Certegy / check approvals - this is not consumer protection - this is fraudulent!

I had an experience this past weekend, similar to one that I read about on your website. I wrote a check at a Home Depot. The check was denied, with no explanation. I was eventually told to contact Certegy, the company that approves the checks.

Certegy had no information that would suggest that they should deny a check written from this account, other than citing that the amount was a large amount ($600), while I have thousands of dollars sitting in that account.

They offered me an opportunity to fill out a Gold application that would give them additional personal information about me, and would allow me to write checks from this account. I have no plans to do so.

This is not consumer protection... this is fraudulent. I have made a complaint to the FTC. I am also looking for other government agencies to look into this. I have seen other complaints about Certegy on the internet.

Comments

• To
      19th of Jul, 2007

I had a similar incident with Certegy, both on my own and with a client. I posted it on my blog awhile back, and I'll provide the link if you're interested. I'd like to see these guys get shut-out of the check verifications business completely!
    My post about them is located at:

• Te
      7th of Aug, 2007

Besides the FTC, you may want to file a complaint with your local attorney general, and with the attorney general of the state Certegy's home office is in (Florida?). There is no excuse for this kind of blackmail/bait and switch tactic of refusing checks and then asking for a fee to not refuse them. It sounds like a "protection" scam fun by the Mafia!

• Te
      7th of Aug, 2007

This is a link to the Florida Attorney General's office to file a complaint about Certegy. Any readers may also want to google "certegy class action" to get the addresses of law firms considering class action suits against Certegy.

14th of Aug, 2007

Find out what info Certegy has on file about you:

UNITED STATES - Consumers - Certegy Check Services Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act ("FACT") Disclosure Request Instructions.

How to Request Your Free Annual File Disclosure from Certegy Check Services:

The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, usually referred to as the FACT Act, gives consumers the ability to request a free copy of their file from any consumer reporting agency once during any 12-month period. Certegy Check Services is a “specialty consumer reporting agency” under the FACT Act and maintains a toll-free telephone number for consumers to request a copy of their file.

To request a copy of your file, you can call our special toll-free number 24 hours a day. The toll-free number to request a copy of your file from Certegy Check Services is 866-543-6315. This is an automated system and you will be asked to enter your drivers license or state ID number, date of birth, checking account number, and zip code using the keypad on your touch-tone telephone.

Please note: Before calling Certegy to request a copy of your file, have your check and drivers license or state ID card in front of you. Since drivers licenses and state ID’s may include letters as well as numbers, the automated telephone instructions will ask you to “convert” any letter to a number. For your convenience, these instructions are also presented here:

* First press the “#” key on your telephone keypad - this tells the automated system that the next entry will be a letter.
    * Then, press the key on your telephone keypad that contains the letter you want to enter.
    * Since there are several letters on each key, you will then need to tell us which specific letter appears on your license by entering that letter’s position on that key.

For example, if your license number contains the letter “K”, you would first press “#” , telling the system that you are going to enter a letter, followed by pressing “5” since that is where the letter “K” appears on the keypad. Then, you would press “2” since the letter “K” is the second letter on that key. This is illustrated below:

If we cannot validate your identity over the telephone from the information you give us, you will be asked to mail your request.

Also, if you prefer, you may mail your file request to Certegy rather than using the automated telephone system. If you write to Certegy to request your free annual file disclosure, you will need to include a copy of your drivers license, a voided check, and a tax or utility bill to verify that you are entitled to the information that you are requesting. Send the request for your file disclosure to::

Certegy Check Services