Custom Built Personal Training / Unauthorized charges to credit card

1 Pompano Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

This company signed me up for a three session trial of personal training sessions. I paid the fee on my credit card and received the three sessions, I then told the trainer I was not interested in any further sessions, I thought that was the end of it. About a month later I noticed a charge on my credit card from Custom Built Personal Training (CBPT) and I immediately tried to call, talk to local representative (who was fired), sent email and then a certified letter stating these charges where not authorized. I received no response and the following month another charge appeared. I contacted my credit card company and disputed the charges, they received no response from CBPT and removed the charges, this process continued for over six months. Eventually CBPT produced my original credit card receipt for the trial and said it committed me to a 6 month contract. Many letters and phone calls later this file was closed by the bank (credit card issuer) and my credit card was cancelled and replaced with a new account. Two months ago after a year and 3 months, I received letter from collections agency demanding a payment of $420, I immediately sent them the documentation with CBPT and the Bank, but received no response. Next month a collections entry was made on my credit report causing a drop of 60 points on my credit score, I again tried to get this removed, but today received notice from collections agency that if I did not pay in 5 days they would take legal action. This company continues to operate at my Planet Fitness Club and I have been told of similar situations with other customers. These clubs are unregulated and use very deceptive, maybe fruadulent practices to extort money from customers. I will forward complaint to Florida Attorney General and see if anything can be done to stop this company's activities.

Comments

• Ti
      8th of Jun, 2010

How did sending the info to the attorney general work out? I am looking for a way to stop them as well. A very similar thing has happened to me, now thousands of dollars later I want my money back and am getting laughed at by their "costemer service" people.

• Le
      21st of Jun, 2010

You guys are scaring me now. Maybe I need to take a look at my contract. I may need to cancel my card after all. About the collection agency and your credit report. There is a special letter you can send to all 3 bureaus and have the negative removed.

• Ti
      21st of Jun, 2010

YES! Read and reread your contract, it has taken me a while but I am hopping this si the last payment I will have to make for srevices I am not and have not been recieving! When I spoke with someone about cancelling my card to stop the payments the "special letter" you are speaking of was briefly brought up but not produced and I was told it does no good if they have a contract that states they had the "legal" right to keep removing my funds. They make a habit of not opening their certified mail and sending back so that they get another months payment out of you! Good Luck.

• Ca
      18th of Nov, 2010

I won't give my name out, but I'm a former sales manager for one of the Custom Builts in the South East. Every above complaint is true. The company screws over its trainers as well. I know this because I played a hand in it. Numerous argument broke out with the General Manager and Assistant General Manager (myself) against the trainers. The trainers were always complaining that they never got paid enough, and that they were missing hours.

There is a system on the computer, that the trainers would log their trainer number into, and check off their training sessions. One of my job duties was to delete a couple of sessions from each trainer. It was done in such a way that the client would still be charged for their session, but a trainer wouldn't get paid for it.

For instance, if a trainer performed 60 training sessions, we would only pay him/her for 56. If you did 30, you would get paid for 28. If you did 15 sessions, you got paid for 14. There is no way for the trainers to figure out which sessions they weren't getting paid for, so they always lost arguments against us.

If they got to clever about it, we would find other ways to get around it. For instance, "Don't worry about those two sessions. You're getting paid for it next paycheck." If you still didn't leave it alone, we would find an excuse to fire you.

It was a near perfect system. Eventually my conscience got the better of me and I quit.

Custom Built, plainly put, screws over everybody.