FIA Card Services / late fee

1 MO, United States Review updated:

I was called a "valued" member for my Mastercard account (which I've had since 1988) by an FIA card services representative today. A cardholder for 20 years and one that pays off her balance every month should mean something shouldn't it? Not as valued as one might think though. When I spoke with an "account manager" as she called herself, she refused to credit my account for a late charge that was assessed because I failed to make my payment the business day before the due date. I paid my balance off on due date but it only posted the next business day so I was assessed a $39 late charge plus finance charges for a balance that was under $300. I felt like a child being lectured about how it was my responsibility to make the payment timely to ensure it posted on paydate and that if I would have called and paid $15 to initiate my payment over the phone rather than over the internet my payment would have been timely and the $15 fee vs the $39 late charge would have saved me money. I explained that my husband's father was just diagnosed with a terminal illness so things are in a bit of chaos right now and the response from the "account manager" was that everyone has things going on in their lives but they still have to make their payments timely. For a customer of 20 years I felt that I was treated very coldly and that FIA's "account managers" are not at all customer service oriented. I asked to speak with a manager but the "account manager" refused saying all managers were in meetings and she could handle my account. I asked for a manager several times and was finally told they would have one call me back within 48 hours. Rather than refunding the late charge she was willing to honor my alternative request to close my account - 20 years - means nothing.

Gv

Comments

6th of Aug, 2008

FIA is one of those outfits that sends out bills late and processes payments late in order to create situations whereby they can levy late fees and apply high interest charges. I had a $36K credit card with them that I just cancelled due to these tactics. The agent I spoke to seemed to be pleased to be losing my business (I have an excellent credit rating). I get the impression that these people are sunsetting their credit card business and are just gouging their remaining customers for whatever they can get. Anyone who has an FIA card should ditch it as soon as possible in my opinion.

8th of Sep, 2009

It's the third time fia card services has not sent me a bill and charged a late fee. they also cut my credit limit and raised interest. they said it was my duty to know that i owe them and pay them without a bill. this is the worst credit card company. I know they make a ton of money on late fees.