area to complete your order call our toll free number" Now mind you I live in Elizabeth Wv and I looked up services specifically for Elizabeth Wv (According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.53 square miles (1.37 km2), of which, 0.47 square miles (1.22 km2) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) is water. so we are not a large area) When I call they tell me the only service available to us is 3mbps for 29.99 and try to song and dance me as to why I am lying about what their website says is available. Well here are the screen shots from the site if this is not false advertising or bait and switch advertising then I do not know what is.