Expedia / worst of all, very rude customer service people!

I have recently booked a vacation with expedia. Ca to disney world, figuring that I got a good deal and how hard could it be? Boy was I wrong!! There have been nothing but miscommunication, delayed responses and worst of all very rude customer service people. I have been treated and spoken to by a "customer service person" like I did not have any comprehension of the english language and helping me was a waste of her time. I have lodged an e-mail complaint and have spoken to a manager, only to hear nothing... Not even a sorry.

I have been told different things about my package, i. E... Yes, I have the park passes included, no, you do not. And when you e-mail then about a problem do not be in a hurry to hear back from them if you ever do. It is not that I am a picky person, nor do I need to be coddled, but I don't wish for anything to go wrong with my $4,000.00, week vacation either.

So my advice, be very cautious when booking with expedia... I will never do it again.

Karen.

Comments

• Le
      14th of Jul, 2007

WE were told our two young daughters would get free park passes and they didn't - we were totally out of pocket and my pensioner dad had to wire us the extra money several phone calls to expedia from Paris and we were even more out of pocket. Still waiting for the problem to be resolved... Somehow I get the impression Expedia don't care...

• St
      25th of Jul, 2007

Hello,

I do not expect a company of your size to do much about this and will probably be lost in the mix, but I needed to get this off my chest for my own well being. Last night, (July 24/07) at 7:55pm I called Expedia.ca to book a trip for my family of 5 that I had found on your website. This was a trip to Barcelo Maya Caribe and represented about a $6000.00 purchase on my behalf. To start, when I called I was instantly put on hold and told that my business was very important and that I would be serviced by the next available rep. Then I was forced to listen to classical music. This would not have been too bad, but I had to listen to this for 1 hour and 7 minutes. (I have a timer on my phone)Finaly, a lady answered the phone, unfortunately I did not get her name. I started to book the trip through her when she stopped me and asked if she could put me on hold for a minute. I said "I guess so..." She left me on hold for 12 minutes. She returned and apologised for the delay, (Maybe she went for a smoke break???)I was frustrated at this time, but still very cordial with the lady, we again started to book my trip. She then asked if she could put me on hold for another time. I told her that I wanted to get this done. She apologised and said that she would just be a second. She placed me on hold... and then hung up on me. Needless to say I was very upset at this time. I immediately called "sell-off vacation dot com and was treated with a sense of urgency, with respect and my complete trip was booked in a very timely fashion. I actually saved $1.25 per ticket by going with them.
    Again, I'm sure you have more important things to do than to respond to me, but I had to let someone know that I was extremely discouraged at the treatment I received from what I though was a reputable company.

Thanks,
    Steve Bunyon

• Ca
      11th of Aug, 2007

I have been trying for days to contact someone at Expedia.ca. Their toll-free number is a joke. I've hung up twice now in frustration, once after 30 minutes waiting, the other after 50 minutes. I might have waited longer, but after the first time of someone saying "your call is important to us, blah blah" you never hear anything again except classical music making you wonder if you really are on hold or not.

I've been hung up on repeatedly by their crappy automatic system, been told they're closed (site says 24 hour service) and been told by the same terrible quality voice message that they're "experiencing a large volume of calls" even when I called at 4am!

Their website says they'll contact you via email within 24 hours, but that's an absolute lie. Expedia.ca is the worst I have ever experienced and will tell everyone I can about this over and over.

Stay far away from this joke of a business.

25th of Aug, 2007

I agree with you people 100%. Expedia.ca is terrible, and they don't give a s**t about their customers. I am presently employed by them for customer service. Initially, they weren't bad to work for, but they seem to get worse by the day. Don't ever book anything with them unless you plan on losing time/money. We are trained to lie,cheat and steal from customers. What makes it even worse is that there is only 2 call centres, both of which are massively under staffed. Both call centres are 3rd party, meaning Expedia is just a "client". Management doesn't give a s**t, and good luck if you need to speak with a supervisor. They will do everything in their power to avoid getting on a phone and do something for someone. Expedia actually rewards management for saving our company money, or "cheating" customer out of money. Can we say free vacations for the best scam artist managers? I sure can.

So next time you speak with a customer service agent, try not to be mad with us. For the wages were paid and how were treated, it's no wonder were so understaffed! To put it quite simply, 75% of people employed quit within the month!

Bottom line: Avoid expedia.ca, com or any of its partner sites. Go with travelocity or itravel.

• Wi
      21st of Oct, 2017

@Anonymous This explains a lot. I have been using Expedia for years without any issues but this year things have totally changed. I can go into detail from my personal experiences with Expedia but will just be wasted time.
    In short I will never use Expedia again and suggest to everyone i know and chat about travelling and holidays not to use them.

• Je
      7th of Aug, 2018

@Willem2 I will never use them again either. I hope their days are limited because it seems like their management is turning off a lot of people.

• La
      13th of Sep, 2007
    Expedia.ca - Poor service!
    Canada

HI, I have a credit to use, and they tell me I have to speak to someone in their departments in order to use it. In the last 3 days I have been on hold a total of 7 hours and 16 minutes, accumulative. The longest I was on hold was 3 1/2 hours then my battery ran out. I need to book a flight, but can not till I get hold of them.

Can somebody advise me what should i do...

• Ha
      13th of Sep, 2007

I have been on the phone with expedia for more than 10 hours in the last two days and I can never get through to the credit department. They Xfered me over and over but there was no one to help with the credit usage. I think this is their way of swindling money.

• Br
      13th of Sep, 2007

Same thing for me. I have been trying for a week, and have not been able to get through to them.

• Ya
      15th of Sep, 2007

The Expedia Company from Canada has the worse customer service from all online travel agencies that are there. We needed to wait two (2) hours for a representative to answer the phone plus he/she will transfer the call to another department because he/she doesn’t know how to help us. The simple problem we had was to schedule our flight to one day earlier.

I used to order all of my business trips from them (over $10,000 a year) but no more business for them for good.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM IT'S A WASTE FOR TIME AND MONEY!!

23rd of Sep, 2007

Same thing here. Have been trying for days to get thru to customer service, but nothing! Have been on hold for hours and hours and hours. FRUSTRATING!

• Mi
      25th of Sep, 2007

I am currently facing the "call-waiting" issue with Expedia.ca.
    Lesson learnt: Never again purchase travel tickets from them!

Below is the link to file a formal complaint with your respective provinces.

• Lu
      27th of Sep, 2007

Expedia has cost me way more than just booking myself through an airline the traditional route. I tried purchasing a flight and changing it. I was on hold from 10 pm till 12pm and was unable to get through. I needed to travel the next day so i purchased another flight thinking that I would be able to change flights and then get credit on the second flight. I decided I would talk to them no matter what. I called, put the phone on speaker and then finally got ahold of them after 2.5 hours. What a waste of time. I was told that I could change the flight and be charged or use the travel credit. I decided to use the travel credit. Then they didn't have "access" to the flight I wanted to I hung up in frustration. That led to me waiting for another 3 hours to get ahold of them again! I guess if you are looking for cheap flights and cheap service and like gettting ripped off this would be the way to go.
    I will never use them again!

• Ta
      2nd of Oct, 2007

I am very disappointed and frustrated. I was trying to book a vacation, when I pressed finish-button, I got a message that price is changed. I looked at changes , and I was satisfied with the amount. I pressed second time, and I got a message asking to try another credit card. I called VISA to ask what happened, and I was responded that I had a payment made to Expedia (it was different amount, not a cost of my trip). They suggested to me to call Expedia to find out. Has anybody been on hold for 3hours and 45minutes? I was untill phone battery ran out. Can somebody give me any advice what to do....

• Sr
      9th of Oct, 2007

I had the same problem. I had a travel credit that I wanted to use but it was going to expire. I tried for 4 days to contact Expedia.ca at all hours, giving up each time after hours on hold. Expedia.ca never picked up the phone so I emailed them and waited, but no response - even though they promised 24 hour response.

So I contacted Air Canada (they pick up their phones) with the ticket number provided in the travel credit and they applied it towards a new airline ticket. They had no service charge as Expedia.ca did and the best part Expedia makes no money on the transaction.

Oh yeah, they did reply by email 2 weeks later with an idiotic canned response asking me to call their "24 hour customer service people, who are always available to help".

Ridiculous and embarassing. This company needs to go out of business.

• Ka
      12th of Oct, 2007

How could I not agree? Over the last two days I've spent 6 hours of my life on hold with Expedia.ca. I haven't even spoken to a live person who can remotely help me and all I want to do is cancel a ticket due to a death in the family.

I finally had to call the airline directly. They're willing to change my ticket for me, but would rather I try to resolve it through Expedia so I don't get charged a service fee by the airline. The airline representative I spoke with was horrified at how long I'd been on hold. (I was still on hold while I spoke with him.)

I work for a financial services company with a very large call center. We have service level standards that the phone be answered in a number of seconds or less. Seconds. Not minutes. Not HOURS.

I will never book my travel through them or their American counterparts again. I will tell everyone I know to avoid them.

• Gr
      16th of Oct, 2007

Update: Oct 16, needed to cancel flights booked on Expedia due to sudden family illness. On hold for 2 1/2 hours, started to read complaints... called airline directly, and received assistance within minutes.

Have placed 'expedia' on 'suspension' with respect to our travel needs, and will not book through the service again without testing their customer service line first.

• Br
      18th of Oct, 2007

Had flights for 3 people from Burlington Vermont stop in N.Y then from New York to Atlanta then on to Tucson. Flight from Burlington Vermont to New York alright. Arrived in New York no tickets available for other flights to Tucson. Could not get in touch with Expedia.ca two flights left in between while trying to reach them. Had no choice to book other flight which cost
    $300.00 each and which arrived 81/2 hours later then
    we were to originally arrive in Tucson.

Car that Expedia.Ca booked for us with Dollar rent a car had drop off in Albuquerque called to say we would be arriving late in Tucson informed by Dollar that there was no drop-off in Albuquerque. Arrived in Tucson had to run from dealer to dealer looking for a company with drop off in Albuquereque. No rental cars available had to accept a jeep which cost $600.00 more than originally quoted.

As result of trouble going to Tucson tickets were cancelled for return flights back to Burlington. Tried for 2 days at all hours of day and night to contact Expedia.ca no success. Finally Expedia .Com got in touch with Expedia.Ca. Was on phone from 10:15p.m. to after midnight to get return flights fixed.

Called twice before returning home airlines confirmed everything OK.

Day of departure from Albuquerque went to United Airlines as was told by Expedia.Ca no tickets. Then told to go to Southwest,
    they had no tickets, and no flights to Atlanta and then on to Burlington. Finally went to Delta, and met competent ticket agent who said she would fix it so we could get home.

Sent fax with all these details to Expedia with request for refund now one week later have not heard from them.

Can never get in touch with Expedia.Ca and will NEVER book with them again. EVER. VERY VERY DIAPPOINTED IN THEIR SERVICE.

• Bi
      18th of Oct, 2007

We booked through Expedia Canada for an up coming return flight from Victoria to San Juan for a cruise in 2008 . What a horrendous mistake.

A change in one international airport only gave us a half hour to switch from a local to an international flight, collect our baggage and go through customs. We had to contact the airline directly to re-book, Expedia did not notify us of a problem, we just happened to notice. The next change in itinerary would leave us stranded partway back and a loss of our non-refundable tickets. Expedia said too bad, it was not their problem.

Thank god for reputable airline service people. After many calls and e-mails to Expedia, only to get rude people and too bad so sad responses, on our third try to one of the airlines involved with our air package, one of the airline reservation agents set up a conference call with agents from all the 4 airlines involved with our trip and solved our problems, one of the airlines stepped up to the plate and offered an overnight stay at their expense in order to get us to our destination. They also said that Expedia should have made that request on our behalf.

• La
      25th of Oct, 2007

I write this as I am on my third hour on hold with Expedia - 3 hours and still waiting with no indication as to how many more hours I might be facing.. Apparently the airline cancelled one of my flight legs and now I have to call Expedia to rebook the flight. Absolutely unacceptable to be unable to service customers - how can they expect repeat customers?? My only other option is to go directly to the airline and try to work it out with them I guess. Lesson learned!

• Fr
      5th of Nov, 2007

I will never book thru Expedia.ca and I will tell everyone I know not to book thru them either.

I was inform a flight change but have to be put on hold for fours and then the line drop on Saturday, called back again and they said nothing they can do. So I try again today and I am on hold for the third hour still counting. How can they charge $9 per person for the service charge and no service provide.

• Da
      18th of Nov, 2007

I work at one of the three, soon to be two call centers that receives all the calls regarding Expedia.ca. They are in Kitchener, Scarborough and Ottawa. The Ottawa location has a handful of people that take calls to clear up any credits received before August, 2007. The location in Kitchener is where most of the calls are taken and about 90% of the calls are because customers want to make changes and have been notified that their schedule has changed and need to confirm their flight again. As a result, all of those calls are directed to the "flight change" department. That department consists of about 15 people and hold times in the afternoon start at two and a half hours and by midnight can be as high as six hours. By midnight, only three people are taking calls from fifty or so people and each of those calls takes between twenty and thirty minutes. Some nights, no one wants to work past 11PM and as a result the flight change department is doing "system upgrades." Why can't the company hire more people in their flight change department? Because the system used to communicate with airlines is command line driven. Not everyone is computer savvy, and those who are, will not work for $10.50 per hour.

The best thing you can do is not make any voluntary changes to your flight. If the airline forces something, than wait within a day or two of departure and call the airline or have Expedia call the airline on your behalf and make them do the change. Expedia might refuse so they don't lose any money on giving you up to the airline before your flight departs.

Good luck.