Columbia House DVD Club / Got movies-did not order

1 Indiana, PA, United States Review updated:

In Jan 2007, I was a victim of identity theft and Internet fraud. I received DVD's from Columbia House that I did not order. I got billing from them for the amount of $106.76, with threats of turning me over to a collection agency. This was recently, after over a year of hearing nothing from these people, and thinking this problem had been resolved. There were 41 other fraudulent charges against my account and all others were corrected. Before Christmas, I returned 9 DVD's to them, still sealed, along with a letter of explanation, their bill, and documentation of the fraud, as well as a copy of a complaint filed with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, all dated Jan 2007. Today, 31Dec 2008, I get another statement from them for the $106.76, and telling me that this account has been reported to a consumer reporting agency, with the further threat of referring the account to a national collection agency. How do I get these dogs off my back?? Like others of you, I can't get anyone to answer the phone, and the websites are no help, except maybe this one.

Comments

• Cd
      28th of Oct, 2006
    Columbia House DVD Club - Payed for 2 shipped just one!

As a membership duty I had to purchase 2 DVD's from Columbia House for a price of $43.88. However I was only shipped one of the DVD's and only given "Rain Check" explanation for the other missing DVD on my invoice. Columbia House still charged me $43.88 for only one DVD. I could not reach any of their representatives on the phone and had to close my account on the computer system to prevent future charges.

23rd of May, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Ignoring request to cancel club membership

I have noted "Cancel" on the past two order cards I've received, and am still receiving order cards from this company. I have fulfilled the club requirements by ordering the required number of products and I now wish to cancel immediately. I don't appreciate the unauthorized charges on my credit card and consider this FRAUD!

29th of May, 2007

I am not satisfied with the choices of DVD sent to me without my order. The prices are ridiculous. I have requested cancellations more than once on my membership and still no one is doing anything about this situation.

I consider this to be outrageous because I am not going to pay for DVDs that I did not order with a high price. These DVDs are being forced on me to accept. This club has absolutely no privileges.

I know my rights as a customer and this has to stop. I am not going to be forced to accept high price DVDs that I did not order.

• Ph
      6th of Jun, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Sending DVDs which I never signed up for

Sending DVDs which I never signed up for & said i would be charged a late fee if not payed within 30 days. If they send something in mail you didn't sign for you don't have to send it back you can just through it away.

• Ge
      28th of Feb, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - billing me for a dvd I had sent back
    Columbia House
    p o box 91601
    Phone: none given
    columbiahouse.com

Columbia house has billed me for a dvd that they had sent to me and I did not join thier club. I did send the DVD back to them. It was in January that I returned the Package to them.

• Mi
      17th of Apr, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - Inaccurate recording keeping
    P.O. Box 91609
    www.columbiahouseDVDclub

I joined Columbia House DVD Club in June, 2007 - have a record of six payments since joining and have fulfilled my contract of buying five DVDs - I believe I am current with my contract agreement and according to their records I still need to buy 2 more movies. Customer Service was rude to me when I joined and I do not want to have any further business with this company.

26th of Apr, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - unauthorized credit chg. told them no
    P.O.Box 91638
    Phone: 1-800-262-2001
    www.columbiahouse.com

I notified the company not to charge my credit card for any future purchases, without my prior approval. I am in the process of changing banks. Yesterday I get a letter from my bank stating I am overdrawn. Today I get two movies from columbia house, ( one I ordered one I did not), BOTH charged to my credit card!!! Now I am in the hole ! Someone best contact me and straighten this out!!!

• Hu
      5th of May, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - merchandise i never ordered

i never joined any club, nor do i want too, you send me a movie and expect payment, forget it, i'm not gonna pay it. i'm gonna throw this movie right into the trash along with the bill. stop sending me anything. hugo dirks

17th of Jul, 2008

I'm trying to cancel and can't figure out how. I stopped ordering dvds and they are charging my account $28 a month and I'm not receiving any dvds either! Does anyone know how to CANCEL?!

20th of Jul, 2008

I too was sent a bill for $12.95 for a DVD that I never ordered or received. I have never joined this company and by the looks of the complaints against them, I never will. It is a shame that a company needs to deceive in order to get customers. I tried to contact them with no luck, so I plan to discuss this matter with my lawyer tomorrow and see what advice he offers and then take action. I would also like to know how the got my information in the first place.

• Th
    labelle
    Florida
    Phone: 8632348750
    tahd77@aol.com

hello i went for your 4 cd's for $5.00 sent you a check signed by jackie stout my account number theodore arniotis 50562274048 9999970313 964 columbia house dvd club please answer 8-6-2008 thank-you

7th of Aug, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - Charged twice
    Columbia House
    1101 melvin drive
    Portsmouth
    Virginia
    Phone: 7573742911
    www.columbiahouse.com

I joined the columbia house dvd club and they charged me twice and i haven't even received it yet. Might not be much to some but it is to me now i don't have any money with my bills coming in please get fixed before my bills come in it is 17.36, but i will be charged 25 for anything over that amount and i got at least two things on there.

19th of Aug, 2008

i made the mistake of joining columbia house. even as a member i can say that col. house is not good. during my membership i cancelled two of my directors selections and was still charged for them but never received them. now i am out the cost of those dvd's and did not even receive them either. their customer service is difficult to work with.

• De
      10th of Oct, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - Can't finish DVD order
    Terra Haute
    ColumbiaHouseDVDClub.com

I tried to pre-order The Dark Knight and the link disconnects and will not let me finish the order. I hate this website.

• He
      17th of Oct, 2008

I'VE BEEN HAD !!! COLUMBIA HOUSE RIPPED ME OFF BIG TIME !!! I PAID FOR THE INTRODUCTORY OFFER ONLINE USING MY DEBIT CARD ! AND NOW WHEN I TRY TO LOGIN TO THEIR WEBSITE THIS PAGE COMES UP SAYING THAT I STILL OWE THEM, TRIED TO CONTACT THEM, TO NO AVAIL THEY CAN'T BE CONTACTED FROM ANY OF THE NUMBERS THEY PROVIDE. THEY HAVE EVEN TAKEN THE MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT !!!, WHY PLAY GAMES " COLUMBIA HOUSE " I WILL FOLLOW THRU ON THIS. YOU WILL NOT SCREW ME AROUND EVER AGAIN...!!!

• Zi
      11th of Nov, 2008

Account 5043385633
    Title: JUMPER
    Charges: $25.94

Selection No. #49 299 072W

Unfortunately, I was sent a defective DVD. This is my second request for a new DVD and have not received it as yet. This DVD is paid for. I cannot view it. Thank you for taking care of this.

8508 Park Road # 182
    Charlotte, NC 28210

• Ti
      3rd of Jan, 2009

yeah, just months ago i got a harassing response from columbia house telling me i owe them payment for a movie i bought somewhere around 6 or 7 years ago. i got in touch with them and told them i paid for the movie. they kept insisting i never paid for it when i know i did. back then, not having problems with companies trying to make me pay for something i never kept receipts for anything. somehow back then i lost the receipt of the money order i sent to them for the movie i know i paid. well then they said they were going to have a collection agency force me to pay for the movie. and they were very persistant too. so to get them off my back, i went and paid for the movie even though i know i paid for it. then they were extremely pleased when they received my money and they then said thank you. yeah, of course they're pleased when they receive money for the second time for the same product. if anybody has any sense of any kind, stay far away from this company. and i've had similar problems from this company before. somebody needs to put this company out of business for good so they won't continue what they are doing.

• Ka
      19th of Feb, 2009
    Columbia House DVD Club - My name was used to open an account and ruin my credit
    Aberdeen
    Maryland

My name was used by a co-worker to establish an account with Columbia House DVD Club, and they refused to verify any personal information about me so they could correct the problem. They said they would close the account (IN MY NAME) and my credit would be ruined. PLEASE HELP!!!

16th of Apr, 2009

I got a dispute bill with Columbia House DVD Club too, does anyone have that company's phone number? Thanks.

• Bu
      14th of Sep, 2009
    Columbia House DVD Club - did not receive paid for DVDs
    columbiahousedvdclub.com

I paid for DVDs via credit card online and never received the dvds...nor can I locate a phone number or enter anywhere into the website to inform them I never received the ordered and paid for product.