CompUSA / Laptop extended warranty

I purchased a 2005 HP Lance Armstrong edition laptop with a three year extended warranty (TAP) for an additional $369.99. They recommended the TAP because should anything happen it will be covered through COMPUSA. One month after the purchase the laptop had to be replaced by another laptop due to problems with the original laptop purchased. When I picked up the second laptop I specifically asked the technician if this will be a problem with the TAP extended warranty and he said it should carry over. On May 19, 2007, since school is on break, my daughter decided to turn in the computer for repair because the optic drive skips in the DVD player and the USB works sporadically. Two days later I received a call saying that the serial numbers do not match the receipt that I provided for the repair. This was due to the laptop replacement which they did not note in their system. It's odd that a computer company does not keep good COMPUTER records. They asked if I had the paper showing the exchange because they had no record. Is this an accusation that I stole the laptop? I found the replacement papers which noted the new serial number and dropped it off at COMPUSA. On June 1, 2007 I received a call that the laptop was sent out on May 30, 2007 and it should be ready in 10 days. On June 12, 2007 I received a message that the laptop was not sent out for repair because the serial number did not match and the company that does their repair would not repair the laptop. I called them to find out "what is going on?" I thought this was resolved. Mike said due to an oversight on their part the laptop did not go out and they are supposed to receive approval from the repair company before sending out the laptop for repair. I asked him if he received the paper showing the exchange and he replied he did. I guess he forgot to provide this paper when requesting repair. I feel like they are "jerking" me around and they really do not wish to honor the extended warranty. He promised that he will expedite the repair, but I'm not holding my breath. It is obvious that they do not keep any records of purchases or even the extended warranties. So everyone make sure you keep every receipt and records of all transactions. They do not even update their service website which they recommend consumers to check for their status on repairs. I'm not so sure I would make another purchase from COMPUSA after this along with their extended warranty.

Comments

• Bf
      18th of Nov, 2008

Continued extended warranty problems with laptops. The story now that CompUSA has closed... Recently, my AC adapter died. I still have my warranty which should not expire until 1/6/2009. However, it seems that the repair network that has taken over for the now-defunct CompUSA is not legitimate. They have no record of previous purchases, and you have to fax them your old receipt. They do not have a physical address to send it to, so they are a a slightly clandestine organization. Anyway, I have thus faxed the documents 3 times. Once after they gave me a the wrong service number. Again after I received the right number, and just today again as apparently they do not update the receipts/documentation in a timely manner. The attendants are not exactly rude, but they appear to be reading "sorry sir" scripts and are so busy talking, they don't hear you trying to express what you have already done. Reportedly, it only takes 48 hours to enter you information, but it can take 5-7 days (or for all perpetuity).

Today is Monday. I will call them again on Thursday. I am getting the sneaking suspicion they are simply sitting around waiting for the warranty period to die. I don't think they are legitimate and probably took the lowest bid to extend warranty service to now bereft buyers.