First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation / Dis-service and unfair bills

This is to inform your company that I was able to settle the dispute yesterday by contacting VP for Sales and Marketing.

I did not want to wait another day hoping for them to contact me. Besides, I wanted to talk to someone who would acknowledge their representative made a boo-boo. I was also tired of hearing their customer service specialists repeat over and over that once a technician has been dispatched and arrives at said address, we will be charged.

VP said to disregard the notice and apologised.

Note: forwarded message attached.

July 20, 2017 - Consumer Message:

Towards the end of May, I noticed water stains on the garage wall where my main circuit breaker is located. The stains surrounded the circuit breaker which concerned me but what puzzled me was that the wall was dry to the touch.

So I called First American and told the representative that answered my call the situation. The plumbing company called the next day and we set an appointment. When the plumber showed up at the appointed date and time, he looked at the wall, touched it and declared he could not do anything with it because it's dry! So he leaves but informs us that we will be billed anyway. I called First American right after that and told the representative (I think his name was Eric) what just happened emphasizing that I had informed the first representative (a female) that the wall was not wet. Eric told me that he cannot send another plumber until the report from the first one is received then they will be in touch.

In the same weekend, I take matters into my own hands and call a plumber directly who comes and looks at my wall, looks at the floor above that wall and ascertains that there doesn't seem to be a leak. Perhaps those are water stains from previous damage.

So more than a month goes by then I receive an invoice from First American for $50! I am in the middle of a dispute with this company because I did inform their representative from the very start that the wall was dry. They should have informed me that sending a plumber would be a waste of money since the plumber would not touch anything dry.

I have spoken to two customer representatives who say the same things over and over and that is, if they send a technician out, I must pay. They can't seem to understand that it's unfair to bill me when from the start, their representative should have informed me sending a plumber would be a dis-service because he would not do anything anyway.

Comments

• Dw
      3rd of Jun, 2008
    First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation - Unresponsive and do not repair issues
    Colorado
    homewarranty.firstam.com

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. We have had a home buyers warranty through this company for almost three years and it has been a nightmare. We have had multiple claims... one for our oven, and several plumbing issues. Each time they try to fix with bandied repairs to try to make them work until the warranty expires. They do not replace items when needed. This is a total scam.

We are now waiting at home for a plumber who was supposed to arrive between 8:00 am and 8:30am. It is 10:00 am. We called First American Home Buyers Corporation and are on hold with Bernice. Bernice has about the intelligence of a pin. We have asked repeatedly for a supervisor to no avail. Bernice keeps telling us that she needs to do research and we respond that we would like to talk to a supervisor. It is now 45 min since we first called.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

• Je
      21st of Jul, 2008

I Have had First American Home Warranty for several years, they used to be very good but the last 2 time I have used them, their service is terrible, The people they have used have been good, but First American is not doing their job. I called regarding my Washing Machine, Mechanic came out says not able to repair, I waited almost 2 weeks called First american to be told they were waiting for my approval and heard nothing after I told them to order the Washer they had for replacement. another week and half. Still heard nothing until I called and then said it was ordered gave me a order # and told to go on line for when it would arrive, however that told me nothing. as the Zip code didn't match or something. Still waiting to have my Washer replaced but get no response except to call and stay on hold forever. So I am getting very disgusted with them. I pay good money ea. year for the service and very seldom have to use it. I am ready to cancel them it would be cheaper if I Add up what I pay and what they do not a good deal.

18th of Jan, 2009
    First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation - POOR SERVICE
    Van Nuys
    Phone: 8009923400
    firstam.com

We have a home owner protection plan. On 1/7/09 we had our water heater tank burst. I placed a call to First American co. After explaining the situation and letting them know that in order to stop the flooding we had to shut off the water to the entire hose. The CSR said that he was going to submit an emergency claim and we would here back from them and a contractor within two hours and have this resolved within eight hours. Three hours later I did get a callback from a first American CSR who seamed surprised that we had not heard from a contractor. She said that she would place an additional call and would call me right back… The return call never happened. The next morning (aprox 5 am ET), I called first American to find the status of the “emergency claim” They had not gotten a hold of a contractor to come out. They had not bothered to call me to update or offer any alternatives. At approximately 9 am ET. I received a call from first American informing me that they have contacted a contractor and they would be contacting me. When the contractor contacted me they informed me that they would be at my home between 1 and 5 pm. To assess the problem. They then informed me that I would not be getting a water heater today and likely not until Monday (1/12/09) when I asked them why a plumbing co could not get a water heater for days when I could go to the home store and get one in minutes. The explained that after the assessment they need to get approval from first American and they said that First American supplies them with the water heaters and this can take several days. I called first American and was basically told the same thing.
    Well 5 o -clock came and went with no plumber. I called the plumber and got an after hours recording. I called first American and after a 28 minute hold I talked with a CSR that could not contact the contractor ether, and again had no alternative solution. At this point I was in panic mode We have small children in a house with no running water and no since of urgency from anybody at first American, or there approved contractors. I ended up going to the home store and having a replacement installed on my own.
    This company needs to take a serious look at there customer service, and its contractors.

• Jr
      28th of Jan, 2009
    First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation - Failure to pay what is owed
    firstam.com

First American HBPC is indeed a scam of a company. They invent this insurance and tell you how much you need it when buying a new home. It is not better than the extended service plans offered at Best Buy, etc.

They conveniently did not have any vendors in my area, so they made me find one and they said that they would reimburse me for the work. I followed their process and had the vendor contact them. They explained to the vendor what was covered and what to do. Apparently the vendor must not have called back to confirm the work (or so they say), so now they are telling me I did not follow their process and they will not reimburse me for what they owe. The work was covered by their plan, and they even said it is covered, but that I did not follow the "exact" process. I did what I was told to do...

I do not know there exact process, as I do not work there, but I did do what they said i needed to. Now, they are not paying. I did the work for them that they were suppose to do in finding a contractor, and now they will not pay me for the repairs that ARE covered by their contract.

What a ripoff.

• Ho
      29th of Jun, 2009
    First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation - doess not honor policy
    First American Home Buyers Protection corporation
    California

This company has one of the worse service I've ever experienced. The frustating part is that there isnt much the consumer can do. I filed a claim in April of this year (2017) to have an air conditioning unit replaced. The claim was approved after two contractors made their evaluation. Even by July the units has not been replaced. I've called about evey other day and waited on the average of 30 minutes to speaked to someone about the problem. I'm beginning to thin the delay is intentional. Is there a way to file a formal report against this company?

• Ly
      3rd of Jul, 2009
    First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation - Air Conditioner
    First American Home Buyers Protection
    Texas

My husband and I are paying for a home warranty service. We called because our air has gone out and we have triple digits heat. We were told that for some reason they can't find a technician to come out and work on our AC. My husband called different AC repair companies in which he was told they could have someone out at our house as soon as possible. Each time we called the warranty comapany they would only say dispatch is working on it. What we did find out is if they call someone on a holiday weekend, they would have to pay the technician twice as much. They have yet to call us back.

• Fe
      25th of Jul, 2009

Similar situation just happened tonight (Friday). Air Conditioning went out, temperature inside the house was close to 90F, I called First American and was told that a technician from a contractor named Quality could only come to my house 24 business hours (never heard this one before) which loosely translated to: nobody would come to see the problem before the end of the day Monday. I was obviously forced to call one of these 24 hours repair service and to pay a very high price. Summary: for you that is reading this, next time you want to waste $ 370.00 go ahead and buy Home Protection Insurance from First American. What a scam.

• Ki
      28th of Jul, 2009

My a/c has been out since 6/27/09 in Phoenix, AZ. First American is a nightmare to deal with! There is no sense of urgency, there is no customer service to speak of, I'm on hold for what feels like forever, they are unresponsive, the original contractor was unresponsive, and was at my home 4 times, swore he fixed the a/c every time and never did! it took four failed attempts and 4 weeks to get them to finally send a new contractor out, now i've been waiting 10 more days for a part!!!

and wanna hear the best part? that was all for my downstairs a/c unit and now the upstairs unit seems to be failing. i called that claim in and the automated system dispatched the original contractor! the one i complained about and told them never to send to my house again! now the new claim is sitting "in dispatch"!!!

I'm filing a complaint with the AZ Dept of Ins tomorrow. Not that I think it will do any good, but after 5 weeks of temps outside over 110 degrees, and inside over 90 degrees, I've had it!

25th of Aug, 2009

We have had no AC for 6 days now!! I live in FLORIDA!!! IT'S AUGUST!!!
    I hate this company.

25th of Aug, 2009

We have had no AC for 6 days now!! I live in FLORIDA!!! IT'S AUGUST!!!
    I hate this company.

25th of Aug, 2009

Our AC went out 8/19/09. The guy came and ordered a part. He returned Friday, and now he says the problem is in the attic. But it's 3pm and nothing will ship until Monday. My pregnant wife called to see if we can get another company to see if they have the part. They canceled the first part order and requested another company to come out. They cannot make it until today 6/25/09. After many calls later they gave us a reimbursement of 75$ to buy a window unit. You can only get things done with this company if you make 5 calls.

• Tu
      26th of Aug, 2009

I am suing them personnaly, without the cost of lawyer.

Call me and I will tell you how. Bruce, 423-838-2115

I am trying to get their TN Business License #.

Area manager is Maryanne Page, 1-800-698-0422- 7802, Cell 869-406-8273.

I will serve the subpeona to appear in court personnaly, and would be glad to serve theirs as well.

• Tu
      26th of Aug, 2009

I am suing them personnaly, without the cost of lawyer.

Call me and I will tell you how. Bruce, 423-838-2115

I am trying to get their TN Business License #.

Area manager is Maryanne Page, 1-800-698-0422- 7802, Cell 869-406-8273.

• Fi
      12th of Jan, 2010

I had a water leak and questioned them leaving water under my house but the contractor said he was not certified to extract the water and HBPC ignored me on my concern about the water as if I should just be grateful they got someone out on the weekend to take care of it. The contractor they sent did say he thought I didn't have anything to worry about and now 3 months later I have MOLD growing. It is in over 80% of the crawl space and now entering the house, I have an area even on the bottom of my couch where a hole was in the sub flooring from a cable wire and now I have realized the cable wire and the lamp wires have mold to, so it is spreading inside as well! I am staying sick and have been sick for a while, and now I know why, I spend most of my time in my home so I am just breathing this horrible toxin! I tried to tell them they were responsible but they say they are not because they don't have to get rid of the water, I would think that is part of the repair, so now I am thinking I need a lawyer. Anyone else have a clue what I can do, or maybe have a simular situation with some helpful advice??? I don't know where we will get the money to fix this, it is a very expensive process!!! I feel like pulling my hair out!

• Di
      21st of Feb, 2010
    First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation - Lack of service
    Texas

Service, Value, Integrity. That's what they claim on their website. We filed the first request for service in September, because the dishwasher was not working. It is now February, and the dishwasher has not been fixed. 4 months of attempts to get them to fix it. 4 months of handwashing when we have a dishwasher.

Service - no
    Value - no
    Integrity - disgusting

I wonder how many of their management would like to spend 4 months without a dishwasher. I should have spent the money for the useless warranty on a new dishwasher.

• 20
      26th of Feb, 2010

This company is totally trying to scam and lie to me about my a/c ducting problem. They sent a technician from a A/C - Heating company out twice in the last month and he assured me on his last visit that my exterior duct needed to be replaced. I had purchased additional coverage and that was covered under my warranty. Despite this -- and despite the technician taking photos to back up his findings, they now say the A/C - Heating company said that I had a roof leak and not a ducting leak. I pointed out that the technician was very clear that it was not a roof leak and we had discussed that possibility on both visits. But they would not relent and would not let me speak to the A/C - Heating company about it.

I have sent them a letter detailing everything and am currently awaiting their response. If I don't hear back within one business day, I will be turning it over to my lawyer. She has told me that she will go after them for not just the ducting problem but also any damage that future rainstorms cause to my new hardwood floors, drywall and ceilings -- both of which have been completely re-painted after an extensive interior renovation.

I'll keep you all posted.

• Cj
      20th of Aug, 2010

I received a letter from this company in June stating that I did not make a service payment. I then call and inform them that I did and provided them with the check number and the date of which the check was cleared. The company's representative researched and found that indeed the payment was made and the accusation made were not of my fault. A week later I received a letter stating that a payment was indeed made. Now here we are in August and I call, at midnight to have my air condition repaired. They inform me that they could not do anything because I have not made a service fee. I proceeded to inform the representative of my situation and the rep told me that she has no access to this information, therefor, there is nothing she can do. The rep also told me to call 6:00AM pacific time to their office and someone will be there to help me. So the next morning I call, again, to inform them of the same situation and once again they told me that they could not do anything because it is not their department who handles this kind of situation and to call back in couple of hours and explain my situation to another office. I am not happy that I have to try to get an issue resolve, from thae same office that put me in this situation not once, but twice. In the mean time, I have a broken and leaking airconditioner, through no fault of my own, is being penalize for the unprofessionalism of First American Home Buyers Protection Coorporation. It is 100 degrees outside and I'm getting the run around. After this issue is resolve, I am going to look for another company and would not recommend this company to anyone.