Columbia House DVD Club / Should be investigated for criminal fraud

This is in regard to my experience with Columbia House DVD club. According to its membership rules, you must purchase 4 DVD's in order to retain its promotional price on 6 DVD's purchased at the onset of membership. When you finally select to purchase the 4th DVD to meet your membership obligation, mysterious shipping delays and backlogs begin to emerge and contacts with Columbia House become next to impossible. It is my considered assessment that Columbia House DVD club is very little more than a scam operation and should be investigated for criminal fraud.

Di

Comments

• Na
      11th of Apr, 2007

They should be investigated! I'm so frustrated and annoyed with these soulless people. This is the email I have sent them over and over and over!

My name is Eric Frace. I ordered:

$10.95
    01/02/2007 CityCARD Debit DC TRN COL*HOUSE VIDEO CLUB
    $122.84

total: $133.79

The card I used is different then the card that was registered on the account but I have proof that I spent this money and I've never received the movies. You sent me an email saying that the money had been refunded, but the money is not back in the account that I used and the card that was registered on the account has been cancelled. I would like my money back. Deposited into the account that I used.

I would be a willing participant in any legal action against this company. I don't think that I will ever get my money back but I am going to cancel my card with my bank account and I'm sending emails to everyone in Oklahoma media. I suggest emailing any news agencies, even your local colleges to warn people against this corrupt company! I am!

• Di
      19th of Apr, 2007

Columbia House DVD Club are liars and scammers. I clicked their pop-up for 15 DVDs for 49 cents each and 5 free.I did not know what I was about to get myself into.

I received a package of 7 DVDs at full price and repeated interest being added on.

Now Im receiving threats from a collection agency.Thank God I didn't give them my home address. But I know they'll find me. I live in Ontario Canada.If someone here is suffering the same way as I am then please let's take these people legally.

This is plain fraud.

• Dj
      23rd of May, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Can't get through to a representative to discuss account

When logging on to the account, there is no contact link. I need to discuss this account with a human being and when calling their 800-262-2001 number I can't get through to anyone except recording. It's been 2 weeks since I mailed a payment and they have not (according to their computer generated system) yet received it and they have suspended my account. I can't pull up an order-history on the website even to see what has been order, returned, etc.

Please help! ASAP!
    Thank you!

• Sh
      29th of May, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Shabby business practices

I am an EX Member!!! Having always paid my bills the SAME day I received a shipment I should have never received merchandise I did not order! But I did. I returned it, since it was not ordered, and just let them pay postage.

I will NOT pay for anyone else's mistake!!! Before long I was getting bills for the postage, so I wrote them, seven times to no avail. I also called four times and was assured that all was fine and not to worry. Today I am reading my second "Collection Letter " and was told that they will report me for unsatisfactory dealings with me. This will go into my Credit Report and leave a mark on my Credit!!!

I will NEVER do business with them again and am searching for further places to report their shabby business practices. I tried calling but talking to a machine does nothing and so I am going further.

S.H. Pancake
    Co. Springs Colorado.

• Bl
      29th of May, 2007

I am having my problems to and i wish i had never joined them. I made the mistake of not getting out of the club when i could. My membership has been fulfilled by Columbia house refuses to let me quit the club... There not supposed to be able to do this to a customer, but apparently they can if they want... Now there sending me dvds in the mail and i have sent them back now they say i owe them 80 dollars in cash for some dvds... Which i sent back took them to the post office and marked refuse return to sender... Ive told them i wanted to quit and to take me off there mailing list but they refuse to do so... I guess theres nothing i can do I have been taking advantage of and screwed...

I don't know what else to do but send them money for the dvds , or the will end up sewing me this just sucks.

• Ro
      2nd of Jun, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Unsolicited packages

I recently received a DVD from Columbia House that I absolutely did NOT order. It was in a package with a vague (PO Box) return address, so I opened it. According to the enclosed invoice, I had joined their DVD club and this was the introductory DVD. I taped the package and attempted to return the DVD immediately. The post office wouldn't return an opened package without ME paying the postage, so I attempted to contact someone at Columbia House to request a postage paid return label. There is no way to contact a customer service representative on their website and the 800 number on the invoice for customer service is a joke - you can't reach a human being! AND if you attempt to cancel your membership, it promises to send you a statement to fulfill your membership obligation. WHY should I be obligated to pay for something that I never ordered in the first place and HOW are these people getting away with a scam like this? I refuse to pay the return postage for an item that I never ordered, so the DVD is sitting on my desk in the original packaging waiting for a postage paid return label. If I wanted to watch Coach Carter, I would rent it from Netflix!

• Fr
      8th of Jun, 2007

I suggest that you immediately contact your State Attorney General and file a complain. Also file a complain with your Postal Inspectors and the Indian State Attorney. You also can file a complain with the BBB and FTC. You can file directly from the internet.

The number of complains in the internet are in the thousands. This company is clearly violating Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009. That section of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970. This is plain and simple: FRAUD!

28th of Jun, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Sending unordered video and charge me for it

I am receiving DVD's from Columbia House DVD Club, with charges reflecting on my credit card that they have on file. I have not ordered the video's that they are sending nor did I authorize any automatic transactions on my credit card.

11th of Aug, 2007

I received a phone call in August 2007 from Columbia House collection department advising me that I am three months in arrears for a DVD I ordered online. I advised them that I did not create an online account nor have I received a DVD from their company in the mail. Apparently an account was supposedly created using my e-mail address however the address given to them was incorrect so the DVD was mailed to the wrong apartment. I advised them that I never received a confirmation e-mailing acknowledging this account and therefore they should have never mailed out a DVD also if they were continuously mailing out collection notices and received no response from why didn't they contact me via e-mail? No the battle is on with this company, they want me to fill out a lost merchandise form, a form which states that I acknowledge I am the holder of the account. This is just a tactic holding me to the contract to purchase two more DVD's. Merchandise I never ordered as of now my account went from $11.35 to $76.00.

11th of Sep, 2007

I can not believe that no one had got back to me , over 1 month I have call wrote letters but get no where. Someone at an old address had placed an order with my name.. thank god for the old landlord that had found an empty box.. but all that was left was Columbia House DVD club.. I had called the post office they said that they will not send mail to that address. I also called mail fraud.. But I still get no where with Columbia House. As atone can just place an order, so they can just put any name down, so that person can just be stuck with the bill. God why don't you guys do something can some one get back to me Joann.

• Ca
      23rd of Sep, 2007
    Columbia House DVD - Unauthorized Charges

First of all, I don't even know how this company got my personal information. Second, they have been sending bills in the mail with charges for items that I do not even possess. Third, when trying to reach assistance for cancellation for an account with my name on it that I never agreed to have, there are only automated systems. You can never reach a real person. And last but not least, they insist that you pay them money or they will turn your name into an agency. Furthermore, this company should be investigated for fraud, and every victim that has suffered economic losses should be fully reimbursed.

• Ed
      25th of Sep, 2007

Then take out my money on september 15,today is 25 and my movies dont arrive yet,no even a confirmation by e-mail,where is my movie or my money.

• Pa
      30th of Sep, 2007

I have gotten sucked in with the try some of our sponsors and receive a free computer. I tried it and full filled all obligations. Columbia House DVD's did not fulfill their obligations. I didn't receive the DVD's I paid for. I was sent one for children that I didn't want. I was to order 3 more at regular price, if I ordered 2 when I placed the order. I orderd 2 at the time. They sent me one and charged my card. My obligation is filled even thou they didn't fill their obligation. I'm still getting messages from the company that my obligation is not filled. I called the company in India or somewhere and they were suppose to take care of it but hasn't. Don't get involved with Columbia House Clubs. They will not do as they promise and you can't get away from them. This is a terrible company and they get away with it because you can't talk to anyone in the USA.

• Wi
      1st of Nov, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - Fun Cash & 2year tenure

They advertise "Fun Cash" or building up points after so many purchases. I have thirty dollars worth. I'm having a hard time
    cashing them in. Its set where you can't mail in a request for a free DVD and its hard finding it on the web.

Second complaint; after two years we should'nt be required to fill
    out an order form stating we do not want the directors selection or they will send it to us. I believe my tenure is up.

17th of Nov, 2007
    Columbia House DVD Club - you sent me wrong DVD & where are my 6(49c) Dvd's.
    CoLUMBIA HOUSE DVD CLUB
    6213 York Bridge Circle
    Austin
    Phone: 512-529-6976

i got a mail from Columbia House DVD Club,i was not even a member,they sent me Amy wynehouse cd.its costed $3.02,which i'm ok with.after that i signed as a member & there was also a broucher that said 6DVD's for 49c each,i mailed all the six dvd's i wanted,but they haven't sent them,instead they sent me something else which cost $5.41.

i want an explaination & than my 6 dvd's as they prosime or i'm just gonna cancel the membership.
    i would like to be contacted soon,on my phone.

24th of Jan, 2008
    Columbia House DVD Club - Dogs get better treatment!
    Columbia House DVD Club
    P.O. Box 91610
    Indianapolis
    Indiana
    Phone: 1-800-262-2001
    www.columbiahouse.com

They induce you with low prices but then what? They send you DVDs you've declined, they charge you card for shipping when their promotion says they won't. You try to reach them by e-mail and they apologize but don't solve any of your problems. You might believe they can't read. You ask for a manager to respond, and don't get one. The phone number is voice mail jail. You don't get to talk to a live person unless you know that placing an order gets you to one. You finally get to a supervisor and tell them you want an immediate refund for a product they sent which you did not order (and has not come yet). They say you'll get your money when we get the DVD back and that could be 6-8 weeks! You explain that you are not a bank and not in the business of lending money to Columbia House and you had previously been promised no "Directors Selections" would need to be declined. Were they going to live up to their word? Evidently not. I gave the supervisor an ultimatum: either give me credit on my charge card now and you can keep me as a customer, or I can cancel my membership call my credit card company and dispute the charge so your company will not get the money either way. She told me I choose option two. This speaks volumes about the company. Good companies like Amazon will go out of their way to keep you happy and keep you as a customer. This is an example of the worst of the worst.

• T
      21st of Feb, 2008

I have been a member with columbia house for almost a year now i bought the 2 dvds they said you had to buy then they just started sending me movies in the mail almost on a daily basis and a bill for over a hundred dollars this is crazy! So like everyone else i try contacting the company but all you get is the automated lady that doesnt even work itself, I have sent them 4 emails to cancel my account and i have heard nothing but they keep sending me emails to try to get me to buy more I have never felt so harrassed and so angry, taken advantaged of , scammed the list could go on ! I do agree that dogs receive better treatment then what i have been given with my experience.

• Te
      22nd of Mar, 2008
    Columbiahouse DVD Club - Bad service
    Columbiahouse
    Indiana
    www.Columbiahouse.com

I went on line to redeem my Pepsistuff mp3 player points which took my to Amazon.com & they said I had to answer questions for member #. I did! The next thing I know I received through the mail a DVD from Columbiahouse along with a membership bill. I don't want & didn't want any membership. My wife canceled it & now I get a bill for quiting the club for the full amount of DVD's they say I agreed to buy. I offered to send the 1st one back as it hasn't even been viewed, so then I get this big Bill. I think it's a Scam & a rip off. I need help... T.R. Good.

• Ki
      1st of Apr, 2008

I agree about Columbia House...somehow they have my credit card number and made an unauthorized charge of 27.50 on it...can't get a hold of a breathing individual to talk to when I call them...so I called their order line and she said she don't have a direct number for customer support or billing either - what kind of crap is that? I was forced to cancel my credit card today and have a new account issued to me - will be 7 days before I can get it and the credit card co. wants me to have Columbia House refund the charge to me - well, one problem - I can't talk to anyone at CH to even make a complaint to have the UNAUTHORIZED charge refunded to me. I think their company has a lot to be desired. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help with a phone number where I can reach a breathing human being at Columbia House!

• Do
      2nd of Apr, 2008

I paid for my order with my credit card. The bill was supose to be $20.84 . I recieved a statement that the DVD club took out $40.84. I tried calling to see why I was over charged but I couldn't get through to a representative.