FastHosts.co.uk / Fasthosts steal money from your account!

United Kingdom Review updated:
I gave clear instructions to cancel my account three weeks before the end of an annual subscription. It was in plain English and I provided the security information they needed. They didn't cancel the account and they took the money for another year - and they won't give it back. I spoke with a supervisor - Matthew Hillyard - he told me he speaks to a lot of people who complain and that a goodwill gesture is rare. They won't refund my money.

What's happened in reality is that they've stolen money from my account and won't give it back. I think they're really stupid because people won't accept this type of treatment without complaint and I'll complain loud and clear about Fasthosts. People are put off when they read negative experiences.

Their exit policy is obstructive and they don't care if they take money that isn't there's to take. It's not the first time they've done this to me. It will be the last. Don't go with Fasthosts!

A  8th of Jun, 2007 by
I had the exact same problem with my Credit Card and FastHosts. They kept billing my card for months after the account was canceled and then refused to issue a refund. They're excuse was that the services had been used, which they were not as I had transferred to a different host.

It's now two years on and I am still receiving emails from their Accounts Department demanding payment of thousands of pounds sterling for an account that was terminated by phone, fax, letter and email in 2005.

And I had to cancel the Credit Card I had used with FastHosts in order to stop them charging to it.

They are ###.
A  29th of Jun, 2007 by
Same happened to me, DONT USE FASTHOSTS!!!
A  20th of Aug, 2007 by
After having my wallet stolen, my card details on the fasthosts website were not up to date. Not realizing my hosting account was due, fasthosts tried to bill my card, then when it failed, charged me £23 'debt recovery fee'. After many emails trying to cancel my account or get a refund for this fee, fasthosts were simply not interested and refused to give me a refund. This was for a product that I was paying 12 months in advance for, hadn't yet received and no longer wanted. They didn't care - I had to pay with no refund. They gave me 3 months free to keep me happy. They also claim they sent emails reminding me about my card - none of which I received, but they didn't believe me.

Then again, a few months later I saw that 2 of my domains had been automatically renewed - payment taken straight from my card. I didn't want these renewed without prior notification and again they said emails had been sent - they hadn't. They also won't refund the payments even though it was taken 30 days before the domain expires.

Be careful with your domains and account renewals. Fasthosts automatically take payment Unless you opt out. And they charge you a fee if your cards are out of date. And they don't send reminder emails! And they don't give refunds once paid!

Needless to say I won't Ever, Ever go near fasthosts again and will advise everyone not to go near them with a barge pole.
A  11th of Dec, 2007 by
I have been locked out of my fasthosts account for 2 weeks, i was locked out whilst making changes and have some horrific typos on my website. Customer support is engaged and Tech sup doesn't even exist. Dam... i have various sites with them. The moment i get my details back i am going to another provider. Any suggestions...
A  13th of Dec, 2007 by
Since the whole hacking situation I've had endless problems mainly due to not being able to access my account. I have sent in about 5 emails all trying to obtain my username and password and they palm me off with a email that doesnt answer my query. I felt like it was a template sent to many users rather than an indivdual reply.
A  6th of Jan, 2008 by
Fasthosts have gone from bad to worse. Check out http://fasthostshell.blogspot.com/
A  7th of Feb, 2008 by

Fasthosts have just pulled the same trick with me. I cancelled my account before xmas and they've just billed me £400 for another year.
They say the account was never closed! even though I moved everything off there and requested closure by email and telephone.

Fasthosts are a rip-off company
N  3rd of Mar, 2008 by

Fasthosts WebHosting - Invalid charges!
United Kingdom

I read the complaints about FASTHOSTS web hosting services too late to prevent what I consider fraudulent charges to be taken from my credit card. The service is terrible. They take subscription payments and fail to record on your account. Onlyafter proof-of-payment, and considerable effort and expense on phone, do they activate the account.

Then, they take late payment charges - due to their screw up. Back to the start of the process.

I had to cancel my credit card to stop further payments.
A  21st of Mar, 2008 by
FastHosts are really terrible, in amost every way and care little for their customers or how they treat them. They costs us double thier fee, in damage to our business and reputation, due to their bad server performance. We are a long suffering reseller, with so many sites, that it would take too much work to leave them. We are trapped. Never use them.
A  13th of May, 2008 by
Like others I am having problems getting money back.
I was told that my card details were out of date so I paid with a new card only to find that they had claimed the same amount from my bank account in France directly.
Fasthosts claim it isn't them but it is on the due day, for the same amount, in Euros and with their reference.
They still deny it?
Hasanyone been to the small claims court?
A  16th of Jul, 2008 by
I am absolutely disgusted by the treatment I have recieved so far. They have taken the money automatically from an account I no longer use and am now having to pay interest on. They are refusing point blank to give me a refund. I am following the complaints escalations procedure as outlined on their website but have just recieved the same jobswerth response from Matt Hillyard saying to read the terms and conditions.

I will be taking this to Otelo.
A  31st of Jul, 2008 by
The question is why can you automatically upgrade on their site, and yet you can't downgrade; you first have to mail customer support and then call 01452 561858 to cancel your account, even though you no longer have any access to it!

It really sounds like they are trying to stop a breach just because people can't be bothered to be kept on hold for 10 minutes (cos guaranteed that's the cancel my subscription phone number...)
A  6th of Oct, 2008 by
Fasthosts are absolute ###. I signed up for a year but got a call last week telling me that I owed them 51.00 + 27.00 late payment charge because my account had been automaticly renewed. Because my card was out of date it obviously didnt go through (even though I only signed up for a year) so that is why the charge was issued.
I agreed to pay as this was the second call presuring me to pay and asked to cancel all subscriptions, the women told me she couldnt do this and would send me information in an email how to unsubscribe. It never arrived!!!
Now im being sent round in circles trying to unsubscribe.
Avoid fasthosts like the plague.
A  17th of Oct, 2008 by
Basically these people are thiefs and committing fraud, They have no authorisation to steal money from my account, fail to cancel, fail to notify on renewal due dates with sufficient time to decline and couldn't run a bath, let alone a business. What they are doing is unlwaful in English Law.
I'm taking my complaint forwards to the DTI and I WILL be getting my monies back, for a poxy service not yet received paid 12 months in advance, for something I do not even want.
A  1st of Nov, 2008 by
Streamline.net, fasthosts.co.uk and Ralph Dummermuth of United Internet AG

I had my bank account wrongfully debited by a webhosting company, streamline.net, that refused to cancel a three-month trial period then sneakily took a one-year premium hosting package cost from my account - I tried to indict for contravention of the Theft Act, but the Chief Constable of the area of the offence passed it to a subordinate who in turn passed it on to the Derbyshire Trading Standards Office and my money was bounced back into my account - it is illegal, a criminal offence punishable by up to 10 years in prison to wrongfully or deceitfully debit an account (and using steamroller pressure can be termed a form of deceit if use of the law to becomes forcefully intimidatory is unfounded: it is also illegal to use the law in pursuance of an offence, and the law comes down on this like a ton of bricks.

I now know that streamline.net were sellers-on of the talents of fasthosts.co.uk who bought streamline.net's customer base last May/June. I now know that fasthosts.co.uk sold out to United Internet AG for 90 million euros (£61mill) in 1999, or more to the point, sold out to Ralph Dummermuth, the German internet billionare who founded '1 und1' and who is the main shareholder of the owning company United Internet Ag.

Today I sent emails to the board members of fasthosts.co.uk, Andrew Michael CEO (the founder), Michael Hogan Finance Director, Mark Cowne Sales & Marketing Director, Steve Holford Press, and Billing, and Support, informing them of my intention to apply for their indictment and the indictment of the actual instigators, for theft if they do not return money continually taken from my bank after I had cancelled my Distance Selling contract with them due to their poor support. Google the Distance Selling statute and you will see just how the steamroller these companies use is a cover, a camouflage for their ignoring the demands made on them by the Distance Selling statute and just how they have drifted into dangerous ground given the Theft Act - google this as well!

I also sent a copy of the email to rdummermuth@united-internet.de nlang@united-internet.de kdobitsch@united-internet.de mscheeren@united-internet.de (the board) mschap@united-internet.de info@united-internet.de presse@united-internet.de investor-relations@united-internet.de hostmaster@united-internet.de .

The greater the number of the more detailed type of emails the board and their minions receive from disgruntled customers that suffer because of the 'robust' methods for making a billion or two he seems to have exported into the UK the US and not forgetting the poor sods in Germany who my research tells me have had it harder for a lot longer, the more Herr Dummermuth might come to realise the role that good old honest customer relations might play in him keeping a euro or two.

What say you?
A  5th of Nov, 2008 by
I would like to add my voice to this forum, I am having the same problem with Fasthosts and it has gotten worse since united internet got involved.
If anyone has postal addresses for the board members I'd love to have them as they will be my first port of call before I speak to Ofcom
N  18th of Feb, 2009 by
I totally agree, I had an issue were someone had infringed our copyright by illegally copying our home page to try and get our company to get penalised by google for duplicate content.
I spoke to fasthosts who told me to email in and it would be investigated in 10 working days. Their service is appalling, so I handed the matter to my solicitor who issued them with a Cease & Disist order.
A  12th of Jun, 2009 by
I add myself to this long list of outraged trial users. Surely this practice is in bad faith and contravenes UK law? Is there a relevant ombudsman or governing body who will take this issue up? I am not in a position to commence court proceedings but feel very strongly that this practice MUST be challenged.
A  4th of Aug, 2009 by
I just found out that my "monthly" hosting deal with Fasthosts was actually an 18month contract!!! It was way down - really way down - in the small print (accessed by the terms and conditions link). How very deceptive! No mention at all was made up-front of a long term contract. Surely a vital piece of information for a purchaser!!!

Very, very disappointing behaviour. I've spoken to Customer Relations and they simply repeated the line "You ticked to agree the terms and conditions"

Fashosts - be very careful before you buy anything !!
A  4th of Aug, 2009 by
This company is the very epitome of bad faith practice. In my opinion they are in the business of thinly veiled deception. The relevant overseeing body/ombudsman should examine their practice and put an end to it. Customer service is non existant. As Julian has stated, they have no desire to operate in good faith. It took me several weeks and many communications with the customer service department before they would provide me with a postal address. Be aware that the terms and conditions compel you to advise them, in writing, of your cancellation. Failing this, you can expect to have even more of your money taken from your account. I emplore those of you with a complaint about their practice to take the time to complain in writing.