Freelancer.com / illegal exchange rate

Suite 52, Jones Bay Wharf 26-32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont, New South Wales, Australia Review updated:

Hi all

I am am one of the victim of Freelancer.com. First time user from UK i wish i could find this blog before paying money to them.

I did deposit 480 USD (They charged me 492 USD) to my account.

I was trying to create milestones for project,

4 pieces of 120 USD

I did not realised that it is on GBP then i did cancel it. All money came back to my GBP account. I converted them to my USD account.

When i deposited i had

£ 5 and $ 480 in my account.

When i converted i see that i have

$441.52 and £5.00 i have so i lost 38.48 USD in seconds???

USD and GBP exchange rates doesnt change like that in a second? I know the market. I know that guys would like to get profit but that is cheating. There is no that much high profit in Money Exchange Market? And it is impossible.

Then i emailed them and Costumer Service was terrible. They just said they can not fix it and to give my money back they offered more than 2 weeks???

This is scam. I cannot accept it. They can not charge users that much exchange rate this is insane. This is a big scam.

I don't know what to do to be honest. I claimed to get it back on Paypal but it is going to take ages. And they will keep my money god knows for how long.

Shame to do business like that.

Thanks for listening :(

Comments

• Wh
      21st of Nov, 2012

Hi turantekin,

I am so sorry reading your complaint. I am an illustrator and I worked on freelancer.com until recently. This company is without a doubt, a huge scam. Why? Well my friend, because the exact same thing happened to me. That being only ONE of the problems I have with them. Their exchange rate is illegal. They try to rob and scam people, both freelancers and clients (buyers). It's a shame. I have stopped working with them now. They allow scam freelancers to roam around, as they allow scam buyers. Their e-mail support and live support chat is absolutely ridiculous. They offer no help at all, and all they do is tell you there is nothing they can do. It is clear they are all trying to do one thing: scam you.
    There are HUNDREDS of user complaints both from freelancers and buyers about their site. Just search on google. 90% of these involve freelancer.com STEALING their money, blocking accounts as soon as they break 200$, charging buyers TWICE and overall robbing people. And even worse, Freelancer.com just bought/acquired Vworker.com. They are a millionaire company, growing by stealing money, and getting away with it. I would personally take this into my own hands if I could, and sue their ###. But I am just a freelancer looking for work. I cannot afford that.

Well in short mate, don't feel so bad. There are HUNDREDS in your situation and even worse. Oh and did you ever get your money back?

Thank you for sharing.

• Ap
      31st of Oct, 2013

Freelancer has became a great scammer in the world.
    Its full of scam buyers and lots of scam programmers.
    I have worked with freelancer for 5+ years. they never care about scammers and provide no support and wont protect neither buyer or worker.

Thy are only looking at new ways to steal our money. they invited some certificate things and charge us to take exams, if we dont we can not bid on many projects.

Thy have made different currencies, so he can steal more because of their illegal ridicules exchange rate.

I got charged for few projects, because buyer rewarded a project to me, and buyer changed his mind and never answered me!!!
    i got charged for nothing and earned nothing.

i hope they were something we could do, im struggling making money for my educations and i have no other choice even though im very skilled in my work.

• El
      6th of Feb, 2016
    Best Best Advice

I just got hit with the currency exchange scam on freelancer.com

This is actually illegal in Australia and the EU.

At it's most basic level Freelancer.com is executing an illegal Dynamic Currency Exchange, which has already been ruled against many times most recently against Visa who were fined 18million AUD.

I suspect with freelancer they are actually operating an unlicensed foreign exchange brokerage to illegally profit (they exchange at upto 10% above the wholesale rate).

Would anyone be interested in finding out more and making a joint complaint to the regulator if I did the donkeywork?

22nd of Sep, 2016

@Elbar79 I lost a measly $4 but yeah, this is egregiously dishonest. I can't imagine what it would be like uf ai had more m i ney passing through them. You'd think Australia's white collar crime division would do something given the number of reports. I'd be willing to sign anything that is used for reporting them.

22nd of Sep, 2016

I never thought I'd be in a position to look up fine print, but yeah, there's this in their terms and conditions:
    45. No Class Actions
    You and we agree that you and we will only be permitted to bring claims against the other only on an individual basis and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative action or proceeding. Unless both you and we agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate or join more than one person's or party's claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of a consolidated, representative, or class proceeding. In addition, the arbitrator may award relief (including monetary, injunctive, and declaratory relief) only in favour of the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent necessary to provide relief necessitated by that party's individual claim(s). Any relief awarded cannot affect other Users.

• Li
      5th of Mar, 2018

I have loss every time i withdraw.
    Because of my local currency need two step exhange diffrence
    First usd to Euoro then again euoro to usd and at last usd to local currency so every 100 dollar become 65

• Li
      5th of Mar, 2018

I think we should chat with client and aware him/her for illegal rates and regulations.
    Whenever you write email id for personal mail to client freelancer warn you and him/her to stay protected. So here is solution freelancer didnt deduct these words
    1)make a jpeg of email id and payment discussion
    2) put dot on every letter like( [protected]@gmail.com) t.h.e.d.e.s.i.g.n.e.r.z.(at) g.m.a.i.l.c.o.m
    So by these step you can get rid of illegal tax rate and for payment you can use other souces and skrill is best for that purpose