Expedia.com / misrepresentation of flight change fees... or incompetent agent quoting laughable flight change fees

1 United States

I had to call expedia client service line to change my flight date. The agent quoted me USD 3000, yes three thousand dollar to change a flight date - I travel coach btw. After I explained that the advertised change fees are only USD 120 plus whatever the difference in price of the ticket class if no seats are available in the same class, he explained how he calculated the above figure. The agent checked the residual value of the return portion (that's the one I am changing), and subtracted that from the cost of a one way ticket to my destination. I asked to speak to his superior, her name was francis, she checked a few things and came back with the same quotation. What's even more sad is that I mentioned to both that I had checked with the airliner, and I was quoted a total of USD240 (which includes the 120 change penalty), just the day before and the only reason I didn't make the change is looking for a lower penalty/change fees where I originally purchased my ticket. It was a waste trying to explain. I hung up, called the airliner, made the change for only USD240.

Sh