Dependable Locks Inc. / Unethical business practice!

1 Kansas City, MO, United States Review updated:

My girlfriend and I went to home show just off of downtown Kansas City. When getting out of the car, I made the mistake of locking my keys in the car. We are from a different part of the metro, so I didn't know any tow truck companies or lock smiths in the area. So I simply called 411 and had them contact me with a random lock smith co that was nearby.

They put me in touch with Dependable Locks Inc (based out of Bronx NY... 295 W 231st Bronx NY 10463) They don't seem to have a Kansas City address, when I reverse search their number, I get a number of listings for lock smith companies with different names. The following is the first:
1 24 Hour St Louis A Emerg A Locksmith
street address not available
Kansas City, MO 64106
[protected]

Anyways, about my story. I explained to the lady over the phone that I had a 2017 Ford Focus and my situation. She took down my info and said she would send someone out. I then asked her how much it would be and she clearly told me "$39 service charge plus $15 for unlocking". $54 didn't seem so bad and it was cold out, so I decided to go ahead with the service just to get into my car as quickly as possible. She said it would be 20-30 minutes, a full hour later a locksmith showed up.

He then asked for my ID and registration. I told him I had my ID, but my registration was in the car. He said fine, he'll get that later. As I was digging my wallet for my ID, he put a piece of paper under my nose and asked me to sign it. I asked what it was and he said "the work I will be doing". I glanced over, and it said "Waiver of 3 day", had my name, "service call" "unlock" and some numbers that didn't mean anything to me. So I signed it figuring it was code for the work he would perform. At the bottom is says "I expressly acknowledge and waive the right to cancel the sale within 3 business days"

He then stuck my ID in his pocket (he told me he'd keep it until he saw my registration..just seems like a clever excuse to hold onto something of mine). He then spent literally 1 minute unlocking my car. After I opened the door, I showed him the paperwork he needed and he told me he'd be back with my bill.

He returned a few minutes later with a bill for $145.40. I was shocked, I told him there most be some sort of mistake. He said nope, "thats what this job costs". I then told me I was quoted around 55 dollars over the phone. He told I was incorrect that the charge is $39 and *"15 dollars and up"* for unlocking. I told him the lady never mentioned the "and up" part.

I also told him I don't see how $15 dollars can become $96 when it don't take him my job any longer then one if he had to slim jim an 76 Buick. He just told me that is how it was.

We went around and around for several minutes before he told me "Why did you sign the paper if you don't want to pay $145". I asked him what paper and he told me the first paper I signed agreed to that price. I told him nothing on the paper states anything about price. He then pointed to the number 96 (no dollar signs or anything that says price around it) and told me that is the price we agreed on.

I was shocked, this paper is nothing like any other bill, estimate or work order I had ever seen. And nothing on it says I agree to a price. I called the company back and spoke to the same lady as before. She said she didn't take my call and said she had no idea why I would think the price is $15... She said it starts at $15 and goes up. I called her on her lie and she just ignored me insisting I spoke to someone different.

We argued for a long time and finally I paid by credit card (he called it in, I wasn't allowed to myself).

Finally after I paid I asked the guy why didn't the lady just give an accurate quote over the phone. He told me she didn't know what he was unlocking. I pointed out that I clearly told her it was an 07 Focus. He then said, she would have no idea about the price. I explained to him that she should have a general idea of a price and should have been able to tell me something roughly in the ball park.

Do I have any recourse. I'm sure I was scammed. I reported it to the BBB. Is there any way to get my money back? Has anyone had a similar problem? I probably shouldn't have paid him. But like I said, it was cold and I couldn't stand being outside in some parking lot much longer.

Comments

• Su
      31st of Jul, 2007
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Poor service and overcharge!

I locked myself out of my house on July 28, 2017 and called the Dependable Locks Inc. in Cincinnati because it promises 15 min fast response in their Yellow Pages ad. I made four more calls due to no response. And it took 70 min for them to come to my house. I was charged $139 ($39 for show up and $100 for unlock the door). And I have noticed that they have charged only $55 (2/11/07) and $84(6/6/07) for the same service based on the response posted on Dependable Locks Inc. San Jose web site. I do think I was being overcharged for the poor service.

• Pa
      15th of Oct, 2007
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Deceitful billing/overpricing

I called Dependable Locks on October 13th after discovering I had been locked out of my house. The operator told me I would have to pay a $39.00 service call and a $15.00 fee for picking my lock. I was told that the cost would be no more than $55.00. Once the tech finished, he gave me a bill of $149.00. I asked him why it was so much more than I was quoted and he said I had "good locks". I paid the money, but called customer service on Monday. They fussed and argued with me, even admitting that I might have been told that but I was not overcharged because $149.00 was the cost of the service. The lady I spoke with specifically told me the price I would pay would be no more than $55.00. This company is definitely guilty of deceitful practices and downright theft! I want my $94.00 back!

• Mi
      13th of Nov, 2007
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Overcharge for unlocking a vehicle

This company charged $120 to open the door of my 98 dodge ram, as well as a $39 service fee!!
    I ALMOST could have swallowed this pill if the person could have spoken clear English, would have shown up on time, dressed in a company uniform or at least in a company vehicle AND opened my door like a trained professional. Unfortunately I have done this once before and watched the previous locksmith open my door in under 5 seconds flat. This guy screwed around for 10 minutes before using three different pieces of equipment to get in. Nevermind the fact that he showed up in what appeared to be a personal vehicle in jeans and a tee-shirt. Had I not known any better, it looked like I called my buddy Bob to stop by and lend me a hand.

10th of Dec, 2007

there is a 39 dollar service fee for the MOBILE technician to come out to the location; and an additional fee of 15 dollars and UP depending on the difficulty of the lock out. that equals only 54 dollars; which is the MINIMUM. clearly stated to me during my conversation with the dispatch operator. that is what i was told, you obviously are mistaken, because the similarities are to close. It seems to me, that was the excuse you came up with to complain. Instead of being grateful to be let into your home. and the time frame quoted is 20-30 mins that the tech will be at location. oooooh, it was 45 mins. Aren't we human. god forbid there was traffic, or maybe difficulty finding the location. Get a life and find a real reason to WHINE.

10th of Dec, 2007

again, 39 service fee, and 15 dollars and up depending on the difficulty of the lock out. and UP, means just that. AND UP

10th of Dec, 2007

some technicians are independant, contracted through the company. this is 2017, who says a LOCKSMITH, needs to be in uniform. for what??? i bet you haven't told anyone how you signed the waiver consenting to pay amount given you? or did you NOT read the waiver, like everyone else. Only to blame your sillyness on someone else.

3rd of Mar, 2008
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Overcharged 3 hr. wait!
    295 w. 231st
    Bronx
    New York
    Phone: 973-669-9520

Like the other complaints against this company. I locked myself out of my house called them on a local NJ number. They refused to give me a price but when I pressed said it is $35 service fee and from $15 depending on what they do. They promised me he would be there in 30 minutes. After 45 minutes he told me he was in Elizabeth and would be there in 30 minutes. In 30 minutes he called and told me his technician had held him but that he was on 280 (10 minutes away). He got there 45 minutes later (lied again). Charge me $35 for service call and $150 for picking a five cylinder lock. I objected and he gave me the senior citizen discount to $125.

• Am
      19th of Mar, 2008

This is exactly what happen to me, but in my case the amount was verbally quoted at 39 for the call out and 10 for unlocking the door. When he gave me the bill, the 10 suddenly became 110. I have multiple phone numbers and the address for them. I will post these tomorrow night. I even have the extension for the guy who did the work, which must be patched through their central office. It sounds like the same guy!

THis just happened today to me and my minivan. My baby and I were both sick at Olathe Medical Center, and as we were leaving the key was locked inside. I felt intimidated and forced into paying the full amount. I will be pursuing retribution now that I know this scam has happened to someone else in the exact same way.

• Me
      8th of May, 2008

Same thing happened when they unlocked my apartment last night... 2 tools and 3 minutes later that "$15 dollar minimum" turned into $86.00. I called the customer service line and she said there was nothing I could do cuz I signed the paper. She said it depends on what kind of a lock it is as to what the price is and he hadn't even looked at the lock or opened his tool bag before he wrote 86 (again without dollar signs, just numbers) on the paper.

• Me
      8th of May, 2008

Kim do you work for this company? it's an obvious ripoff if you had been serviced by them you would feel the same way... get a [censored]in conscience.

8th of May, 2008

I just got ripped off by these guys gettin into my car... if you tell them what kind of car it is, there is only once lock for it they should give you an accurate estimate- excatly what did they do for you that you were treated so fairly Kim? Or did you give the guy a hand job to knock down the price?

• Kk
      10th of Jun, 2008
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Unethical business
    Brookline
    Massachusetts

I was quoted $110 to have a locksmith come and remove a piece of metal from my door... the locksmith came, removed the piece of metal from the door and we were able to put our key in and unlock the door on our own. HOWEVER, the locksmith charged us $39 for a service call, $75 to remove a piece of metal from the door, and then $110 for key unlock. WHAT A SCAM! Not to mention the locksmith was completely RUDE, and shady. I have contacted the company to complain of being overcharged, and was given a fax machine number to submit my receipt- I've been trying to get the receipt in for TWO days, and the line is busy- I can't get anyone on the phone. I have already filed an affidavit with my bank, and intend to get $110 back which was charged UNFAIRLY! UNETHICAL business practices.

• Le

Submitted: 7/11/2017 6:26:14 PM
    Modified: 7/11/2017 6:26:00 PM
    Customer
    Jacksonville, Florida

Over $500 dollars to replace a lock and deadbolt. The supposable cost of the door knob and deadbolt lock was about $200 dollars each. That's called a highway rip-off! Door knobs don't cost $200 dollars. To install the new door knob and deadbolt was originally $750 dollars. After refusing to pay $750 dollars the Israeli locksmith told me to just give you $500 dollars. WOW. What a scam!

The company operator told me that they only hire Israeli locksmith LOLnow that is funny! I looked up the most expensive industrial door know and dead bolt which both came to less than $65 dollars a piece. Unfortunately the locksmith already did the work without explaining the cost so I was stuck in a rock and a hard place. Unbelievable! Every other lock smith that I had come to my house said that the maximum cost for the parts and install was no more than $225 dollars. WOW. A Locksmith ripped me off so bad its unbelievable! Shame on you guys!

I was forced to pay $500 dollars or basically leave my front door exposed all night. What a huge scam and ripoff! The Israeli was a liar and a scam artist making over a thousand dollar profit for his work. Buyers beware!!!

Customer
    Jacksonville, Florida
    U.S.A.

• Ju
      24th of Sep, 2008

Kim poor argument, these people are ripoff artists. Toyota Camry, charged 149 dollars to open it after an hour and a half of waiting. Traffic? Finding the location? Try 2 blocks away, the guy showed up with his girlfriend. If you work for these people you should be ashamed of yourself or skip being ashamed and go jump in traffic.

• Ca
      19th of Nov, 2008

Ours is different, but still way bad. Our front door lock was broken, called them to fix. The guy spent 8 hours and changed his story every hour or two about what sort of approach he was going to take. In the end, it barely worked, had 4 exposed holes drilled into the face of the door, had a screw sticking out of the door jam and no plate for aesthetics. He said he would find an antique plate (we live in an older house) in an upcoming job when he replaced someone else's lock and he'd be back. In the meantime, we paid $400 for the "work" done ... and he never came back. We contacted the main line, spoke to a woman who sounded sympathetic and acted like we would be reimbursed for the damages and cost to replace the now ruined door and lock. We had to get two quotes, which we did, and then we were told that the owner doesn't want to pay it. His name is David Peer. Let's all seek him out.

• Sc
      20th of Nov, 2008
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Overcharged and Unprofessional
    Dependable Locks Inc.

I locked my keys in my house. Wasn't told price on the phone. Long wait. Very unprofessional looking guy drives up in a regular car (no buisness logo). Tries to use a food lion card to open the door which doesn't work (of course). Explains if he has to pick the lock it's $75. Oh yeah, just him showing up has cost me $39 service charge + $75 since his food lion card isn't working. If picking it won't work then it's $95+39 if he has to drill it. I show him a window that might be pryed open and turns out he takes an ordinary hammer I help him open the window in less than a minute. So maybe I should pay $39+$5 for use of the hammer and 1 min of effort right? Nope, I paid $39+$45 so $84 total. Guy even said this: "Wow that was easy. . . you woke me up for this?" (it was 9:30 in the morning). Also he had me fill out 2 invoices, one on a blank sheet, so I think he is keeping half of the money somehow to put in his pocket and the rest he turns in to the company. A normal locksmith will charge the service fee and nothing else if it is a simple job that takes a few minutes. After suspecting a scam I called Dependable Locks and immediately they were defensive and rude, I could tell I'm not the only person to question their business practices. I don't want to argue with them any more since they know where I live and I don't trust people who I suspect are involved in criminal behavior.

• Cu
      6th of Jan, 2009
    Dependable Locks Inc. - CHEATING CHEATING WORST
    www.phoenix-locksmith.com
    Phoenix
    Arizona
    Phone: 18885721069
    phoenix-locksmith.com

PLEASE Read this and BE AWARE OF this COMPANY way of charging(Cheating) CUSTOMER. I am the real customer cheated by www.phoenix-locksmith. com I did send mail to their customer service and no response on my email. My RECOMDATION is DO NOT even think to call this guys for doing locks work if you don't want to pay your Hard earned money. Please see the detail email to customer service. ----------- ----- Hi, Friday 01/02/2017 6 PM, your guy came and changed 6 locks in my home, I really frusted his service for following reason. 1.Instead of charging for 6 locks he charged 7 locks, one extra 2.He went and bought locks from "YYY" Store near by my home "YYYY Brand" locks, whichs is $29.94 contains 4 locks. But he charged $35 for each locks which is really worth of $8. I asked him before he replace the locks that this is looks like cheap one, but he was saying this is the best locks. 3.He charged separetly for keys total $120, keys are coming with the product he bought. 4.He charged $6 for each locks install 5.He charged $39 for service call, total he charged $358 for 6 cheapest locks worth of $48(real worth price from YYY store). 6.I called customer service, Mr Leslie was attending my call and asked my send fax of the bill to 1-866-388-2687. I did send fax attn to Leslie name around 10.45AM 01/05/2017. I am really upset and didnot get sleep for past 2 days because I was feeling I am cheated with that guy. I am really serious to take this issue to any level if not resolved.. Please refund my money. ----------- -----

• Li
      8th of Mar, 2009

My roommate and I just used this company to get into our apartment - we were told the same thing ($39 to come out, $15 for the unlocking fee). When the guy came out he said the lock was going to have to broken... basically 5 minutes later we were given a bill for $390 for getting into the apartment (lock broken) and a new lock to replace it. Did he mean $39 times 1o? We felt pressured into paying and we did. After, I've gone online and have seen all these complaints and issues about this company, and even the state of IL has revoked their right to do business within the state. I called the guy who did the work for us but he refused to help me and said I needed to call the number on our invoice. I also asked him to give me his name and he would only give me his first name and refused to give me his last name.

My recommendation is to file with your credit card company - essentially this is fraud and you can issue a chargeback. Give the details of what happened to your credit card company; you essentially paid for services not received and were lied to about what you would be charged. Your credit card company will take it from there - especially since you've tried to call them back about it and they denied ever speaking with you.

We've issued a chargeback on ours and are hoping for an outcome in our favor - we've also filed a complaint with the BBB. The address we have on our invoice is for a place in FL. Definitely suspicious.

• Be
      1st of Sep, 2009
    Dependable Locks Inc. - Fraud , Ripp off, Right before eyes
    Dependable Locks Inc
    2643 Gulf To Bay Blvd
    Clearwater
    Florida
    Phone: 8664299485

402-408-9710 as a Scammer/Fraudster, beware of this phone number.

Once i got locked out of home, searched for lock smiths around omaha area, this number came up in google. when asked about the charge the dispatcher said the technician would talk. when the so called technician arrived after an hour, he charged $180, which is unfair and he wouldnt negotiate. He gave an invoice from Dependable Locks Inc. 2463 Gulf To Bay Blvd, Suite 1560-420, Clearwater, FL 33759, He came in a Maryland license plate. Please dont deal with this phone and get ripped off.

Stay away!!!