FastHosts.co.uk / Fasthosts steal money from your account!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I gave clear instructions to cancel my account three weeks before the end of an annual subscription. It was in plain English and I provided the security information they needed. They didn't cancel the account and they took the money for another year - and they won't give it back. I spoke with a supervisor - Matthew Hillyard - he told me he speaks to a lot of people who complain and that a goodwill gesture is rare. They won't refund my money.

What's happened in reality is that they've stolen money from my account and won't give it back. I think they're really stupid because people won't accept this type of treatment without complaint and I'll complain loud and clear about Fasthosts. People are put off when they read negative experiences.

Their exit policy is obstructive and they don't care if they take money that isn't there's to take. It's not the first time they've done this to me. It will be the last. Don't go with Fasthosts!

Comments

• Ro
      17th of Aug, 2009

I was commissioned to create a website earlier this year. My client had previously registered an account with Fasthosts in order to purchase a business hosting package. I deleted his account and merged his hosting package into my Fasthosts developer account where I take care of all my websites.

Later in the year, I purchased several domains and another hosting package for another project. The fees for these services were billed to my previous client in error. He opened a dispute and received his money back via chargeback.

The first I heard about all this was Friday. Fasthosts sent me a nasty email informing me that chargeback was unacceptable and that they had now suspended my control panel and my account was due for deletion in 48 hours, this despite my being a loyal customer for several years and despite having many other domains and hosting subscriptions open with them. I was also informed that a debt recovery process had now been enacted and that all my other websites would remain in their possession until they expire.

Hey Fasthosts, here's an idea, why not simply pick up the phone and politely inform me about what had happened instead?

In the last 48 hours all my emails, faxes and calls to their premium rate numbers have gone unreplied. I am unable to do anything.

Avoid this company like the plague. This is the last straw. The litany of past offences I have had to endure from them include unbelievably rude customer service replies, non existent replies if their untrained technicians do not know how to solve an issue, faltering hosting, and now this. You have been warned.

13th of Oct, 2009

I would like to report my experience which is less complex than yours but puts a fundamental question. Firstly, I must admit I am very new to the Web world. Moreover, I am not English and the language is also a barrier.
    I studied some offers on the internet and I must be honest and say that Fasthosts seems very attractive either economically and aesthetically (they have a very nice Web interface).
    The price list is not very easy to understand and one can find better ones under this point of view. However, I finally decided to subscribe a basic package.
    As soon as I entered the dashboard or control panel, I realized that the company is not serious. Here my considerations:
    1) mixed together, one can find various options to enable but there are some which are included in my purchase and others which are not: the worst is that when one click on the latter, he will be charged without any advice!
    2) to put a remedy to point no.1, I immediately looked for my VISA account details with the intention of deleting them: I couldn't! It is forbidden.

Why?
    The customer service answer is that their service is monthly and must access my VISA to get the money every month: wrong! In fact, I replied to the customer service that I had already paid for one year and I didn't want any automatic renewal.
    In conclusion, I bough something and I explicitly asked for a fixed package without extras or additional services but they can't delete my VISA details yet.
    I think that they rely much on the fact that inexperienced people like me trying to issue their first internet site, will wrongly push some risky button and be charged without even knowing it and NO REFUND IS APPLICABLE!!! They wrote to me: "If you purchase any additional add-ons via your control panel you will still be charged for them and the payments are non refundable."
    As I have seen you are all quite angry with these people, who can recommend me some consumers association (maybe one specialized in Web issues), where I can forward a copy of this complaint and ask for a check in safe of all who just want to enjoy a one-time Web experience without being bound to the hosting provider for life?
    Thanks for your attention.
    Robert

• Th
      24th of Feb, 2010

Hi,
    WELL, lets be honst - I've been with Fasthosts for like 2 years as of now and I have not seen or faced any of the single complaints you geeks have posted. Why don't you guys admit that Fasthosts is the best?

• Or
      25th of Feb, 2010

Same problems with Fasthosts for years now and we are a reseller spending over £10, 000 a year. This time we have issued a Small Claim in the courts to recover the money so at least somebody will have to come and waste their time and see what a judge says. Has anyone tried this before out of interest ?

• Mr
      18th of Jun, 2010

I have had the same problem. I used to have two account one of which I needed to be cancelled right away but they charged me. The next year the same. I think it took about three years for them to finally cancel and leave me with one account.

Along with this I moved around three years ago and they have failed to contact me as they had not updated contact details. This means that each yr my account expires causing me to pay the extra "administration" fee. Last yr I told them over the telephone they had the wrong details and to update it for me which they said they could do but obviously didn't because this yr I had the same problem.

I have now gone into my account and changed the contact details myself but now they won't reply to the emails I sent them. They managed to call me when I asked for a sales call but then gave me a different number which when rang just told me to dial another number which was something like 08492267933551883225500... ect ect. It just kept giving numbers to me. I don't know if this was a prank from fasthosts but if they don't sort this out and restore my account I will definatly go somewhere else to host my website. Any recommendations??

• Gr
      28th of Jun, 2010

Recently, my partner's primary domain name was due to renew, but her card had expired months earlier. Fasthosts suspended the domain, and the first we knew about this was that her website - her main source of business - was no longer available.
    Of course, she phoned them and (eventually) got through to someone who said that reminders were sent to the domain e-mail address - which had been suspended! The domain was snapped up by some company in the States and now half her clients have been re-routed to a competitor.

Even more recently, I've decided to cancel my account due to the random 30% increase in fees and was told (over two weeks later) that I can't cancel the account until December. I don't even know where this random month came from, since I started the account in August of 2005.

DO NOT USE FASTHOSTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!

20th of Apr, 2011

I had the same identical problem of credit card unwanted payments !!! They said I had a free one month after which, upon my confirmation, they would have billed me £56.75pm. Then my credit card showed a monthly bill of £73.19! Pissed off and unhappy with Fasthosts Servers and the fact that I couldn't implement several basic HMTL modules on my website, I rang (having to pay premium fee) their allegeded 24/7 customer service 4 days before the end of the FAKE one month free trial. In two days I couldn't get through and after several minutes on the phone and at least 20£ spent in phonecalls I sent them several emails. They replied as if I was their worst enemy. They said they couldn't stop the credit card payment (that had already gone through for the 1st month free trial) and there was nothing they could do to prevent being billed £878.28 (£73.19 pm) instead of the £681 they claimed it would have costed if I had opet to renew the subscription after the one month free trial. (It's as if you call me and my radio or TV is loud, and you say to me.. can you pls switch it off as I can't hear you well.. and I reply.. sorry I can't as it is switched on). I sent them a letter. Nothing. I kept being billed for another 2 months. In the meantime I had to spend more money to send a recorded mail to my credit card company to ask them to cancel the payment, which in turn, simply sent a letter to Fasthosts to request the payment cancellation. To cut a long story short I had to pretend I lost the credit card with my Bank and cancel the credit card as well to avoid being billed on a new one. Apparently Fasthosts also sends a final £23 bill to whoever cancel (and rightly so) their credit card. I have spoken to several web developers, web designers, small and medium sized companies, start up enterpreneurs and whoever make the mistake of using Fasthosts has regretted it big time. I kept fortunately my cost, my loss and my stolen money low: £73.19 x 3 months + circa £25 in phonecalls + circa £10 in recorded mail = total £255. Much higher than that is the loss of several hours of my life which I could have spent more productively instead of dealing with their ### and the totally unecessary stress caused.
    I think that this Company (that spend 600, 000£ on a single night out social event) is the biggest fraud in this Country and its directors shoudl be jailed. Moreover, an indipendent body should retrieve all the emails sent from customers that wanted to cancel their hostings service and force fasthosts to issue refund payments, possibly (hopefully) forcing them into liquidation.
    If the money was not enough, then the Directors and their personal assets, houses, cars, pants and socks, should be sold to raise the money stolen to all its upset customers. I just wish that God is looking at these CRIMINALS and that they will pay in MEDICINES all the money that they have DELIBERATELY stolen to far too many people. This ### goes on from too many years and these ### are getting away with it... but the day will come.. that all the responsible ones will pay for it... it's just a matter of when.. not if...

• Fa
      21st of Apr, 2011

Fasthosts is committed to Customer Satisfaction. I t is many years since these complaints were issued, and processes have changed significantly in that time. All customers now receive pro-active notifications of annual billings 30 days before they are charged to accounts. We also now have a customer care and complaints team who focus solely on ensuring experience like those described here are dealt with in the appropriate professional manner. If you would like to get in contact with Fasthosts please contact us on our local rate number 0844 583 0777.

• Ap
      21st of Apr, 2011

they are right!

23rd of Apr, 2011

I STRONGLY suggest EVERYONE takes a look at these other hosting reviews websites re FASTHOSTS:

• Fa
      24th of Apr, 2011

Thanks for posting these review sites, its always good to get feedback good and bad so we can improve in the future. We've listened and acted on a lot of the issues described on these sites, if you want to see what we've done please visit our blog http://blogs.fasthosts.co.uk/2011/04/customer-service-improvements

25th of Apr, 2011

Utter ### / OPEN your eyes people and DO NOT TRUST COWBOYS FASTHOSTS!

Follow @FasthostsShit on Twitter and read all his Tweets, Retweets and related links. Plenty of comments from unhappy, rippedoff and pissed off customers that had a CRAP service and their credit debit/credit card debited after they attempted to cancel the 1 year renewal TRAP. PLENTY OF EVIDENCE THAT CONTRADICTS FASTHOSTS UTTER PILE OF ###!

SPREAD THE WORD - AVOID FASTHOSTS !

10th of May, 2011

I am having exactly the same problems as commented on above. Fasthosts taking money from your account unauthorised and billing for services already cancelled.

Their site is confusing to use and in 15 years of using web hosting services I have never come across anything with such poor customer service and what in my view amounts to illegal trading.

23rd of May, 2011

Fashosts has done similair to me.

Everything they do is designed to take your money as fast and for as long as they can, then to ignore you for as long as possible before telling you it isn't their problem, your money is now their money and they want to charge you more for the honour.

They took my money, told me I hadn't paid them anything and failed to provide the service paid for, failed to acknowledge the error and stalled for as long as they could. Still no resolution months after the fact.

Tradings standards and the police are your best bet if you fell in with this lot without realising what was in store.
    Consumer direct can offer you advice on your specific case.

(If they contact you more than once and you find it a genuine harrasment, for something that is either made up by them or they handle it. outside of tradings standards regulations you can file harasment charges, I recomend this to you all in hopes that we can do something about this dusgusting operation.)

24th of Jun, 2011

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE !!! I closed my account with them in 2009 towards the end of 2010 they were still continuing taking money from my account - so cancel again, only to find they had re-opened it again three months later! i email [email protected] and to give him credit he did call me back within five mins and did re-issue me a refund after i demanded this account to be closed under the Data Protection Act and informed them all copies of emails would be used in evidence against the company when instructing my bank to go-ahead with fraud procedure. If you sadly do get caught up in this company do not bother to call and waste your money - i suggest an email to the above every 30 mins until you hear back - or instrust your bank of a fraud case.

22nd of Nov, 2016

Nothing has been done about these people. We renewed a domain name through them - nothing else. Months later we've discovered they've been taking hundreds out of the company accounts for an imaginary hosting packages - complete with numerous bells and whistles nobody had ever even discussed with them. Pure fraud and in-your-face criminality. DO NOT USE FASTHOSTS FOR ANYTHING. Why can't the police act?