Firestone Complete Auto Care / Scam and cheating

United States Review updated:

I am pretty disappointed at the way Firestone Irving (5410 N Macarthur Blvd, Irving) tried to rip me. My old car was giving some noises when one turned the steering wheel especially in the mornings when the car has not run for a while. Firestone recommended that an immediate replacement of rack and pinion is needed - price quote $920 for parts and labor. When I checked the price of the part in Advance Auto Parts it was about $150 less than what Firestone quoted for the part.

I took the car to PepBoys Irving (opposite Irving Mall) the next day, they quoted almost $300 less than Firestone (parts+labor). When I asked if the fix is essential, they told it was "nice to have" since there is no hazard involved. They gave me a cheaper alternative of having $12 hydraulic liquid filled in. PepBoys is honest, trustworthy and a true friend. My total bill at PepBoys was $39 - no noise now.
Va

Comments

To
  12th of Nov, 2008
While your exp. at firestone was a bad one, the fact of the matter is that your "older car" will and does need to be repaired from time to time, see your owners manual. You are still driving around with your rack and pinion that even in your's and Pep boy's word's are "nice to have", it can fail without warning!!! whining when turning is an indication of a problem. While I agree with you about the price, firestone is in the business of repairing vechile's. Pep boy's is a part's store FIRST!!! and in the automotive repair second. That being said you should also ask yourself and others why they are closing over 50 of their stores. I'm sure that firestone marks up the price of parts from whereever they get them, but that's business...

Firestone Complete Auto Care Logo Firestone Complete Auto Care