Direct Energy / fraud and cheating!

Toronto, OH, United States Review updated:
3.45
It was one of those 'bad luck' situations when the weather was -20 and my furnace was out for lunch when i HAD to get a company to come in and fix it, not just for the sake of me and my wife but for our 6 month old little girl. I decided to go with the well known energy empire (still wondering how we let it happen) Direct Energy, to my surprise the company is not more than a greased up business that sucks people dry, using deals and promoting meaningless incentives just like a pizza chain.

After 2 days i managed to have someone come in no earlier than 12:00 at night, as i wasn't lucky enough the guy barely spoke english, my system that had a rather complicated issue became something that Energy Direct (the pros of house heating and cooling services) wouldn't even look at, why? good question, a different answer each time the guy had to defend his employer: "Energy Direct only covers a small portion of the system", "We would help you only if you sign to agree on paying us over a course of 2 years and you'll be totally covered", "I have no time", "I'll call and get someone that deals with the entire system but you'll get charged more", "not my department".

After an hour of not doing nothing, the gentleman that came in to 'FIX MY SYSTEM' turned a valve that was the main water valve telling me that it should be off (after 1 day the system almost burned?!!)

Angry, having my wife and baby staying at her parents, freezing and lonely i decided not to pay the guy and called his boss that not for a second stopped defending his employee, "The guy was there you must pay", as much as it was freezing in my house that night, that MANAGER heart was even cooler. (He was lucky that we weren't in the same room i can tell you that).

Sure enough i got a nice bill on the mail ($600 including $200 gas bill :S ), i called a friend that sent 2 young "PROS" that figured out that it was the pump?!! As simple as that. water didn't pump well into the system causing serious damage, it was fixed at no time and not for more than $300 including a $200 pump???

Happy but angry as hell at Direct Energy i decided to write and at least warn other people, you are covered with stupid deals but once you need those guys to actually work they are not professional, STAY AWAY!

And to answer my first question, how is it an empire? do the math, $400 for not doing ANYTHING??! compared to $100 for the 2 guys i hired that fixed the whole system (think about it for a sec.)

Sincerely yours,
Adam.

Comments

Ad
  30th of Jan, 2008
I'm from TORONTO Canada by the way not the US...
Aj
  4th of Mar, 2008
One big fraud company of Canada is Direct Energy. I had a heating protection plan and paid them premiums over the last 5 years without the need of any repair. Last month when there was a need for them they came and said services are not covered! started charging hell of money for minor repair. 150$ for 5 min job (no parts required). In the name of public safety this company is cheating people. Surprisingly their bill comes jointly with Enbridge bill and I felt it must be a genuine company. Now if I try to end the contract with Direct Energy, they won't let me end it until end of 2008.

How Government of Canada/Ontario allows such companies to exist in Canada and cheat on people??
Lo
  22nd of Jun, 2008
my freind commited suicde because of direct energys constant
harassment.
Co
  8th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Direct Energy is worthless. I signed up for one of their "great" service contracts for three years. In other words, for three years, I paid more for my gas and electricity than my neighbours. When my contract was up I decided to go with another company. In the time between my contract ending and the new company taking over, my account was renewed with another subsidiary of Direct Energy. I was charged another hookup fee for this service. When asked why I was charged when I was already with this company, I was told that when I signed up the company in Ontario charged a hookup fee and it could not be refunded. Great service indeed.

Do not use Direct Energy. They like to price gouge.

I am now using Enmax based in Calgary. The prices are much more reasonable.

Colby from Calgary, Alberta
Fo
  11th of Jun, 2009
I do not know what type of agreement you have but I have used Direct Energy for three + years and their rates are always been lower than my local company plus the fact I can understand there customer service. You must have been scammed or slammed by a "look alike company". I investigated them with my local BBB and they were clean!!! James in Ohio
Ko
  24th of Jun, 2009
Direct Energy is the vermin of the energy world. Over the winter in Calgary, a senior actually froze to death in his home as D.E refused to negotiate a payment plan that he could afford. They're disgusting and you know who we have to thank for our energy fiasco, the useless Alberta Conservatives. Yeah, they've done nothing for this province except rape us of all we once had.
Dg
  5th of Jul, 2009
“Hi - as with the previous posts here about gas and electricity contracts, I'll refer you to my colleague, Lynzey Macrae, who works with that side of the business: Hi. My name is Lynzey and I work at Direct Energy. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to the high level of customer service we strive to provide. Please feel free to contact me directly if you still have outstanding questions or concerns related to your account. lynzey.macrae@directenergy.com.”
Te
  21st of Aug, 2009
I would like to detail the horrible experience I am having dealing with Direct Energy. I sold my home and vacated the home on 4/30/09. On April 20, 2009 I called to schedule a MVO. The MVO was never processed. I callled several times after continuing to receive bills. Many times I was given the runaround, attitude, and many times there is no record of me calling. I was offered no help, was treated poorly, and the lack of respect by Direct Energy representatives has been appauling.

I finally filed a complaint with the BBB on 6/20/09. As a result of the complaint. Direct Energy found that I should not have been billed past 4/30/09, as a new resident was occupying my home. My account was closed, and my balance made zero. In fact, I was issued a credit for 21.60.

Well, after thinking this ordeal was finally solved, I was once again charged by Direct Energy on my credit card for 162.52 on 8/4/09. I called Direct Energy immediately, and of course they have no record of my BBB claim, no record of my account being closed and set to zero. I have re-opened my complaint with the BBB. I also notified my credit card of fraudulent charges to my card by Direct Energy. I have also filed a complaint with the Texa s Utilities Commission.

I want this issue resolved, my account closed, and a refund of 162.52 placed on my card immediately.
Id
  21st of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i scheduled my last payment due 07/20 (switched service provider) to DE online around 07/10 using CITI virtual credit number, same CC number was used and charged immediately to TWC. I did not know same CITI virtual CC number could not be used twice! lesson learned.

So i got this letter on 07/30 from DE saying their transaction got rejected and asking for money, i immediately contact both CITI and DE and made payment over the phone, charged also for convenient fee. fine! then on 08/05 i received the letter from AlliedInterstate, the debt collector, for the same money! Alliedinterstate told me that DE reported this debt on 07/06, the date the bill was just generated!!! way beyond the due date on 07/22!!! Isn't this common sense that service provider send letter again for money, maybe impose some penalty, if no payment was received in 30 days, then do something else??? WTF!!!

I gave AlliedInterstate my payment confirmation number from my 07/30 payment, the ### named Alijah sat the finding and did nothing!!! Which led to another letter from AlliedInterstate asking for money again on 08/20.

Now they are contacting DE to verify my payment, hopefully this would be solved soon.

A bunch of ###s from DE and i will never use DE AGAIN!!!
Sk
  15th of Sep, 2009
Just got off th horn with an agent for customer sservice(Direct Energy). They said because my account it due to expire(signed-up with someone else) they could not tell me what my $/kWh was to warrant the 440.00USD electric bill. It is August/September so I can see 300.00USD bill but $440? Come on! That's almost what I pay for a mortgage payment. I rode it out 2 months past my 1-year deal and I get $Raped$ both months! from 185/215 a month to 440? I'm keeping a closer watch on all my business deals from now on!

Houston
Ld
  4th of Feb, 2010
Direct Energy sucks - do not deal with them...I am paying double per cubic meter then what my local gas provider would charge...when I called to speak to someone about lowering my charge they said I could not, only if I lock in for an additional 5 years. In order to get out of my contract I have to pay just shy of $200.00. At this time its worth it to pay the $200.00 because I am paying an extra $100.00/month right now with Direct Energy's prices.

I will never sign up with them again and will tell everyone I know!
Me
  11th of Mar, 2010
STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT ENERGY!

me
Bl
  15th of Mar, 2010
My husband and I have a business account with Direct Energy. We moved from one location to another location and were told that we would not be charged an early termination fee because this was just a transfer of location and we were still customers with them. I received my first bill after the move with an early termination fee of $200. I called customer service and was transferred to 2 departments before a so called "manager" said that this would be corrected. I demanded a second bill be printed with the corrections before I make a payment. It has been over a week now, and I just received another bill, the same exact copy with the $200 early termination fee as before. I am about to call them again tomorrow. I will NOT do business again with them after my contract ends. This is ridiculous. DE is the worst electric company that I have ever had to deal with! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! If you live in Texas, there are plenty of other electric companies available.
Ni
  19th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I can't take it anymore! I want them to stop! I have three signs on my door. No trespassing, Beware of dog, and no, they aren't friendly. The last guy that showed up from direct almost got bit trying to act like the dog whisperer or something. I also have a no soliciting sign on my door but they swear they aren't and that's why they're allowed to knock on my door and nearly eight at night. Anyone, in my eyes that shows up that darn late (My day starts at four in the morning so to me it's late!), is up to no good.
Please how do I make them stop? I tried copying the scam page to tape on my door, to let them know I'm onto them, but the copier is not cooperating. Next time I'm calling the police.
I just don't know what else to do. I've tried calling the company and of course they totally defend their "employees".
I'm off to warn the neighbors.
Nicole
De
  4th of Aug, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Nicole_1972, you are spot on about how Direct Energy "employees" disreguard posted signage. They also obviously don't know and don't provide a customer list of who is already in their customer base.

Just today, a Direct Energy representative showed up at my door disreguarding my posted Private Property, No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs posted at the start of my driveway.

He admitted he's a marketer working for an outside firm hired by Direct Energy to canvas a target area after I informed him I am already a customer waitng until December to go back to my previous natural gas supplier. Before leaving he attempted to get me to re-sign another year contract "so there won't be an overlap in service savings". I laughed, shut the door in his face and have gone on with my day.

I won't be as nice to the next unsolicited marketer who shows up from that company.
Co
  21st of Jan, 2011
DIRECT ENERGY SUCKS...EVERYTHING IN IT SUCKS EVEN THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE! THEY WILL SUCK OUT YOUR MONEY SO BEWARE
Pj
  5th of May, 2011
Someone from DE wanted to sign me and I said I wanted to check on-line for complaints etc, before doing so. Despite those above, I think it is remarkably FEW for such a large business with so many customers over so many years. I also asked neighbors who have said they are pleased with the savings and have not had customer service complaints, so...going to sign up today
Er
  11th of May, 2011
Direct Energy IS NOT A SCAM!! I have saved a lot of money since i have switched over to Direct Energy. Everyone that thinks they are a scam obviously didnt listen to the sales rep while he was explaining it all. I know from personal experience Direct Energy saves money and that is the way life is now, everyone needs to save a little money. Maybe your just not understanding how your bill looks and its confusing to you, but it is cheaper!
An
  9th of Jul, 2011
I have been scammed by Direct energy in February this year. We have bought our home less than 2yrs ago and we were paying our bills with Enbridge on a regular basis. All of a sudden in February, 2011 a salesperson from Direct energy came to my door to offer a heating plan for $15 a month with a free furnace inspection. I told I will take the free furnace inspection but I am not signing any contracts for a plan, unless something is wrong with my furnace. He agreed and setup an appointment the following week to have a inspector come in and give us a free assessment. The technician told us that our furnace was good and left within fifteen minutes. One month goes by, and we receive a bill from enbridge with a Direct energy charge of $29.99 and a water heater bill of $35.95. Kind of funny since I bought my water heater and never signed any contract or plan. Now its been 5months later, and I have never been able to resolve this problem, to the point that they have threatened to take me to collections if I dont pay the bill. I spoke to enbridge supervisors and direct energy supervisors and they told me they would resolve the problem and they never had, and each time I call, the extension number they give me doesnt work or doesnt exist. They will not send me any proof of contract, and now I have a bill outstanding of $526.54, after Ive been paying only the enbridge gas portion. The bills are so confusing, as an accountant, I can’t even make sense of any of it.
Does anyone know who I should call, or would I need a lawyer in this case?
Bi
  18th of Jul, 2011
So happy that i googled direct energy scam rip off and sure enough my best resource the Complaints board came through ! I figured that thier service would be sub par with my local electric company PECO ! SO even tho my new bill was way higher than what i'm supposed to pay on the Customer Asst. Program CAP rate for short i'm sticking with the big guy thats been here from the start !

Direct Energy Logo Direct Energy