Posted:

Fraud and cheating

coastdental.com
Back in 2007, I had to have all my teeth pulled and dentures made. I did not have insurance so I got one of those discount dental plans and went to the Coast Dental on Waters Avenue, Tampa, FL. They did an exam, took xrays and gave me an estimate of treatment. The total plan came to $3, 879.00. We paid $1679 and financed the rest through 'their financial bank'. Wells Fargo did not charge finance charges but for some reason, I ended up paying $3891.66. Okay, while making the mold for my dentures, both the technician and the dentist kept having to remake the mold because my mouth is so small they did not have a mold small enough. But eventually, the mold was made, my teeth were pulled and the dentures put in my mouth. That night was agony but I went back the next day so that they could start making adjustments. The entire time, the dentist kept telling me that the bottom dentures would never fit properly or stay in because there was nothing to hold in the denture. I tried adhesives, Sea Bond and nothing worked. He told me the only want the lower denture would ever stay in was if I got implants to the tune of $5, 000 to $10, 000. I looked at him as if he had a third eye and say no thanks. They never did fit properly. The upper denture fit just fine. I felt that since the upper fit great and that the lower would never fit anyway, I never got the relines done. We satisfied the entire account in August 2007 and forgot all about it. Then in the middle of 2008, my husband reminded me that I never got the relines done so I should write to them and ask for a refund. I ended up writing two letters to the Coast Dental on Waters Avenue in Tampa and was advised my Nancy, the office manager that I was entitled to a refund of $562 and she would put in the request to the Corporate Office and to wait about 6 to 8 weeks. I waited 12 weeks and made numerous calls to Nancy but never got a call back. Finally, after about 16 weeks, she called me back and told me that she forgot to put in the request for a refund and would do it that day. I went up to the office a few days later to make sure she had done so and she said she did. I waited a few more weeks, and she finally called me and said Corporate said I was not entitled to a refund. I sent Corporate a certified letter, not only asking for a refund of the $562, but also for a refund of $1289 for the lower denture that I can never wear. She called me today and told me that I would not be getting a refund because I never paid for the services. HUH??? I have proof I paid for everything. I am going to write Corporate one more letter and enclose printouts of the complaints on this web page and let them know that this seems to be their modus operandi. If they still refuse to give me a refund, I will contact the local tv station and talk to their consumer advocate and also report them to the American Dental Association, our Attorney General, Better Business Bureau and whomever else I can report them to.
Complaint comments Comments (19) Complaint country United States Complaint category Dental Services

Comments

A  2nd of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
This place is an absolute rip off. They treat people like cattle and the dentists walk around with nothing to do but look at x rays and consequently setting an endless string of appointments that will in the end cost a fortune. I went in about two weeks ago, they took x rays, then the doctor came in, looked at them and told the assistant to set an appointment with the doctor that takes out the wisdom teeth. Then he walked out and started pacing around like he wanted to leave. His name is Dr Katz. The doctors are shifted around their different offices, so it is impossible to have two doctors look at you on the same day. I set an appointment with the other doctor and when I came in a few days later I was greeted by this beefy dude with hands like he had just mawn his lawn. I was glad he said I did not need have my wisdom teeth removed. The thought of having those fingers inside my mouth made me nauseous. Instead, he prescribed mouthwash. Yes, mouthwash. He then said I would need to schedule a third appointment with the first doctor to have a cavity fixed.

On my third appointment I was given the oral cancer exam and more x rays. The assistant did not know what she was doing. Whe I asked her about the results for the oral cancer exam, her response was an assuring, 'the doctor did not say anything so I am assuming you do not have cancer'. I had already warned her that i was pissed and that I was not leaving until I had some real work done on my teeth. Then came Dr Katz again who once again looked at the x rays and suggested to have more work done. Then, he proceeded to get up, walk away and started pacing around like a kid that's waiting to be saved by the bell. Then of course, another doctor was sent in. She was going to talk about deep cleaning but before she said anything I told her that I did not care about cleaning that I just wanted to have the cavity fixed. Then, they sent another dentist and he told me my options; have the tooth extracted or have a root canal. I asked him when could this be done and he said, 'you have to set another appointment'. Unbelievable, Coast Dental needs to be investigated. Absolute rip offs.
A  9th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Coast Dental in Pasadena was the dental care choice of My provider. After calling 3 times & leaving a number with ho return call I walked in to make an appt. They saw me the next day & did an exam & xrays. The xrays werent including gums & roots so Dr on duty had to guess which tooth had decay when she was reviewing the needed work. After putting togeather a list of things totaling over 3000 dollars the billing clerk.. a horrible pregnant woman with a bad attitude.. said nothing is covered by your insurer. Next day I called the writer of the dental coverage & was told 1 cleaning a year 3fillings & 3 simple extractions were covered as well as 2 surgical extractions. I could have used up all My coverage fro the year & would have, but she told Me the things werent covered. Next day I went back w the notes from talking to insurer & she admitted well some of the things were covered. I was so pissed by then I said no thanks Ill find a way to get it done someplace else. Calling corporate next & posting warnings where I san. They suck. Prices quoted were 2 -3 tomes more than a dentist I was paying a year or so ago.
A  9th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Pasadena FL
N  11th of May, 2011 by    +2 Votes
Coast dental should be SHUT DOWN!!! Especially St. Augustine office in Florida!!!
N  27th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Unnecessary fees and treatments
Coast Dental-Sebring
Sebring
coastdental.com

They are definitely Sales people! We are snowbirds from WI and needed a Dentist, here in Florida that accepted our Dental Plan. My wife and I went to Coast Dental for a check-up and afterwords we were given our plan of attack. We were both handed estimates for over $7000. each. It's not like we don't go to dentists, on a regular basis. I asked the Dentist why I needed so many crowns replaced and she said I don't floss. I informed her that I floss two times a day and her answer was “then your not doing it right.” My last couple of cleanings back home I was congratulated on how well I cleaned my teeth. There is something wrong here, but I haven't been to a different dentist yet!
N  27th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
Dear RV'er:

Thank you for your comment. We would like to address your concerns, but your review was posted anonymously. Please contact our Patient Relations team at 855-455-6601 so we may answer the questions that you have about your diagnosis and recommended treatment. Thank you.
N  12th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Good luck getting a refund
Coast Dental - Alpharetta, GA
8465 Holcomb Bridge Rd
Alpharetta
Georgia
Phone: 770-597-2616
coastdental.com

In February, 2012, I underwent a root canal at this location. At the time of the root canal, I was given a required amount to pay, which I paid on that visit. Upon completion of my insurance review, I learned that I had overpaid by about $67. I have been trying since mid-March, 2012 to get my refund. It is now mid-June 2012! Each time I call I'm told "It has been approved. Call us back in a couple of weeks for an update". Clearly, they have NO intention of EVER giving me my refund. I'm just thankful that it is not in the 1, 000's of dollars. Avoid Coast Dental if at all possible or REFUSE to pay them ANYTHING up-front.
N  27th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Over charged- poor ethics
Coast Dental Sun City
3070 College Ave
Sun City Center
Phone: 813-641-2945

My credit card was billed 6 months before services and over charged by 1, 000 and was told no refunds or credits. Ethics have no place at this profit center. All they care about is $$$ not your health. Find a real dentist office your bank account will thank you as we'll as your dental health.
A  14th of Dec, 2012 by    +1 Votes
STAY AWAY. Bait and switch practices. Failure to pay promised refund. They dentist advised that I needed some necessary work done. However, after my last procedure I was told that the work was cosmetic and not necessary and my insurance would not cover the charges. I never agreed to cosmetic work and told them this was bait and switch. After arguing with the office manager that this was deceitful she agreed to refund me and only charge the insurance rate. She told me it would take 4 weeks. However their corporate office has since stated that it takes 12 to 14 weeks for a refund. To date Lisa at their corporate office has failed to return my recent calls regarding my refund and I have not received my refund.
Coast Dental Pasadena FL
N  9th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Improper billing
Punta Gorda
Phone: 941-639-5224

My wife & I both had dental services with this office in January, 2013. We paid for the services that the office said was our responsibility and would submit the remainder to our insurance company. We receive invoices for large amounts of money and they said that the claim was denied. Spoke to our insurance company who said that requested additional information. One of the things they needed was an explanation of benefits from a secondary insurance company. I had that info and sent it to the insurance company. We called the dental office and they said that they would contact the insurance company and resubmit. We later received additional bills. Called the insurance company who said they never heard from them. Called the dentist office back and was told that I would get a call back from the office manager. Later received additional bills. No indication that they received any payment from the insurance company. The insurance company said they sent a check (that was cashed on 2/17/13 for $136. Today, received calls from a collection agency. Recalled the insurance company who called the dental office while I was on hold. The insurance company said they gave the dental office an e-mail address to use to send them the requested information. The dental offoce told them they would send the information. Insurance company told me to wait 3-4 days to see if they got a response and then call them back.
N  11th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - RIP OFF
Lutz
Florida

I called in to schedule my appointment as a new patient. I told the receptionist that I wanted to schedule an appointment to have my teeth cleaned. I arrived at the office and was called back and placed in a room that was very outdated and quite frankly very dirty. There was 1/4 inch of dust on the surface of the trash can and many other area of the room. There was hair of different lengths and colors on the floor and the exam chair. This lead me to believe that it had been a while since anybody really cleaned the room properly. After I was able to push past my disqust of the room condition I was informed by the lady that was in the room with me that they had checked my insurance and I have no xray claims on my insurance and that we would be doing exrays. I explained to her that I had just had a full mouth x-ray done 8 months ago with my previous Dentist. She said they were still required and also tried to sell me on a cancer screen. I declined the cancer screening and allowed the x-rays to be taken only because I was under the impression that I had to have them done if I wanted to have my cleaning and exam. She went ahead and took 18 un-needed xrays of my mouth and when she was finishing up she was explaining to me that I would have to come back to have my teeth cleaned. At this point, I became pretty furious and began to question what was being done and why I was misinformed of theservices I would be recieving when I came in. I asked to speak with the Office Manager and was greeted by a woman who looked like she could care less about my complaint. I expressed to her my concerns and told her I felt that they tok advantage of the fact that I have insurance and did not have an x-ray claim in with my insurance provider. I explained that had I been informed that I needed xrays to be seen by the Doctor, I would have gladly brought in my films from my previous provider. She apologized but offered no remedy to the situation. I made sure to get copies of my films before leaving the office. Going to a Dentist as a new patient, I expected to walk out with a CLEAN SMILE, instead a left with a DIRTY FROWN. I will never return to ANY COAST dental.
A  30th of Aug, 2013 by    0 Votes
My husband had an appointment, we waited almost 2 hrs. One poor woman was sitting there, told me her husband has been in the back with dentist for over 1 hr. They had arrived 2 hrs. before us. When my husband was finally called back there, he was dismissed by the Dr.Ioana Stoici. She didn't want to deal with a Diabetic (can be moody due to sugar fluctuations), & did not examine him. This doctor is very impatient, has little patient empathy. Other staff members told me that they did not have a problem with my husband. Perhaps, patient relationship is not a priority in her native country...it is here in the USA. According to the number of complaints on this site, Coast needs to do a better job of screening dentists they hire.
A  15th of Apr, 2014 by    0 Votes
This office does sub-par dental work.. Crowns only last a year before looking horrible. OVER priced, under serviced with poor work.
Go elsewhere.

Also, the girl who cleans teeth is an stupid idiot, insist my teeth will fall out if I don't do or buy their products. BAD BAD BAD

Ms. Coleman
N  13th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - personal treatment
6882 Gulfport Blvd
St Petersburg

My 95yr old mother recently had a broken hip surgery. It is very hard for her to get into a car and go outside her living community. 7months ago she was fitted with new upper and lower dentures at Coast Dental, under the supervision of Dr. David Sherberg. After her recent surgery, she was having trouble chewing her food due to a loose lower denture. I had to bring her into Dr. Sherbergs office for what could have been a quick adjustment. Our appointment was for 3:30 and we arrived 3:24pm. After sitting for 25 minutes, my mother was falling asleep in the waiting room. At that time I asked the receptionist how long we would have to wait and if I should rescheduled. She saw how uncomfortable my mother was and went to the back and said "just a few more minutes" so we waited. It was now almost 4pm and I asked for a new appointment with the office manager. She went back into the dentist's area and came back to get my mother. We waited in the dental chair and my mother continued to get uncomfortable and sleepy again. While I got up to leave I overheard Dr Sherberg claim that we "came an hour early" so what was our problem so I proceeded to correct his error and he very RUDELY stated that he was working as fast as he could and that we had the choice to reschedule. He was severely belligerent in his words and tone and continued to give both my mother and I the impression that he could care less about the state of my 95 year old mother's status. I am a reasonable person and understand doctor's offices run behind some times. That is why I asked to reschedule in the first place. We left the office at 4:15 with absolutely NO apology by Dr Sherberg.
N  14th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
You made a BIG mistake taking your elderly mother to a corporate dental chain clinic. Young dentists like the ones who usually work there know little about making and adjusting dentures.

For goodness sakes, find a good dentist who OWNS their own practice. Most of the ones who are good at dentures are older and/or ex-military.

Cheesy chains like the ones you visited overbook the young dentists working there, which almost always results in them running late.
D  16th of Sep, 2015 by    0 Votes
Justin, please call Coast Dental's Patient Quality Assurance team toll-free at (855) 455-6601 so we may gather more information and address your concerns. Thank you.
N  15th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Bait and Switch
5130 Stevens Creek Blvd.
San Jose
California
Phone: 4085579830
www,coastdental.com

I was told that I needed a root canal by my regular dentist. They referred me to another dentist but the cost was $800 so we called our insurance and was referred to Coast Dental as they were "in network" so the root canal is fully covered. We contacted Coast Dental and were told that the root canal is 100% covered so I took the day off and went. Once I arrived, I was examined by the dentist and then told that my root canal would be $800. I asked them why as it was supposed to be fully covered and I was told that there were "special" things that I needed that were not covered. Because I was already there and took the day off, I went ahead with the treatment. When I paid and left I was given a bill that I examined closer at home. There were items like a "rubber dam" that were normally included at no charge per the bill, but the price was adjusted up for me to $330. Other things were also manipulated to make the price higher. Even my regular dentist commented that they "were very creative with the billing" (even though they prefaced that they can not comment bad about another dentist for professional reasons). The treatment was fine and the dentist did a good job, but I was definitely scammed by the office to get me in and pay the same price as any "out of network" dentist would have been. They even sent me an additional bill two weeks later to ask for another $25. When I called their office to complain, the billing lady was not helpful at all and very standoffish. I would not recommend that anyone go to this office and fall prey to their scam as I did.
N  28th of Jul, 2016 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Office Manager Nightmare
Coastdental
Woodstock
Georgia

I have never been talked to so unprofessionally and condescendingly to in my life as the office manager has at the hwy 92 location . How does this lady keep her job! I have had words with her the past two times I have been in there. I cant seem to find a corporate office to contact about her. They also do really cheap crowns. I have had nothing but problems with it since they put it in a year and a half ago. Now its come loose and they claim their not liable for it because I haven't been in their office in a year. "I could have been chewing on rocks" is just one of the comments the office manager said to me . You cannot have a normal professional conversation with this woman, Please do not go to this office or any of their offices.
N  25th of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes

Coast Dental - Awful Experience
Atlanta

DO NOT go to Coast Dental!!! Worst dental experience ever. They nickle and dime you from the second you walk in the door--they are in it to make money, not to care about your dental health. I was told that my cleaning needed to be so extensive that my regular insurance would not even cover it--but that it should cover the follow up appt 4 weeks later. I felt taken advantage of...and will NEVER return!!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree