Columbiahouse.com / Was tricked into a Columbia House membership, which still haunts me four years late

I, like many others, was tricked into a Columbia House membership, which still haunts me four years later. After I learned I had to decline their "director's choice" DVDs every three weeks, under penalty of being billed for something I wanted nothing to do with, I began looking for ways to cancel my membership. Needless to say, the company's customer service is a gauntlet designed to keep angry "customers" (a company like this has victims, not customers) at bay. With sites like consumeraffairs and compaintsboard alone you could fill a bookshelf with complaints of false advertising, extortion, harassment, and so on. Thus I gave up on trying to cancel my membership, and dutifully declined my DVDs every three weeks until the cutoff date, the point at which I would be billed for any unfulfilled membership buying requirements. This was when I began getting harassing, sometimes multi-daily, calls from NRA (National Recovery Agency) and more recently the Takhar Group. I have chosen to not dignify these immoral attack-dogs by answering their calls. This was all well and good, but in the meantime this could be damaging my credit and is certainly a nuisance at the very least. Worst of all, I have to experience this slow-motion implosion from the inside, and watch as others get trapped in the web of Direct Brands Inc and BookSpan, and all they encompass. When I think about it, it is clear that the crooks who started these parent companies had no intention fo being in business for the long run. It is perhaps the farthest thing from a "sustainable business model" I've ever had the horror of knowing. The intentionality is clear: They wanted to make a little money off their DVD, book, CD, etc. sales and an exponential fortune off late fees and whatever their collection henchmen could squeeze. To prey on the ignorant, unwilling, and stupid; how sad a company of people that would think to unleash this and call it "business." I hope this is a learning experience for those caught in the wake of this corruption, and a hearty push towards more consumer-centric legal precedents - such that we may prevent future reincarnations of this beast.

Sh

Comments

5th of May, 2008

i paid $128.70 for videos i did not order. i tried to contact somebody by phone but only gave ordering and pay options. to pay $128.70 for two movies i did not order is a ripoff. is there somebody i can talk too at columbia house?

• Hu
      5th of May, 2008

i never joined any club, i don't watch movies, and i'm not gonna pay this bill, don't sent any more movies or bills. i;m gonna throw this movies you sent me in the trash, and any more you might send, hugo dirks

7th of May, 2008

I've wrote "please cancel my subsription for the past two months" to my avail. I need to cancel for financial purposes. I've receieved great service and would sign back up in the future.
    Please honor my request. Thank you.

• Ke
      7th of May, 2008

Your charges of $11.96 I will not pay, because I did not receive a bill and this is not first time you tried to put a late payment to my account, their fore, not only I'm not paying for not receiving for something that I never receive. And I 'm cancling my account.
    #50526670471
    047554 $1.99
    047568 $1.99
    048000 $1.99
    047566 $1.99
    LATE PAYMENT $3.00

12th of May, 2008

I ordered two childrens movies at a cheap price and now I am gettting bills for $40.00. I did not order these movies that they say I owe. I would even rent much less buy them. I do not wish for the hassarassment from this company. There is not even a person to speak with about this issue and that is not very business like. I want this matter resolved and quick. I will not do business with online again. I feel that it is a scam...

Mindy 5/12/08

14th of May, 2008

I agree on my bill that I have just recieved after sending back 5 others because they were duplicates and I see that they were credited (thank-you). But, now I would like for you to please take me off of the directors selection. Even though I will still be buying dvd's from your co. Also, please continue to send me the books of selection.
    By the way, I will be sending my coupons for this promotion package that I have agreed on. So it will be three coupons for 3 free dvd's not over $21.99 per dvd.
    Please send me an email if I am not correct on something here.

Thank-You,
    J.R.Reynolds

14th of May, 2008

where are my dvd's? sence iv'e moved from Md. I have not receved any but i am being charged for them!

14th of May, 2008

i'm pissed at your company!!!

• Ed
      17th of May, 2008

I have notified columbia house many times I do not want to continue service with them. They automatically keep charging me
    monthly on my charge card without me giving them permission. I am over and above the amount to purchase so I have met
    my responsibilities. I am unhappy they are doing this without permission and I will notify my lawyer if this does not stop.
    I have telephoned the organization many times and I seem to get nowhere with them. I received another CD in the mail
    today which is a children's CD and which I would never order. They seem to have the freedom to charge my account no
    matter what the CD might be. This is not right. This will have to stop soon or else.
    Thank you.
    Barbara and Ed Keyes
    Customer service just is not there for complaints. They do not want to listem to me! I am not happy with this organization
    whatsoever.

• Jd
      21st of May, 2008

Does anyone know the address to Columbia House?

Their collection agency is calling me for something I did not order. I've never done business with this company and see on the internet where they have numerous complaints.

They use bogus threats to defraud consumers. Why hasn't one of our government agencies shut these ### down?

I did just speak with the FTC but they advise that "I" must write to Columbia House and request to see the documentation of my alleged order. One would think the FTC could have solved this crap for all of us having to deal with it.

28th of May, 2008

I am 72 yr old and do not have an instrument to play your music on. I did not sign up for any music. My neighbor tried to get some information on my computor and somehow got into your co. I haave paid for what you sent and will not send another dime and will send it back to you as it has never been opened.

• Ei
      2nd of Jun, 2008

I RECEIVED A DVD CALLLED UNTRACEABLE THAT WILL NOT PLAY IN MY DVD PLAYER CAUSE ITS FOR BLUE-RAY DISK I DONT HAVE ONE OF THOSE.. I WILL NOT PAY FOR IT THEY NEED TO REPLACE IT WITH REG DVD, , I WILL RETUNE IT WHEN THEY SEND THE REPLACEMENT. SINCERLY EILEEN MCFEE

• Ca
      8th of Jun, 2008

Acct # 50478279107
    Please be advised that I have fulfilled my purchase requirement as stated on your invoice 5/19/08 with the purchase of
    Brave one, Night at the museum and Charlie wilson warand i have a credit of $4.99
    Why.on the current order card for Bucket List do you state that I still have 1 unit to fulfill I only had three units for my origional contract. Please advise me.
    Also I do not want this months selection. Thank you

• Pa
      8th of Jun, 2008

I do not want to receive anymore of the movies you send me.
    If I am paying, i decide where I want my money to be spent.
    Also your untimely deductions from my bank account have resulted in several overdraft fees, thus costing me over double the costof your movies you sending me without me knowing. To make matters worst, you charged me twice for my initiation fee, as my records reflect.

• Bo
      15th of Jun, 2008

In december I paid off money owed. I explained that i did not want any more movies and cl0se my account. You send a bee movie and it said it was owed to me. now you want money. I want to know were to send this movie back!!! It hjas not been open. Plese have a customer service person call me. ASAP 702641-7833.

• Ca
      18th of Jun, 2008

I received an urgent letter stated that I must pay $132.70, but I must tell you I never place an order nor receive anything from COLUMBIA HOUSE. Therefore I can't pay for something that I never received or seen.

THANK YOU.

• Pe
      20th of Jun, 2008

I received a call from a collection agency (couldn't tell you which one because the caller was from the mideast and could barely understand him) saying that I owe over $100.00 for something I supposedly ordered fro Columbia House back in 2001!!! He would not tell me what it was that I ordered. I don't remember ever ordering from them and I have not received a bill from them in all these years. Also, I never order anything using my nickname, always my given name of Margaret. He insisted that it was for Pegi. I kept telling him that I needed a copy of the bill giving me the information of what I ordered, the date and the amount of the bill. He kept saying that he was not calling to convince me that I had made the order, he was calling to collect the money. I told him again that if I received that information and did in fact owe the money that I would pay immediately. he wouldn't listen. I will NEVER order anything from them in the future and if I can get more information I will take it to my attorney.

3rd of Jul, 2008

what is wrong with this company. i paid over $200 dollars for three movies i did not order! closed my account.haft to deal with automated service. i am in the proses of buying a house and don't need anything on my credit report. Would you know they sent me another movie for $27.74.

10th of Jul, 2008

Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, I was not able to reach anyone by telephone nor email as you suggested, so I am writing my compliant to you.
    I received a statement in the mail saying that I owe you $68.89 for DVD's I did not order nor purchased. I apologize for the mixed up but unfortunately you may have sent the DVD's to someone else because I never received them. If I would have received them I would have returned them to you because I can get DVD's much cheaper than you charge.

Antoinette

• Ju
      10th of Jul, 2008

I do no longer what to received movies from columbia house.
    So please do not charge me again. and do not sent any more movies to my address.
    Judy