Certegy / check declined

1 Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:

Here it is the biggest shopping day of the year...black Friday and I have a cart full of Christmas goodies for all my little loved ones and Certegy Check Services decides that they are going to decline my check at K-mart. I was filled with so many emotions, ranging from complete disbelief to rage. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my check, but because of profiling, it was declined. I have NEVER been so humiliated and embarrassed in my life. If stores like K-mart and who only knows who else continue to use a crap company like Certegy to process their checks, they will be sure to lose customers. I certainly hope that no one else was as disappointed as I was today. If dealing with all the chaos that goes on in the stores on this particular day was not enough, having my check declined certainly finished me off.

De

Comments

• Ev
      24th of Apr, 2008

This is the second time my check has been declined by Certegy because of my 'profile'. They state that they only have a 13 month history on me and that is not sufficient to build a valid profile. Further they stated that until they are able to build a valid profile they will continue to decline my checks. I have had the same bank account for 15 years, and have been with the same employer for over 10 years. I have had no problems until last month when the cable company started using this service. I generally write three checks a month - one for my house, one for utilities and one for cable. Everything else I do is either by debit card or electronic payment. These three add a service charge for an electronic payment, so I write them a check.
    I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but if I don't have sufficient activity to build a proper profile, and they will continue to decline my checks until I build a proper profile - how is that profile going to be compiled?!?

• Km
      4th of Jul, 2008

My check was declined even though I have never had a bounced check and I had enough money in the account. I used the check card and it worked. The customer service was an automated system that gave no reason for refusing my check.

• Ta
      7th of Jul, 2008

I am on a business trip and noticed that I left my personal debit card at home. I was thrilled when I saw that Hyatt cashed checks. Certegy declined my check and the Hyatt attendant informed me that I received a code 2. He was ignorant to what a code 2 meant so I had him call Certegy back so I could investigate what a code 2 meant. I didn't understand since I had money to cover the check amount and had never had any check writing issues in the past. Certegy confirmed the facts - 1) I had money in my account and 2) I had not had check writing problems in the past. The Certegy representative, Evandney, indicated that it appeared to be unusual which is a bunch of bull$#!%.

• Ab
      10th of Jul, 2008

I have had a similar incident with Certegy. They declined a check I wrote, I have no history with bad checking writing and the funds were in my account. They indicated because of the amount and the "no history" of check writing.

They suggested I either start off by writing checks with an amount under $100.00 Or complete a form that they will send me via mail to increase my check writing amount.

What BS!!!

• Pa
      5th of Aug, 2008

Made a purchase at Best Buy, wrote a check and it was declined. I am a repeat customer, known in the department for purchasing the same items for my business and usually use a debit card. Didn't have it on me that day. Never had a bank problem, no return checks, no overdrafts, so I was quite upset when my check was declined. The higher ups at Best Buy were clueless. They said they valued my business but...I told them I would go across the street Circuit city, which is exactly what I did and my check was accepted there without issues. I called the number given to me for Certegy and like others, followed the voice commands and ended up with no new info. I would like to know if there is a list of businesses that use Certegy so that I can steer clear to avoid holding up lines and being made to feel like a felon writing a bad check.

• Gw
      15th of Aug, 2008

Certegy is really crazy! They decline checks for NO REASON!!!

28th of Nov, 2008

Happened to me while shopping.
    I couldnt get my glasses that I need to drive. They'll never change and it wont get better.

• Ws
      27th of Jan, 2010

Certegy declined one of my personal checks for no apparent reason. A phone call to their customer service is simply a recorder message that says there are no other options. No reason for the declination.. No other options available.

• Th
      21st of Aug, 2010

Checks from both our joint account and my wifes account were rejected by Certegy. The code for the rejection read Although no unpaid check information is on file, Certegy did not have sufficient information available to approve the transaction, or this transaction exceeded a pre-established limit. Both accounts had sufficient funds and it caused us to waste an hour having to go to the bank to obtain cash to pay for the body repair of her car.

• Lu
      24th of Oct, 2010

I went to Tire Kingdom on 10/23/10 for car repairs. I went to pick up my car and pay with a check and my check was declined. When I called Centergy to find out why the representative checked and said there was no problem with the account. She said it just was not approved. She then said "is there anything else you need?" and hung up. There are more than enough funds in the account to cover the check. I am handicapped and missed a doctor's appointment that will cost me $40 dollars because I did not have my car to go. This is a vary poor way of doing business and, in the future, I will make sure that anyone I do business with does not use this company for check verification.