ECPI College of Technology / Rip off!

Newport News, VT, United States Review updated:
3.4
ECPI was a complete rip off. I went to ECPI with the hopes of pursuing a career in criminal justice. My teachers were great, I learned a lot from them. However the Administration was very lacking. They say you can complete their courses in less than two years, and that is true if the class is offered. I had 5 or 6 classes left and some of them kept getting canceled. Because of this my graduation date kept changing. The told us the reason the class was canceled was due to a lack of students. I spoke with several students who were also set to take that class. There was around 10 of us signed up for the class. I had taken classes with as little a 4 students in it, so for them to say it was canceled due to a lack of students is a lie. So not only did they lie to us but the blamed it on us as well. Needless to say I did not get to complete my course at ECPI. It was a waste of my time and money. I would never never recommend ECPI to any one.
Er

Comments

Er
  5th of Feb, 2008
Sorry. It was in Newport News, "Virginia" not Vermont.
Je
  17th of Feb, 2008
I went to ECPI's Norfolk Campus and was on the Dean's List my entire stay. I had no issues with ECPI and I now make $95K a year.
Ec
  26th of Feb, 2008
I agree ECPI was a TOTAL WASTE of my time and money! 90% of the teachers were great, but the other 10% did NOT know what they were teaching! There were times my classes got cancelled and did NOT get reimbursed for the class I paid for and a lot of the times, my classes ended early, still did not get what i paid for! The scheduling was VERY POOR! Classes were scheduled out of order - now that was ridiculous b/c it made me lost as I was in the Programming/Web Develoopment Program. How can you learn Advanced Programming if you didn't take the prerequisite courses? The Administration Office was VERY RUDE and unprofessional! The financial aid was incompetent of doing their job! I graduated with honors, but I would have like to have gone somewhere else like University of Phoenix, a more accredited and popular school, but did not know about it until it was too late, where I was already half way through with ECPI. Everyone I know that's gone to ECPI regrets going there. My sister graduated with me, but she ended up going back to school to University of Phoenix and still paying the ECPI loan! What a waste! Were all still paying for something that was NOT as promising as it sounded! No one's heard of ECPI outside of VA/Carolina, but everyone's heard of University of Phoenix - where the Superbowl 2007 was - UOP Stadium. Go to a real school, do NOT waste your time on ECPI. Don't be fooled like many others were, then get stuck with a HUGE bill that leads you no where! I studied on my own and had taken classes elsewhere and I am where I am today withOUT ECPI's help and now stuck with an unnecessary bill! Be SMART, do your research, then decide where to go!
Je
  17th of Apr, 2008
I disagree. My stay at the Norfolk campus started with the most basic courses. Math, English comp, psychology, web design, etc. I started with the most basic classes. As far as scheduling, my classes were never canceled, except on 9-11. and my schedule was very regular... the same every day. My teachers were outstanding. If I did not understand something, I could stay after class for one on one time with the instructor. They even pushed me into studying for my certifications to be a role model for other students.

As far as University of Phoenix, my sister went there and that school I call the joke. In fact, they spam me every day. I will not support any school that sends out straight out spam. Just search them on google.

But as far as ECPI, I payed my tuition and did my work. Now I own my own web development company that is very successful.
Ri
  23rd of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
This school is the biggest waste of money. I went for over a year andnot only acrued a mountain of debt, I was not taught the necessary skills to break into the workforce in that field.If any of you have ever been to a real school, then you know you get the check after the classes are paid for to buy books, supplies, etc, and then the remainder is yours. At ECPI they keep the entire check and charge you monthly for books. That entire check is more than a real university charges for the most part and the professors are just that, not cheap, worthless street walkers brought in to teach a class. What a bunch of ### that school is.
Li
  18th of May, 2008
please file your complaints with the BBB - (better business bureau), and possibly the Attorney Generals Office.
My daughter is considering going to this school, I found it suspect the idea of a Bachelors in 2 1/2 years, now I'm even more concerned.
In
  17th of Jul, 2008
I agree, ECPI in Columbia, SC was the biggest waste of time. I went into the medical assisting program. I was told that it was better due to it adds in the administrative part also, so you can work anywhere in the medical office. I thought ok. 5wk classes, alot to study and its ok. First when I came in our class was huge my first three classes had around 30 people. It was hard and they said the most was around 14. Then I had a few teachers that were IT trying to teach pharmacology and other medical classes. Say we had alot of study groups. Also either classes were scheduled way out of order or where some terms you either only had one class or none. There were some great teachers but some that could care less if you were in the room. They just sat at the computer and did there thing but gave you some work. I finished finally all my work but no job, not ready for the test, I looked at the review tests for the certification test and I was not taught half. There might be some good campuses but Columbia SUCKS!!! Dont waste the money on the medical there, no equipment, no hands on, nothing... You only get help here if they like you.
Sa
  19th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am enrolled to start the PN program at MCI through ECPI in Sept. I couldn't be more pleased with the admission's process as well as the financial aid assistance I was given. I literally went to interview and tour the campus on a Saturday and was accepted with financial aid award letter in hand on Wednesday afternoon! They are VERY flexible with class schedules - I work 40 hours a week and am a single mother so need to take night/weekend classes. The program is very fast - 14 months! The school came HIGHLY recommended to me and so far, I see why. Now - as for my "attitude" towards the complaint, I'm neutral, it wouldn't be fair of me to rank agree or disagree solely on the admissions process, but with that said, anyone interested in the programs offered, check 'em out! I completely understand that this is just a forum of sorts to vent, but this site came up early on in searches for ECPI info and I don't want someone to miss out on an opportunity because of several negative experiences...not to take that away from anyone - I'm sure you're upset or you wouldn't have posted! Just want it known that so far - I couldn't be more SURE that I have made the right decision for me and I know they're are more of us out there. And for the "debt" aspect - sure - you're going to college...everyone knows that that typically comes at a high price and in all honesty, when I saw that my program would be 29K for 14 months - my heart skipped a beat - or two - but I kept the process going, applied for aid and once I graduate, I'll only actaully have to repay just under 10K - for a diploma in nursing. They even pay for my NCLEX exam. There is a LOAD of assistance out there - your's for the taking, if you do your research!
Ga
  25th of Jul, 2008
I have been in the technology business for 23 years. I had decided to go back to school to finish my degree. Bachelors thenon to masters. I have been in ECPI the past year and a half and am thoroughly satisfied with the curriculum. I do see some students come and go, and you know what their complaint is? "Why do I have to take this class? This class isn't doing anything for me!" I suspect many complaints will be from such persons. College is NOT k-12. You will not be hand held through the process. YOU must go and learn for yourself. That is part of the preparation for joining the REAL world. The college insrtructor is there to go over the highlights and assist in explaining some things you many not know. AND, not everything is covered because they don't have time. This is true with ANY college (Paul Horowitz, electronics professor at *Harvard*, has cut out much of his curriculum due to the huge amount of technology out there since the 80's). That is why book stores were invented (learning should never stop). As for administrators, I am not aware of any foul play or incompetence among the ones I am familiar with. Maybe sometimes something slips through the cracks, but not often. But hey, if you expect perfection, then stay home. The real world is full of errors. We need to learn to deal with them too. Overall, my experience at ECPI has been very good. As long as they are accredited to award me a bachelors, it is up to ME to do with it what I must to succeed. I hate to sound arrogant, but, stop whining!
Ji
  13th of Aug, 2008
In this day and age, you must be wary of posts praising a subjuect when the obvious flame is valid. I am a student @ ECPI and I can tell you these crooks are exactly what they are called, CROOKS, using legality to weasel their way through conflicts. I find it necessary to call out the ARBITRATION CLAUSE in the contracts that to an unknowing "student" will suck you in to a hell worse than this life itself (look around tyranny is rampant nowadays and the f*kkers get away with it everyday now).
With that said, ECPI IS THE WORST EXCUSE OF AN EDUCATIONAL FACILITY WITH SNAKES IN THE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS TO INSURE YOUR A$$ IS DOLLARS FASTER THEN YOU CAN SAY IMPEACH THE ENTIRE ADMINISTRATION!!!

Blame??? ARE YU READY?

BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU -> YEAH, RIIIIGHT

ACCREDITION COMMITEE -> HOW MUCH $$$???

EDUCATIONAL BOARD -> ya, we know, nobody told you... : (

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!!!

DEBT SLAVERY -> I BLAME YOU OLDER GENERATION TO BE TOO STUPID OR LAZY OR CONCEITED TO BE HUMAN

HEALTHCARE FOR SENIORS??? HA!!! WE'LL SEE
Jo
  18th of Aug, 2008
For all you guys complaining...what is the ripoff exactly? This school is accredited by the Southern Region, which is the most important accreditation.

Now, you want to know what a ripoff school is...it's somewhere like ITT, where I graduated from. Worthless credits...you can't take them anywhere.

You might not like the teaching or whatever, but I don't see this as a ripoff. Are the credits good? Did anyone have trouble transferring them?
Ec
  23rd of Aug, 2008
Ecpi is a ripoff!I have had the a least one of the same teachers every term. Apresident whos attitude is awful and he is not helpful because we never see the man!!! The teachers are great and they do there job. But the school itself is not the best. It just need some minor adjustments and I think things would be good.
Ja
  24th of Aug, 2008
I went to ECPI and graduated 8 years ago with a degree in CIS/Networking. During my time at ECPI I often wondered why I didn't seem to be learning anything that would help me in the job market. I constantly told teachers and administration of my fears. When I graduated with a GPA of almost four I couldn't even get a job at a call center for Gateway. I couldn't answer their questions when interviewed. I was lucky enough to get a job with a very shady contractor which led to three other jobs in the Cellular Phone industry. Now 7 years later I am out of work. The only jobs I am qualified for are Call Center jobs. Nothing but listining to screaming customers 8-10 hours a day and the pay a whopping $25k and I am still paying on my student loan. I could not get any job in the IT field I am not qualified at all. And I would embarass myself trying to field their questions on the interview. So its back to being a Waiter for me. At least I will know what I am talking about. ECPI is a joke. Don't go there.
Mr
  18th of Sep, 2008
1. ECPI offered college assistance. They do not just hand you a job. You have to earn it and have a good GPA. I and the other top 10 percentile of my class had no issues getting jobs and 6 of us were offered jobs on graduation day.

2. I have developed over 1500 websites for companies since I graduated from ECPI. They give oyu the knowledge and the base experience. That is all any school can do. Sounds to me that there are a lot of complaints from people who dropped out for either lack of will to obtain federal grants what-nots. That and people who thought that the school is supposed to hand you a job. This is reality and in reality, jobs come with hard work, persistance, good grades, and a little "right place at the right time".

3. ECPI, during the 2 day introduction, informs you that you will probably start your job int he HELP DESK. That is called Entry Level. Very seldom do new college grads get anything better than entry level simply because to teach all that one must know for a job, the school would have to be 10 years long. Instead, you go to school and get a base education with basic hands on experience.

4. One thing I note the most is that the teachers pushed me hard to get my certifications along with my degree. Best thing that ever happened to me.

5. I remember the students that constantly talked and itnerupted class...IN COLLEGE OF ALL PLACES, and I finally stoood up int he middle of class and told them to STFU because I am paying a lot of money and I want to hear the teacher. I bet those types of students are the Whinos crying scam here.

6. If it is a scam, then why is my company, Innovative Technologies (ITNashville.Com) so successful? I started the company based on my ECPI education. I alone gross $80, 000 yearly thanks to a thorough and very high quality education by ECPI College of Technology (Norfolk Campus).

7. I also remember having trouble in algebra. My teacher stayed with me after class until I understood what I was doing 100%. One day it took 3 hours. Now it pisses me off that you little whinos say these lies about a school that did so much for me!

HARD WORK + STUDYING + WILL TO UNDERSTAND + DRIVE = A GOOD JOB

That is what you people lack.
Sh
  23rd of Aug, 2017
@Mr. Di Legge Anyone can build a website... you're just creative and ecpi capitalized off your ambition. Lol!
Mr
  18th of Sep, 2008
My mistake I said in #1:

" ECPI offered college assistance"

I meant

" ECPI offered job placement assistance"

which means they teach you how to do interviews, search for work, etc. NOT that they GIVE you a job. But your generation loves having everything handed to them on a slver platter.
Ju
  7th of Oct, 2008
I was told when I went to talk to an advisor that credits could not be transfer to another school. That worries me because I would like to persue my bachelors one day. On the other hand, they have flexible hours and I can work while taking classes. Still if I decide to get my bachelors I will have to start all over because they dont offer it at the Raleigh campus. Also, the price is just to much. Like the person above said when you get financial aid you are suppose to get money back after books and tuition. Not at ECPI. My cousin went there for Networking and she FINISHED TOP OF HER CLASS AND COULD NOT FIND A JOB. Its not because she didnt make good grades, its because ECPI is not a state accredited school. Thats why they can charge you a arm and leg. Im not going there. IT IS A RIP OFF!!!
Jo
  27th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Although the education received at ECPI is not equal to that of a university, I cannot say that it is a scam. I attended ECPI in Charlotte, NC for Medical Imaging Equipment Technology. I finished and was hired by the first company that interviewed me. I earned $55K my first year out of school, and $65K my second year. Before attending ECPI, I was earning a whopping $18K a year. I would much rather make $5K per month and pay 400 out on student loans, then to make 1500 per month with no debt.
Ru
  17th of Nov, 2008
ECPI is a huge waste of money. They will tell you anything you want to hear to get you to start classes. Once you start and they know you are on the hook for the tuition, that is when I feel they really dont care. Faculty was a revolving door and the administrative people were some of the rudest, downright ignorant people I have ever dealt with. I can only speak on behalf of the Charlotte campus. Please do your homework and search other colleges before signing on the dotted line at ECPI Charlotte. No school is perfect, but that place was awful.
Ke
  12th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I would have to say that any school you are attending or plan on attending your success is based on what you put in. I believe in the real world is where you really learn. ECPI can't guarentee you a job but ECPI will teach you the basics and fundamental to help you get your foot in the door any degree is good. ECPI is a technical school and provides real hands on learning. I currently attend ECPI manassas campus and I have no complaints. The financial aide department to the instructors in the classrooms are all very helpful. ECPI College of Technology is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT), and the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia (SCHEV). ECPI College of Technology is also accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award Bachelor of Science, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees. If you really have a complaint report it to BBB.org. ECPI is also a member of the Better Business Bureau here's the link http://search.bbb.org/Results.aspx?n=ecpi+college+of+technology&add=&c=&st=&z=
Tr
  9th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Just starting in G-boro North Carolina, will let you know whats up and direct fact play by play soon.Its my 31000 I am forking out anyway... right?

Cross your fingers ...

Advisor this term...

G. Frick 7802 Airport Center drive Greensboro...

ECPI University Logo ECPI University