[Resolved] First National Bank / online internet fraud

Account Killer, South Africa
Phone: Account Killer

On Sunday the 22nd May 2011 my cellphone suddenly showed "Limited Services", however being at Church I thought it might be a problem with MTN and did not worry about it, however by Sunday evening my phone was still showing "Limited Services". I put my sim card in my wife's phone and it showed that there was a "sim" card problem, I decided to leave it till the Monday morning, until I opened my e-mails, and then I realised something was wrong as money was moving out of my account at a rapid speed. I immediately phoned my Private Banker whom in turn contacted FNB Fraud Division and my account was frozen, but too late, the thieves had already taken R 16, 000. DUE TO FNB FRAUD DIVISION TAKING THEIR TIME TO FREEZE MY ONLINE ACCOUNT ANOTHER R 11, 000 WAS TAKEN OUT OF MY MONEY MARKET ACCOUNT !!!)

FNB Fraud Division tracked the EFT Funds to Standard Bank and ABSA, I also have statements where the thieves paid R 1, 000 into a cell phone account.

FNB Fraud Division contacted me and forwarded forms I had to complete and open a theft case at SAPS, which I duly did and sent the Case Number and completed forms back to FNB Fraud Division, after that I received a letter from FNB confirming the case is being investigated and will take approximately 3 weeks. After 4 weeks I asked FNB for an update, only for FNB to tell me that I have to complete forms for MTN before MTN will supply information regarding the Sim Swap, I found this strange that only after I complained did FNB ask me to fill in forms for MTN, this suggests that FNB had not been working on this case, I warned FNB that I want my money back and will be approaching the Ombudsman. Suddenly I am advised by phone by FNB that my account was compromised and they will not be refunding my money and advised I should contact the Ombudsman if I want to take the case further...all this happened once I started sending e-mails demanding my money back, personally I think FNB took offense and made a decision that my account was compromised.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BANK ACCOUNTS AT STANDARD BANK AND ABSA WHERE THE FUNDS WERE SENT EFT ?……FIRST PHONE CALL FROM PAUL KYNAS—HE SAID THAT HE HAS TRACED WHERE THE MONEY WENT AND WAS IN DISCUSSION WITH STANDARD BANK AND ABSA. (WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONEY IN THESE ACCOUNTS)

ON THE 23 RD MAY 2011 WHEN I REPORTED SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY ON MY ACCOUNT DUE TO E-MAIL ALERTS – WHY WAS MY ACCOUNT NOT FROZEN IMMEDIATELY---I RECALL BEING AT FNB FEATHERBROOKE OBTAINING STATEMENTS WHEN THE LADY AT FNB SAID THEY HAVE JUST TAKEN R11, 000 FROM YOUR MONEY MARKET ACCOUNT, THIS WAS MORE THAN AN HOUR AFTER I REPORTED THE MATTER.

MTN – WHY ONLY WHEN I SEND E-MAILS TO PAUL KYNAS REQUESTING AN UPDATE DOES HE AFTER 5 WEEKS ASK ME TO COMPLETE FORMS TO OBTAIN INFORMATION FROM MTN FOR MY CELLPHONE, YET 2 DAYS LATER I AM INFORMED THAT FNB WILL NOT BE REFUNDING ME, BEARING IN MIND THAT THE MTN FORMS HAVE NOT REACHED MTN TO PROVIDE A HISTORY ON MY CELLPHONE FOR THE “SIM” SWAP.

AS THE FRAUDSTER TOOK MY OWN BENEFICIARIES TO EFT MONEY, THE FRAUDSTER ONLY CHANGED THE BANKING DETAILS, YET AT THE END ON MAY 2011 WHEN I HAD TO PAY MY ACCOUNTS FROM THE ATM DID I ACCIDENTLY SEND R 13, 900 TO THE ABSA ACCOUNT AS I DID NOT KNOW THE PERPRUATOR HAD ONLY CHANGED MY BENEFICARY BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS IN THIS CASE THAT OF MY WIFE, YET FNB COULD RETRIEVE THIS MONEY?

SAPS PHONING ME TO ADVISE THEY HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO APPREHEND ANY SUSPECTS IN MY CASE, AND SUGGESTED I CONTACT FNB TO CLEAR UP THE MATTER AS SAPS HONEYDEW IS CLOSING THE CASE FILE, IT IS EVIDENT FROM THIS THAT FNB AND THE SAPS DID NOT COMMUNICATE ON THIS CASE AT ALL, SO WHY DID PAUL KYNAS REQUEST ME TO OPEN A THEFT CASE IN THE FIRST INSTANCE.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CELLPHONE WHERE R 1, 000 WAS TRANSFERRED TO, WHY WAS NO TRACE PUT ON THIS NUMBER.

FINAL RESULT FROM FNB STATING THAT MY ACCOUNT WAS COMPROMISED DUE TO THE FACT THAT OTP’S WERE BEING SENT TO MY CELLPHONE NUMBER BEING 083.877.8850 IS AS WEAK AN ANSWER AS I HAVE EVER SEEN --- OBVIOUSLY THE OTP’S WERE GOING TO MY PHONE, HOWEVER I DID NOT KNOW THIS AS A “SIM” SWAP WAS FRAUDENTLY OBTAINED ON MY PHONE, THEREFORE THE OTP’S WERE GOING TO MY NUMBER BUT TO PERPRUATOIR’S PHONE

• Resolution statement